follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
It's a solid head unit (besides the cheapish feeling faceplate) but the auto TA can be a little off, I personally think it's the difference between where the mic is placed vs. your actual ears in the listening space. If/when you go this route, try placing the mic in different places on the head rest, low, center, high, left/right until you find a spot that creates the most accurate stage for your preferred seating position. I just slapped it dead center and ran with it, but occasionally thought it wasn't quite there. After a few attempts, I found I had to go high center on the headrest, and it was like a switch was flipped on and suddenly all was right with the world...
thanks! i'm not even sure i'll even use the t/a, but if it actually works, i might tinker with it again.. i had the capability with the carpc, and tinkered with it here and there, just wasn't impressed enough to keep it enabled..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeehleib5280 View Post
I was actually considering those. I have yet to here them though. I'm glad you mentioned them. I was also considering the JL Audio C5s. Any thoughts on those?
it's been a long time since i demo'ed them-- it was about 3 years ago, so definitely not the current model, and i'm not familiar with if the line has changed since then.

they didn't leave much of an impression on me, i remember demoing them i had higher hopes that i wouldn't run into the same issues i ran into with other drivers, but still found the issues-- ie. issues being absolutely needing to run a 80hz x-over or higher to compensate for poor bass extension, and (personal preference) overly bright tweeters.. but to be fair, i've never found a set of automotive-spec tweeters that i liked-- all of them sound too bright to me..
Old 03-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Cmeehleib5280

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I went with 2-way. Sometimes less is simpler to integrate

The first time I heard the C5's vs the C3's, they were both powered off just a stock head unit and I actually thought the C3's sounded just as good if not better. Then I was told to listen to the C5's with a real amp powering them. The C5's sounded much better to me. I can drive mine loud and they don't distort. The midbass is not as good as the Hybrid Audio Imagine component speakers but the tweeters are less bright.

I am driving my C5's with a 100watt RMS (@4 ohms) per channel Rockford Fosgate Punch amp and I am using a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS head unit. Very happy with everything and all told for the speakers, amp, and head unit, it cost me under $850.

Sounds like a nice setup.. I am starting to lean towards the C5s over the Hertz mainly for the price and because if they sound like the C3s or better than Im sure they will do the job. I have an alpine 4 channel amp that will be pushing them. Plus my sub is a JL sub so I might as well stay all JL.
Cmeehleib5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Always go components if you are running amps.. No reason to be powering stocks , I have focals up front and they are deafening , i shut off my jl's i tossed in the back just for shits and giggles ..
Also if you can invest in some sound deadening .. do it now. I didnt do it in the beginning because i was in a rush to put my system together , I will be soon pulling it all apart and deadening everything
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
Cmeehleib5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
Always go components if you are running amps.. No reason to be powering stocks , I have focals up front and they are deafening , i shut off my jl's i tossed in the back just for shits and giggles ..
Also if you can invest in some sound deadening .. do it now. I didnt do it in the beginning because i was in a rush to put my system together , I will be soon pulling it all apart and deadening everything
I've considered sound deadening eventually but I also am in a rush to get it finished haha
Is is that much of a difference maker?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
mashal
DADA

i was running at 12w6 in the trunk and vibrations were annoying, dropped to an 8w7 and the lower frequency were making the trunk rattly, dropped a little bit dynamat in there and now its good. but i will definitely be doing a bit more
Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #20
Cmeehleib5280

Quote:
i was running at 12w6 in the trunk and vibrations were annoying, dropped to an 8w7 and the lower frequency were making the trunk rattly, dropped a little bit dynamat in there and now its good. but i will definitely be doing a bit more

Ok well I got my hands on some JL C5-650s. Ill be getting them installed in a couple days. I will be getting the doors sound deadened as well just to get it out of the way. I am going to wait out on deadening the trunk until I have a little more money to spend. Will deadening the doors make a difference with the sound of my sub? or will the subs bass not even be affected by the deadening until I do the trunk?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
mashal
DADA

Door deadening do much for your sub. But it kills a lot of road noise and depending on how much you push those 6's in the doors, you will appreciate the deadening.
Trunk is easy to do, do doors first time .. That way you Dont ever touch it again.
I have most of mine dine, now just getting to the Netty gretty , going around tapping panels for more noise.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
Cmeehleib5280

Sounds good. Im anxious to get everything finished and finally be done with my system.. almost there
Old 03-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #23
mashal
DADA

you better post some pictures
Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #24
Cmeehleib5280

Quote:

For sure. Everything should be installed by the end of the day tomorrrow
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 AM   #25
Cmeehleib5280

Quote:

Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 AM   #26
Cmeehleib5280

Sorry I took so long. But here are some pics.
As you can see I have a JL Audio 13.5 W7 in a sealed box built to spec and custom shaped to fit in the trunk and line up with the back seat. I still wanted a little bit of trunk space so I had an amp rack installed in place of the spare tire. I have a Kicker ZX1500.1 amp powering the sub and an Alpine Vpower powering my JL audio C5 components. I also have the Audison bit ten Processor and an 8 farad capacitor behind it all.
I have the C5 tweeters in the stock location in the dash and fully sound deadened the doors.

Tags
car audio, electronics, hertz, jl audio