follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #3179
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,399 Times in 5,262 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangson View Post
I wish the + / - on the auto's manual mode were reversed. (ex: pull back for +)

on the 2017's, i don't like steering wheel buttons. I wonder if the steering wheel can be swapped for the previous years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectoniic View Post
You can take apart the housing on the gear selector and actually swap the connectors to make pulling back + instead

I think @finch1750 did this and may have done a DYI somewhere around here
Someone else did the DIY. I posted pics of how i modded the MT shift boot to go over the AT trim.

Cant find the thread I posted in but here is the DIY
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21741

If you want to use the MT shift boot msg me and I'll see if I have the pics still

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #3180
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan84 View Post
Let me just preface this post by saying my previous long term car was a 2001 Celica. Maybe it's because I was a Celica owner, but I see a lot of influence from the last gen Celica in the FR-S. Some times it fucks with me and I think I'm in the Celica because the FR-S doesn't feel like a completely different car.

Having to pull up on the shift knob to go into reverse.

The rims.

I wish the white portion of the tail lights were amber.

The clock being so low.

The window switches being low as well and not on the center console (like the Celica).

The center console itself.

The Scion brand

The red and black interior.

The visibility seems more restricted compared to the Celica.

The lack of a CD player.

Not being able to choose a wallpaper/screen saver for the head unit.

Not being able to listen to music using the car's audio system while the car is off for over an hour because the battery will die.

I think that's everything. I hope no one gets the wrong impression, I am in love with this car. Pretty sure, I'll keep it for as long as I can.
Your hate about the battery dying was the first time I have read a complaint but it happened to me too and I thought (and so did the mechanic who gave me a jumpstart) that I must have been using some other accessories. I wasn't actually using the audio but I was fiddling with the oe GPS.
Is the secret out about an inadequate battery or there another cause?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #3181
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The little pocket in the front knuckle thats tucked into the front strut is always filled with a dense little cobweb and a dead spider everytime I take it apart.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #3182
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I hate that I can't park it in my living room.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #3183
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,641 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I hate that my car is black.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #3184
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I hate that my car is black.
Black cars matter

(braces self for ban hammer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
8RZ (11-01-2016), MasonL1997 (11-06-2016), p1l0t (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #3185
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,641 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Black cars matter

(braces self for ban hammer)
Embrace the ban!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (10-31-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #3186
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I hate that my driver's door ALWAYS seems to want to amputate my leg as I'm getting out.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Songha For This Useful Post:
allowe (11-02-2016), Dadhawk (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #3187
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
I don't hate them, but the crickets are disappointing.
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #3188
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,189 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
The car is awesome but there are little thingsthat should've been there or need to be fixed like:

-horn (maybe I'm used to having hella horns on every car I've owned but seriously?) valid point but easily fixed
-centre console (who came up with that design.. I don't want a sutty arm rest because I use my cup holders and I don't wanna leave that exposed because I put my phone, USB, crack change and wallet there).
-fuel filter (a bitch to replace.. why couldn't it be outside the canister?) Why are you replacing fuel filters? That's something that shouldn't need to be touched for 100-150k miles easily
-stock tires (at first I thought they were ok but I drove it in the rain and man do they like to slip) Easy fix. Also, they're not bad rain tires
-no lock on glovebox. (It would've been nice)
-no steering wheel audio control (this one pissed me off a lot. The most basic cars have those. The wheel has space for them so why didn't they?! If there is an aftermarket alternative, please let me know!) Its a sports car focused on driving, so why clutter the wheel?
-no dte (distance till empty)..(seriously why not ?, it would be very helpful to know how much range you have before you're out).
-clutch (I don't mind the catch point, I do mind the softness of it! It's way too soft! Maybe I'm just used to driving a stage 1 clutch but I seriously hate the feel of the clutch)
-speakers (they're not horrible but my 2004 Sentra ser spec v had a way better sound system.. even my jeep sounds better)
-the silver plastics ( SO UGLY and get scratched easy!)
- belt cutting my neck Are you short? That's an interesting complaint
- back seats (I honestly think they could've squeezed 2-4 inches more space from taking trunk space and making the seats smaller thus making the leg room better.. needless to say, I drive my sister home everyday while my girlfriend is at the front and everyone seems fine!)
-trunk height (WHY IS IT 14 INCHES?!!!!!! You can't fit a decent 12 Inch subwoofer in there without doing something drastic! I had to take out my spare tire and all the stuff surrounding it to put my 14 inch box... space could've been made by shaving off the tire space) You bought a lightweight sports car, and you're complaining about not having enough room for a heavy subwoofer? Perhaps you bought the wrong car
-no hood dampers (you have them on the trunk, why not the hood? Make it an option, I'll pay for it!) Dampers add weight, and the hood is lightweight so dampers aren't needed.
-93 octane recommendation (it's non existent in Ontario) Not the carmakers fault
-no hid or led lights (the halogens are actually not bad but cmon it's a 2013+ car.. that was my first mod that I did the same day I got the car) Buy the Subaru instead? Where HIDs are standard.
-NO FOGLIGHTS AS STANDARD (I can buy a kit for 50 bucks but it's not about the money... the car is 2013+, why am I paying like 600 for them to put foglights on a car that should've already had them... Foglights add weight. This car is about lightness
-paint chips easily. (Without a touch up pen, my car would look like a It it's got chicken pox. name another low slung sports car where paint chipping isn't a problem
- windshield is made of egg shells (I've met 2 people with hairline cracks and both say they were driving and got hit by a stone chip..
- rims (ugly)
- no third brake light (ordered one and coming soon by it fools you thinking you have one but you don't! huh?
-interior rattle (just gotta ignore that)
-horrible throttle response (I've posted a video about how dead the throttle pedal is)
-door storage space (I got a cologne, small snacks and some pens.. that's all I can fit in there) It's a small car, what do you want from them?
-no sunroof (I'm glad it's not there for weight but the option would've been nice) Difficult to engineer given this car's frame. Certainly not worth the engineering expense to offer it as an option
-brakes (they're okay in performance... but they should've painted them red or made them look a bit better) the stock brakes are MORE THAN up to the task of slowing this car quickly, and repeatably. Okay? In comparison to what?

