follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #3193
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
You might also want to check out the single adjustable coilovers from SACHS. Similar price and design to the Bilsteins, but I believe slightly stiffer spring rates. Front springs are linear and rears are progressive on the SACHS, whereas the Bilsteins are progressive in both the front and rear. I had them on my car for a year and really liked them. Felt great for daily driving, even on the garbage roads around Chicago, and performed pretty well during several track days and autocross events.
What coilovers do you have now? Spring rates?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #3194
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
What coilovers do you have now? Spring rates?
Just Konis and stock springs. I went back to a "stock" class for autocross for awhile. (saving for a wedding)
nikitopo (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #3195
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
great video showing fwd vs rwd lifting wheels respectively
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #3196
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Spring rate determines body roll, damping can only mask an inadequate spring rate. Even the old Ohlins were deemed too soft for most performance tires, most people running their cars on track/autox have gravitated to a 7k+ spring rate to handle <220TW tires.
Well, I like to think that springs and dampers work together as a single part and not independently. If they were independent, then why to have adjustments in coilovers? The perfect match would be just one damper setting for the specific springs.

One more information ...
The Sachs suspension in the PP option, was tested with Dunlop Direzza's ZII. These are quite sticky tires and rated at 200TW. I think the issue with most of the track/autox setups is that they are going too wide for the weight of this car (i.e. 235/245 or even more ). This starts to cause suspension geometry issues and body roll and in such cases the only option is to use stiffer springs.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #3197
thetyrant

Drives: 2012 gt86 Cosworth charged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
True but springs and dampers perform different functions.

I think there was a shift in focus but that shift was to move things closer to the "road" part of the spectrum rather than the "track" part of the spectrum in the Ohlins R&T name. Nothing wrong with that, just IMO they might have moved a little too far to the R.

EDIT: and this is a good discussion! I do in general prefer a somewhat softer set-up than others. Dampers can be tuned in such a way to work with that, and it can be awesome for a fast and fun street car. And bonus, it's usually a little easier to drive quickly. But with stickier tires you will have some compromises and firmer springs will be faster.

- Andrew

Yes Im thinking that's what Ohlins were working on but as you say maybe too far, Ive asked the question to my contact who is manager at German HQ so hopefully he can enlighten us and I will also mention how many people liked the previous kits spring rates as well, maybe they didn't sell enough so changed to to try and open it up to more stock cars.

Ive always preferred to run softer than most as don't mind some roll as long as car still has grip and all wheels on ground, bonus is better ride on road as well.
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #3198
thetyrant

Drives: 2012 gt86 Cosworth charged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
You might also want to check out the single adjustable coilovers from SACHS. Similar price and design to the Bilsteins, but I believe slightly stiffer spring rates. Front springs are linear and rears are progressive on the SACHS, whereas the Bilsteins are progressive in both the front and rear. I had them on my car for a year and really liked them. Felt great for daily driving, even on the garbage roads around Chicago, and performed pretty well during several track days and autocross events.

Yes others have mentioned the Sachs but when I checked prices over here is was near Ohlins money and I know what I would rather have!
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #3199
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, I like to think that springs and dampers work together as a single part and not independently. If they were independent, then why to have adjustments in coilovers? The perfect match would be just one damper setting for the specific springs.
There are people who believe precisely that, once dampers are dialed in there's no reason to touch them. I've heard stories of custom valved Koni's having their adjusters glued down after being dynoed.

Springs and dampers are part of a system, they receive inputs and produce outputs no different than a resistor and capacitor if you're electrically inclined.

Edit: I'm too sick to make coherent thoughts about this right now... basically a spring and damper are performing two completely different tasks in a suspension.

