follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #2899
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would 255 width tires on a 17x9 even be worth it or should I stick with 245's?

15' BRZ Limited 6MT Ice Silver Metalic
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #2900
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
Would 255 width tires on a 17x9 even be worth it or should I stick with 245's?

15' BRZ Limited 6MT Ice Silver Metalic

The car feels better on 245s to me. I've run a few sets of both on 17x9. I like the look of the meaty sidewall on 255 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #2901
15limited

I got 245's just for the shear price difference from my supplier. So with stock springs/struts will I need to run camber bolts up front for clearance/performance. Toe arms to stabalize the wider wheels?

Wheel: 17x9 Weds TC10-N +35
Tires: Fallken RT615K 245/40/17
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #2902
acwells25

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven Black)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, I'm a relative noob when it comes to wheel sizing, but I'm looking for some help in switching out my 2013 Scion FR-S from the stock 17's to Five Axis 5AD 19" R5-F's Front: 19x8.5 +45 Rear: 19x9.5 +45...I've got the 5AD Aero kit installed on the car and given the fact I'm up in Canada, our roads suck in most cases so I haven't had any issues with height with the 17's so I'd like to stay as close to the stock height that the 17's are giving me now...I was initially told 225/35R19 (Front) and 245/30R19 (Rear) were my only options to keep at the same height and clearance but I've since heard otherwise. I'd like to be able to minimize the financial damage rubberizing this b!+ch is gonna cost me! lol. Where I am in Canada, we don't have access to much and stuff coming across the border right now is just wicked! If anyone could help me out with some options for rubber keeping the specs I'm looking for, I'd appreciate it. Also as I said, being a noob...(I didn't want to use lowering springs or coil overs, but I will if I have to) if I need camber adjustments please go ahead and tell me?

Thanks
acwells25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #2903
itswences

Drives: 2014 Brz stock.
Does 18x9.5 +38 on sportlines have any room for camber bolts?
itswences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #2904
AngryS13

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
I've been doing a lot of research for my wheels and would like to receive some feedback if possible. This is the most brain crunching I've ever done on wheel selection on any vehicle, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I was interested in a stagger setup at first.
I have HKS Hipermax IV GT coilovers.

front:
18x8.5 +38

rear
18x9.5 +42

I believed, after all my math and looking around, that this would get me the look I was going for (very minor/no poke).

My wheel selection is pretty limited, I'm only interested in about 3 or 4 types. One of the selections has a fixed offset of:
18x8.5 +35 front
18x9.5 +35 rear

I realize it's only a minor difference in the front, and 7mm in the rear, but I was pretty concerned about the poke, still, and worth my time or if I should just skip it. The other wheels are 3 piece, and allow me to have the offset I originally desired, if it would work better.

Looking to run 225/40/18 in front, 255/35/18 in rear.

I've seen all the pics and all the threads (even though some threads are missing quite a few pics), but looking for solid feedback on actual poke or not with these. I've done the wheel calculators and the FRS calculator, didn't seem that there would be an issue. Just looking for first hand experience.

Thanks in advance
AngryS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #2905
swarb

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
@AngryS13 I have 18x9.5 +34 and they poke with 2.9 camber. I would suggest you get +42.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #2906
AngryS13

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
@AngryS13 I have 18x9.5 +34 and they poke with 2.9 camber. I would suggest you get +42.
Thanks very much for that info.
I am assuming this is for the rear, so yes, thanks a lot again for that.
AngryS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #2907
SHWNBRZ

Drives: '08 MX5 6MT & '15 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/sacairsoftsnoopy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6868_zpsi***pgn3.jpg[/IMG]

Photos are of the clearance between Michelin PSS 225/45/17 on the stock 17x7 +48 wheels.

I have RCE Yellows, 14mm OEM crash bolt on the top, SPC adjustable camber bolt at the bottom. 300 or so miles after the install, 2 days ago.

I have the following alignment specs:

Front Driver Side: -1.6 camber
Front Passenger side: -1.6 camber
0 total toe up front

Rear Driver side: -1.4 camber
Rear Passenger side: -1.3 camber
1/16" total toe

I don't race around on the track though I do take on corners on the aggressive side when there's no cops/traffic. I do a lot of highway driving. On a rare occasion, I'll go on drives around the mountains/twisties.

As can be seen, clearance for the said camber/tire/suspension setting is on the closer side of things. I used a paint brush to check for clearance. The driver side clears it just fine. The passenger side, I have to finesse the paint brush handle to go through with little to no resistance. This is of course going by feel.

Digital caliper says that the said paint brush handle was about 7.75mm thick.

Found a wheel/offset clearance calculator which I just accidentally closed. Yes, I have to find it.

According to it, when moving from a 17x7 +48 wheel to a 17x8.25 +35 wheel (xxr 527 17x8.25 +35 0ffset), the rim will stick in about 3mm towards the car...the rest of the width sticks out away from the car.

Going with this, I may lose another 3mm of clearance...leaving me with 4.7mm (.185"). That's a bit close for comfort to me as I'm not very experienced with settings and what not.

I've read that 3-5mm spacers would be the widest thickness that we can use to increase clearance without using extended studs. Adding another 3mm to the 4.7mm clearance will put me at about .3"/7.7mm...

Thoughts?

Edit: If anything, it looks like it'll be the tire's side wall and the surface of the spring that are closest to each other. Will it rub at 4.7mm/ 7.7mm when cornering hard? I'm on Michelin Pilot Super Sports if that matters.

