follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #295
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
This kit looks so clean and factory, Subaru should really 1 up Toyota and re-release the STI BRZ with this preinstalled. I'm sure Subaru has enough profits to make this doable for $33k.

I mean don't get me wrong its not an awesome HP numbers; but it's damn high enough to make the car not feel like a fat big pushing a pine cone out of its ___ hole.

+1 Edelbrock
250ish whp and a table top torque curve in a car that's less than 3k lbs. Sure on paper it's nothing compared to a lot of other cars. But in practice I'd bet that thing will scoot.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #296
sumgai

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 18 Colorado ZR2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best lurker checking in, I'm very interested in this kit. Here's a good install video i found this evening made by a vendor on here, i don't know how to alert them to see this post. @titanmotorsports

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4pFiWOMPQ"]Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger FRS / BRZ Install - YouTube[/ame]
sumgai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sumgai For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (11-06-2015), itsibarra (11-09-2015), j123ic (11-07-2015), new2subaru (11-07-2015), Shankenstein (11-06-2015), shiumai (11-06-2015), Yoda (11-07-2015), zigzagz94 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #297
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Reading just the quote you posted sounds correct. We have seen Canadian 91 octane is pretty much the same as California/Nevada/Arizona 91 octane. Basically it is pretty crappy and it is our basis for tuning most cars. The only fuel we have found to be worse is South Africa.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Ah great! I want this edelbrock kit... But live in South Africa. What do you recommend then? Any solutions we can live with here, or is e85 the only real solution???
It gets hot in SA, and I want a reliable SC (+tune).
Does it mean sacrificing a few hp?
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #298
illmatic

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT, 02 AW, 03PSM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Ah great! I want this edelbrock kit... But live in South Africa. What do you recommend then? Any solutions we can live with here, or is e85 the only real solution???
It gets hot in SA, and I want a reliable SC (+tune).
Does it mean sacrificing a few hp?
Have you considered meth/water injection?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:45 AM   #299
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
Have you considered meth/water injection?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Not sure what you mean?
It's also a case of availability here... We don't get e15/85 at the pumps, so I'd need to make another plan.

I'm wondering if a simple octane booster is an option!?
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #300
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oil Cooler Update

As some of you who have been following this thread have known, folks with the Jackson Racing oil cooler (NA Version) are required to relocate the the heat exchanger. The JR oil cooler original position is in the same area that the Edelbrock Low Temp Radiator (LTR) will reside. Reference Post

Initially, the natural idea was to relocate the cooler forward and below the crash beam to make room for the LTR. Reference Post Although this method is not completely unorthodox, the obstruction the oil cooler has become for the Edelbrock LTR is more substantial than expected. In cruising conditions, I was logging almost 40°F higher Intake Air Temperature (IAT) than ambient. Highest peak IAT during autocrossing in 82°F ambient was 153°F. This was costing me ignition timing and ultimately power.

Looking for yet another alternative location for the oil cooler I noticed that there is a decent amount of flat real estate just in front of all of the other heat exchangers. In my line of work, I've seen heat exchangers mounted flat in the past. I was thinking that there should be a pressure differential between the front opening of the bumper and the high speed air flowing beneath the front of the car, it seemed reasonable the oil cooler could operate laying flat.

Drop down brackets from the crash beam to the oil cooler.

I may make a mesh grill to protect the cooler and I still need to create a better seal around the opening and the oil cooler, but so far I have seen a noticeable improvement. I've observed a drop in cruising IAT temps of 11-20°F! I still need to log more and see what my temps peak at during autocross or canyon driving but the change has shown promise. In addition, oil temps have only displayed about a 6°F increase. Again, I still have more data to gather, but I'm convinced that you do not want to obstruct the Edelbrock LTR if you care about IAT's.

-Aaron
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (11-10-2015), Cesium Rainbow (01-16-2019), clayrush (11-10-2015), CxG (11-10-2015), EJ. (02-22-2016), Fever (11-10-2015), Freeman (11-10-2015), j123ic (11-11-2015), MaximeT (11-10-2015), NotSoJDM (11-10-2015), sato (11-10-2015), Summerwolf (11-10-2015), Trefoil (01-30-2016)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #301
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro22 View Post
As some of you who have been following this thread have known, folks with the Jackson Racing oil cooler (NA Version) are required to relocate the the heat exchanger. The JR oil cooler original position is in the same area that the Edelbrock Low Temp Radiator (LTR) will reside. Reference Post

Initially, the natural idea was to relocate the cooler forward and below the crash beam to make room for the LTR. Reference Post Although this method is not completely unorthodox, the obstruction the oil cooler has become for the Edelbrock LTR is more substantial than expected. In cruising conditions, I was logging almost 40°F higher Intake Air Temperature (IAT) than ambient. Highest peak IAT during autocrossing in 82°F ambient was 153°F. This was costing me ignition timing and ultimately power.

