follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
evostanman
Member
 
evostanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2013 Evo X GSR
Location: Socal
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wonder why the Evo X is not on your list... oh well!

I would choose the STI/wrx since it's the only "close" option to the Evo X... Scarcely!
__________________
2013 Evo X GSR E85
5150 Tuned 387WHP/409WTQ
evostanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo
 
Mr.Impreza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2018 STI
Location: Woodbridge
Posts: 1,719
Thanks: 4,055
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Would go for sti, if had to choose from these two option...coz its not BMW...

Plus I prefer Japanese car over anything else!!
+1 haha
__________________
2018 Subaru WRX STI ~ The Weekend Car ~
2015 Toyota 86 ~ The Sold Car ~ Build Journal
OFT Stage 1 Tune Review

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #17
gt8613
I dream of BRZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Location: Home.
Posts: 548
Thanks: 615
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
a year later and you're still asking questions about what first car you wish to buy.

interesting.

I was waiting for this.

I abandoned my car then and let the Family get a new 5 series. It was either my car or theirs. In fact, I have wanted to get a frs since 2012 or 13 summer and I haven't... I am sure this makes you happier.

I decided to save money and I am def. in a much better place financially to get a car. I am glad I waited... I have more options now.
gt8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #18
gt8613
I dream of BRZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Location: Home.
Posts: 548
Thanks: 615
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Is this going to be your first manual car? I would say get a beater to learn on.

Otherwise since budget is a concern, I would lean towards the wrx mainly because depreciation on bmw is a lot worse than a wrx. And maintenance cost is much higher.

I have driven a manual before. But yes I would definitely need to practice. Some people say it doesn't really matter if its a beater or a new car.
gt8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:38 AM   #19
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '24 GR86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,685
Thanks: 658
Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,584 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Some people are also not going to pay for your car payments.

At the end of the day, you just have to figure out what fits your needs and budget best. I have an STI so I'm naturally a bit biased, but I'd choose the Subaru because of the lower ownership costs and reliability track record. Not to put down BMW or say they're bad cars, but I'd rather pay out of pocket to service a Subaru than a BMW.

I also enjoy having a versatile 4dr car after having owned the FRS for the past few years. In short: the STI suited my needsamd interests best out of all the cars I was looking at while fitting in my budget, so I chose it.

Everybody's situation is different, so you gotta decide for yourself.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,386
Thanks: 13,791
Thanked 9,502 Times in 5,013 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt8613 View Post
I have driven a manual before. But yes I would definitely need to practice. Some people say it doesn't really matter if its a beater or a new car.
Clutches are meant to be abused and replaced, if you care you won't do any serious harm to it, it's people who don't know what they're doing that damage clutches.

You're spending well over $30k on a car, hypothetically another $1k 4-5 years down the road on a clutch because you were hard on it in the beginning is nothing, realistically you'll probably sell it before the clutch needs replacing (unless there is a manufacturer defect or you decide to drift it or hard launch it multiple times every weekend).

Shit, there's a guy here with over 100k miles on his 86, autocrosses it 2x a month (so ~8-12 clutch dropping hard launches every month) and I think he's still on his original clutch.

Edit: I've got ~60-100 clutch dumps on mine at 42k miles, stop and go traffic, a couple hours up and down massive SF hills and it still feels great.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:05 AM   #21
gt8613
I dream of BRZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Location: Home.
Posts: 548
Thanks: 615
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Some people are also not going to pay for your car payments.

At the end of the day, you just have to figure out what fits your needs and budget best. I have an STI so I'm naturally a bit biased, but I'd choose the Subaru because of the lower ownership costs and reliability track record. Not to put down BMW or say they're bad cars, but I'd rather pay out of pocket to service a Subaru than a BMW.

I also enjoy having a versatile 4dr car after having owned the FRS for the past few years. In short: the STI suited my needsamd interests best out of all the cars I was looking at while fitting in my budget, so I chose it.

Everybody's situation is different, so you gotta decide for yourself.

I understand.

I am single. No kids.

I am probably going to wait for 2017 models to show up.

I like the brz. But I feel I would be too afraid to take it everywhere. And it would need another $10k of investment to get it where I want it to be.

STI is nice. I can take it everywhere. Maybe $3k to $5k of investment eventually but that's it. WRX is even better.... but if further down the road I decide I want improvements then I don't want to spend a dime on wrx and rather have the sti from the get go. STI just might be a too flashy for my taste.