Anyone in here running the same setup/specs?
SHWNBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHWNBRZ For This Useful Post:
MrDinkleman (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #2908
tcai1976

Drives: 2015 FR-S Hot Lava
I need a more experienced wheel tech to confirm my calculations and results with the wheel fitment calculators:

Planning on picking up a squared setup:
Niche Verona M149 at 19x8.5 +40 with 225/35R19 tires

Will these fit with my TRD spring without rubbing?

The FITMENT Calculator and ElementWheels.com indicates an acceptable fit.
The Offset Charts contain no information for this setup.
tcai1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #2909
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHWNBRZ View Post
Thoughts?
Nothing to help you but I wanted to thank you for the photos. My plan is to go 225/50-16 and I was wondering what clearances would be like. I can't decide between 16X7 or 16X8 though both have the same 45mm offset. So, at least my wheel/tire combo will actually be pushed away from the strut...

Edit: Actually, I did have a thought that might help:
Quote:
According to it, when moving from a 17x7 +48 wheel to a 17x8.25 +35 wheel (xxr 527 17x8.25 +35 0ffset), the rim will stick in about 3mm towards the car...the rest of the width sticks out away from the car.

Going with this, I may lose another 3mm of clearance...leaving me with 4.7mm (.185"). That's a bit close for comfort to me as I'm not very experienced with settings and what not.

Where the rim edge ends up is not really important. What matters is what tire size are you going to go with? If you are planning to use the same 225/45-17 then the tire center will move out 13mm due to the Offset moving out 13mm. Stretching the tire from a 7" rim to an 8.25" rim will increase the section width to something wider than 225mm. Using a little geometry, I would estimate that the total section width will increase about 16mm (to a total 241mm) and so the tire sidewall will be 8mm wider towards the inside. Since you are moving the whole tire out 13mm but making the tire 8mm wider, you should actually be increasing clearance between the sidewall and the strut by about 5mm.

That is what the math tells me, anyhow...

Last edited by MrDinkleman; 12-01-2015 at 07:12 PM.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
SHWNBRZ (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #2910
SHWNBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
Nothing to help you but I wanted to thank you for the photos. My plan is to go 225/50-16 and I was wondering what clearances would be like. I can't decide between 16X7 or 16X8 though both have the same 45mm offset. So, at least my wheel/tire combo will actually be pushed away from the strut...

Edit: Actually, I did have a thought that might help:

Where the rim edge ends up is not really important. What matters is what tire size are you going to go with? If you are planning to use the same 225/45-17 then the tire center will move out 13mm due to the Offset moving out 13mm. Stretching the tire from a 7" rim to an 8.25" rim will increase the section width to something wider than 225mm. Using a little geometry, I would estimate that the total section width will increase about 16mm (to a total 241mm) and so the tire sidewall will be 8mm wider towards the inside. Since you are moving the whole tire out 13mm but making the tire 8mm wider, you should actually be increasing clearance between the sidewall and the strut by about 5mm.

That is what the math tells me, anyhow...
Thanks for doing math and sharing your thoughts man. I appreciate it.

I was thinking that while the wheel's inner lip may move 3mm towards the car, the tire might stretch towards the inside of the car which should help me with getting more clearance between the sleeve on the spring and the sidewall of the tires. I will be using the 225/45/17's that I currently have on right now.

FYI, I used this calculator to determine how much more the inner lip of the wheel will go in...

http://tiwing.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

I used another calculator last time that yielded the same result but couldn't find it...been on my phone all day.

Also, if I had stayed with the stock camber settings, I'd have a lot more clearance than what I have right now....
Old 12-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #2911
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Quote:
I was thinking that while the wheel's inner lip may move 3mm towards the car, the tire might stretch towards the inside of the car which should help me with getting more clearance between the sleeve on the spring and the sidewall of the tires. I will be using the 225/45/17's that I currently have on right now.

You mean the tire will stretch towards the outside of the car? The inner lip will move 3mm towards the car but the outer lip will move 29mm to the outside of the car. The tire should center itself on the wheel, assuming the construction is perfectly symmetrical. So if you move the offset out (lower) then the tire will move with it. But, like I said, putting the same tire on a wider wheel will make the tire's section width wider. So it is not a 1:1 shift on the inner sidewall. I think my estimate is in the ballpark; the only thing left to do is to try it...

Quote:
FYI, I used this calculator to determine how much more the inner lip of the wheel will go in...

http://tiwing.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

I used another calculator last time that yielded the same result but couldn't find it...been on my phone all day.....
Yeah, I've seen these and other calculators. But wheel clearance, on the inside does not seem to be the issue for 17inch wheels and smaller on these cars. If you look at your pictures, the inner wheel lip is below the spring perch so it won't be hitting it. It will be an issue for 18" and larger wheels. Again, looking at your pics, the problem is the sidewall hitting the spring/perch which those calculators does not address.

Edit: Found it!
This is the tire comparison link you need since your issue is the tire-to-spring clearance, not the wheel-to-spring clearance:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php....25&offset2=35

Notice that this calculator also shows that your tire-to-spring clearance will increase...

Last edited by MrDinkleman; 12-02-2015 at 12:44 PM.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
SHWNBRZ (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #2912
SHWNBRZ

I guess I worded things incorrectly. ESL kicked in. Lol. Yeah. I meant that with a wider wheel, the tires would stretch towards the outside of the car (as you said...centering itself on the wheel) should then increase the clearance between the sleeve on the spring and the sidewall of the tire. Sorry about the confusion and thanks for the link.

I've come across it in the past.

Putting down your thoughts into words has been much appreciated dude

Tags
fitment, flush, offset, rays volk te37's, rims, rotas, size, spacers, width