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-05-2017 at 05:48 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #3200
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Taking a tire off the road diminishes your traction by 25%.
You'd think so but it ain't so. Tire loading makes a difference to lateral grip (well contact patch grip technically but for roll effects are talking about lateral grip ).
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #3201
Gforce
Banned

Quote:
And they do. Nobody fits a spring without a matching damper nor a damper without a spring to damp. There is a surprisingly narrow range of damper/spring combinations that will work well I need any given situation. A wise buyer considers the damper and spring to be one unit. Actually, a wise buyer considers all four springs, dampers and the two roll bars as a single component that must be engineered together.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #3202
Purist

Hi,

Firstly, thanks so much for offering what amounts to free consulting on suspension. It's really appreciated!

I feel that my 100% stock car is understeering on certain corners at our hillclimb track. The two corners are positioned such that I need to accelerate though them (one just after the start and one at the top of a hill, so I'm not carrying sufficient speed to warrant the hard braking which loosens the rear and helps the car to rotate). The tyres also show wear all the way to the outside shoulder, but nearly 0.5" of unused tread on the inside. The tyres are A050s.

I'm happy with the damping and rebound, I feel like it needs a couple of degrees of camber to help with front end grip on these slower corners. I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

Thanks again
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #3203
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,273 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Hi,

Firstly, thanks so much for offering what amounts to free consulting on suspension. It's really appreciated!

I feel that my 100% stock car is understeering on certain corners at our hillclimb track. The two corners are positioned such that I need to accelerate though them (one just after the start and one at the top of a hill, so I'm not carrying sufficient speed to warrant the hard braking which loosens the rear and helps the car to rotate). The tyres also show wear all the way to the outside shoulder, but nearly 0.5" of unused tread on the inside. The tyres are A050s.

I'm happy with the damping and rebound, I feel like it needs a couple of degrees of camber to help with front end grip on these slower corners. I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

Thanks again
Yes you could definitely use a good alignment. More front camber...a lot more than stock (hence the worn outside shoulders and unused inners). I would suggest camber plates and rear lower control arms to get everything right. Those tires are pretty sticky/serious so ideally you'd add stiffer springs and bushings if that's in the budget or rules.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
WRBrzRX (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #3204
Purist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Yes you could definitely use a good alignment. More front camber...a lot more than stock (hence the worn outside shoulders and unused inners). I would suggest camber plates and rear lower control arms to get everything right. Those tires are pretty sticky/serious so ideally you'd add stiffer springs and bushings if that's in the budget or rules.

- Andrew
Thanks mate. That's pretty much what I thought. I've been told that the OEM springs are too big in diameter to allow enough movement of the strut with a camber plate so looks like its going to be a set of coilovers or nothing.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #3205
nikitopo

Here is the testing of the Sachs dampers which appeared later in the performance package. As you can see the tires are R-spec tires 215-millimeter front and 225-millimeter rear. It looks that with these dimensions the stock spring rates are fine. Things are starting to go out of spec if you go larger than 225-millimeter.

Following is an excerpt:
"It turns in harder, holds more mid corner speed and has better traction under hard acceleration. It can still be provoked into gentle tail slides but it all happens at much higher speeds than the regular set-up.

The improved suspension settings also play a much greater role as it reaches the limit of adhesion too. There is less body roll and pitch, which helps give it a more neutral handling balance, and the better bump absorption means it doesn't lose traction as easily on rough surfaces or mid-corner irregularities."

Source: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...68&postcount=1
Old 06-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #3206
Gforce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Hi,

Thanks again
Are you sure it's not the Torsen diff developing push? Are you allowed by your Rules to add front negative camber? For your requirements the front axle would benefit from more static front camber. If the surface is loose (paved or unpaved course?) then especially at low speeds with some significant steering lock the Torsen will behave as if it is a pure locker and simply drive the front tires sideways. Even on dry pavement this will occur with significant throttle. The braking you refer to more likely releases the Torsen than allows rotation as you describe. To drift this low powered car you would lift off sharply just as you turn in sharply and then jam the throttle to the floor. I notice other posters think this induces the drift because of the suspension but I think that's how the Torsen operates. Indeed, I think the Torsen Toyota asked Subaru to use has a high bias ratio for this reason.