Evo X is nice as well but maybe too hardcore. Fuel economy looks like shit. I don't plan to make it a 5/6/700 whp beast. Also I think the interior and tech might be outdated given the model is pretty old at this point. limited trunk space.

BMWs

know what... I keep forgetting how much it costs to maintain one. I am not considering it anymore.

4 runner trd pro

that is an interesting choice.



I think I am torn between brz and sti. One has the true sports car feel among other great qualities. The other is more practical and for the most part factory tuned. I guess the next step is to stop asking stupid questions online and drive the wrx and see how I find it.
gt8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:26 AM   #22
gt8613
I dream of BRZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Location: Home.
Posts: 548
Thanks: 615
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Some people are also not going to pay for your car payments.

At the end of the day, you just have to figure out what fits your needs and budget best. I have an STI so I'm naturally a bit biased, but I'd choose the Subaru because of the lower ownership costs and reliability track record. Not to put down BMW or say they're bad cars, but I'd rather pay out of pocket to service a Subaru than a BMW.

I also enjoy having a versatile 4dr car after having owned the FRS for the past few years. In short: the STI suited my needsamd interests best out of all the cars I was looking at while fitting in my budget, so I chose it.

Everybody's situation is different, so you gotta decide for yourself.

Do you miss owning the frs?
gt8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:37 AM   #23
ZionsWrath
Thanks
 
ZionsWrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: NY
Posts: 4,163
Thanks: 5,989
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Sounds maybe you still don't know what you want. Or you do but not ready to buy it.

Why does a brz need 10k and sti 5k to get it where you want it.

What car offers what you want stock?
__________________
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #24
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '24 GR86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,685
Thanks: 658
Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,584 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt8613 View Post
Do you miss owning the frs?
Do I miss OWNING it? No

Do I miss DRIVING it? Occasionally
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #25
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Do I miss OWNING it? No

Do I miss DRIVING it? Occasionally
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
synchromesh
Senior Member
 
synchromesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Location: Canada
Posts: 258
Thanks: 23
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not saying the WRX won't break down or need repairs after warranty but obviously BMW's could end up requiring pricey repairs.


It is not a bad idea or approach being cheap investing in your ride. I sometimes usually avoid associating with those type of people.


I looked into a 2015 m235i from a referral. Interestingly, it sold within a day at near what the original owner bought it for.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #27
gt8613
I dream of BRZ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Location: Home.
Posts: 548
Thanks: 615
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Sounds maybe you still don't know what you want. Or you do but not ready to buy it.

Why does a brz need 10k and sti 5k to get it where you want it.

What car offers what you want stock?

I think I am going to wait till 2017 MY

1. Looks like brz is getting a bumper refresh
2. see if they put a fa20 in the sti (most likely not but I can wait a few months to try my luck). I am no expert... but from what i have heard... that engine would be more reliable?

For $10k+ in brz...
1) turbo/tune etc to get rid of the torque dip and increase power so that it is not dusted/ is not slow in climbing hills.
2) better brakes ( dont need it but i just want something nice)
3) cooling or w/e else needed to handle extra power. I am guessing I wouldnt need this but might potentially.
4) Aero kit
5) Better wheels and tires


For <$5k in sti
1) Better looking wheels / maybe tires
2) aero kit
gt8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #28
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '24 GR86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,685
Thanks: 658
Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,584 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I see just as many people breaking wrx's, if not more than people breaking sti's.

I see wrx transmission, clutches, and engines going every now and then. I see EJ motors on the STI going out every now and then. The problem are the kids driving these cars. To put it lightly: most of them are total idiots.

They start these cars up for the first time for the day and immediately try going WOT in 6th gear down the highway passing people. Then they wonder why they're spinning bearings and place fault on Subaru for building a shitty car, when it's really just their incompetence as a driver that caused the failure.

I'll take the outdated, tried and tested EJ motor over the new FA motor in the WRX any day.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FR-S vs 228i vs Mustang June R/T Cope52 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 57 05-31-2015 12:38 PM
FRS vs BMW 228i Re~Mix FR-S / BRZ vs.... 52 01-22-2015 08:11 AM
BMW M235i... I thrashed it on the track. *VIDEO* Rosso_Corsa FR-S / BRZ vs.... 70 04-22-2014 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.