I'll add more if I can think of extras but most of those are just nit picks so don't flame my post. I LOVE this car. I seriously do, it becomes alive in the mountains and it's like my baby, I wouldn't let anyone touch it. Also, most of the stuff on that list, once you're driving, you'll forget about them. But it would've been nice to have them like an armrest and cup holders separate.. I seriously don't get that stupid Design! I've knocked those cup holders so many times because of a large drink or object being in them. And what's even dumber, is the location of that cig lighter port. If you spill a drink in there, you'd be lucky if you just blow a fuse and not something more serious. On top of that, you'll probably be driving too which would be a disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad you love your car, but I feel like you didn't realize you were buying a sports car, built with an emphasis on lightweight and small size.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #3189
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Coming from my reference frame of a Golf TDI with heated seats, more refinement, and a longer range:

- The heated seats barely work, to the point where I wonder if they're actually broken. If they're not broken, they're disgraceful once you've experienced real heated seats. I dislike this far more than any other points.
- The 22,500 mile transmission fluid change interval. Ridiculous.
- The crappy, skinny prius tires that came on it.
- Small gas tank but I can only complain so much seeing as how the range is adequate for a sports car and I was spoiled by the old car.
- The little button that holds the seatbelt off of my neck comes undone a lot. I wish they had a better fastener there.
- Anything with a Scion logo/badge on it.
- Until I looked at it, I thought this car had a hatch configuration, not a trunk. I feel like a hatch would have been a better configuration with the ability to fold down the rear seats. Think Corvette, Z, etc. and the surprisingly good utility that their hatches provide.

Nothing really, really bugs me other than how terrible the seat heaters are. I still love the car overall.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #3190
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The torque dip.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #3191
fizzymike

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
The torque dip.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
You should do a stage 1 tune, throttle response feels much smoother and more linear.
fizzymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #3192
thatchmaster

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Coming from my reference frame of a Golf TDI with heated seats, more refinement, and a longer range:

- The heated seats barely work, to the point where I wonder if they're actually broken. If they're not broken, they're disgraceful once you've experienced real heated seats. I dislike this far more than any other points.
Quote:
Nothing really, really bugs me other than how terrible the seat heaters are. I still love the car overall.
Care to elaborate? Is it a lack of heat, speed to heat?

I find that seat heaters vary _widely_ between manufacturers. Ideally, you have a lo-mid-hi setup, but most of the Japanese models I've used don't have that setup (86/FR-S/BRZ, CR-V, GT-R).

Per the manual, our settings are 'normal' and 'rapid'--though there's no explanation around the expected output from those settings. My experience [and assumption] is that rapid heats quickly, and hotter than normal, but is cyclical in nature if you leave it on for a while. Normal heats lower and slower, but maintains the temperature. I typically use rapid to get the seat heated, and then flip to normal if I want to keep it going for a while or going to be on the highway for a bit.

I much prefer this to something like the 'hot' setting of the CR-V, which is uncomfortably hot. The GT-R is set up just like the 86/FR-S/BRZ where "HI" is "To heat the seat quickly" and "LO" is "To keep the seat warm".

I'm there there's plenty of thought that goes in to the temperature curves/output on these. If your complaint is a lack of heat, either your seats are malfunctioning or Toyota/FHI are too conservative for your liking.
thatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ha ha!, hate, playerhatersball, potatopants