Looking for yet another alternative location for the oil cooler I noticed that there is a decent amount of flat real estate just in front of all of the other heat exchangers. In my line of work, I've seen heat exchangers mounted flat in the past. I was thinking that there should be a pressure differential between the front opening of the bumper and the high speed air flowing beneath the front of the car, it seemed reasonable the oil cooler could operate laying flat.

I may make a mesh grill to protect the cooler and I still need to create a better seal around the opening and the oil cooler, but so far I have seen a noticeable improvement. I've observed a drop in cruising IAT temps of 11-20°F! I still need to log more and see what my temps peak at during autocross or canyon driving but the change has shown promise. In addition, oil temps have only displayed about a 6°F increase. Again, I still have more data to gather, but I'm convinced that you do not want to obstruct the Edelbrock LTR if you care about IAT's.

-Aaron
Those brackets look very well constructed! It's pretty awesome to see people putting forth the effort for a 'pro' fit/finish install! One bit of caution from me would be, that is a pretty vulnerable spot for damage to the cooler. Previously, I had hit a piece of semi-truck tire on the highway at about 75pmh and it obliterated that plastic piece you trimmed to allow air to get to your cooler. It also dented my aluminum undertray and the heatshield around the cat on my front pipe. I would be cautious of the fact that you could damage your cooler/line in the event of impact with anything from the road. Obviously the likelihood of this happening is pretty low, but you may be able to construct some sort of aluminum scoop to direct air in, while doubling as an added layer of protection from debris?
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-10-2015), CxG (11-10-2015), Nitro22 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #302
Nitro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
Those brackets look very well constructed! It's pretty awesome to see people putting forth the effort for a 'pro' fit/finish install! One bit of caution from me would be, that is a pretty vulnerable spot for damage to the cooler. Previously, I had hit a piece of semi-truck tire on the highway at about 75pmh and it obliterated that plastic piece you trimmed to allow air to get to your cooler. It also dented my aluminum undertray and the heatshield around the cat on my front pipe. I would be cautious of the fact that you could damage your cooler/line in the event of impact with anything from the road. Obviously the likelihood of this happening is pretty low, but you may be able to construct some sort of aluminum scoop to direct air in, while doubling as an added layer of protection from debris?

Yes, there is definitely a added risk of damage. I'm possibly looking into adding a mesh grill to give some protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #303
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Also had a problem with a piece of a semi truck tire... Very damaging to my car. Try to have the strongest protection you can think of

Sent using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sato For This Useful Post:
Nitro22 (11-10-2015), NotSoJDM (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #304
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, there is definitely a added risk of damage. I'm possibly looking into adding a mesh grill to give some protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let us know what you decide to do for protection in that area. It is a really great idea, especially in terms of space savings. I just really worry about hanging something as critical as my oil supply in a spot that susceptible to impact. Having a nice robust solution in that area would be awesome.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
Nitro22 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #305
Nitro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
Let us know what you decide to do for protection in that area. It is a really great idea, especially in terms of space savings. I just really worry about hanging something as critical as my oil supply in a spot that susceptible to impact. Having a nice robust solution in that area would be awesome.
Yes, I agree. Severely damaging the oil cooler would mean instant tow truck for sure. I'll see what I can come up with for a guard to protect it. I guess one of the important points to take from my earlier post is that you don't want to obstruct the cool air flow for the Edelbrock LTR.

Oh btw, I just found this online. It is a trans cooler on the 2016 Camaro. Not as critical as oil, but nice to know the idea isn't too far fetched.

Thanks,
-Aaron
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-10-2015), mokinbird87 (11-10-2015), NotSoJDM (11-10-2015), Summerwolf (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #306
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
There was a product for corvettes that had a little scoop on the skidplate. It directed air at the intake. Maybe not so dramatic, but something like that could help cooling and maybe provide a little protection.

Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #307
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, I agree. Severely damaging the oil cooler would mean instant tow truck for sure. I'll see what I can come up with for a guard to protect it. I guess one of the important points to take from my earlier post is that you don't want to obstruct the cool air flow for the Edelbrock LTR.

Oh btw, I just found this online. It is a trans cooler on the 2016 Camaro. Not as critical as oil, but nice to know the idea isn't too far fetched.

Thanks,
-Aaron
I dont think it is a bad idea at all. A stone to more likely to pass through the radiator mounted up front than one facing down like this.

Problem you might have is that some air is being pushed down and out, rather than through the intercooler/Water/AC radiators....
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #308
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
There was a product for corvettes that had a little scoop on the skidplate. It directed air at the intake. Maybe not so dramatic, but something like that could help cooling and maybe provide a little protection.

This is exactly what I was about to suggest for a cover except facing backwards since the air will be flowing into the front, down and out.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
sato (11-10-2015)