follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
If you can't decide between two or three colors, make a game of it. Tell the dealer you'll take which ever one he can get first and go with it.
Ahh yes, back in the early days of availability, where people would let fate decide and buy the first frs/brz that came up for sale, regardless of color

My best advice is to just go to the dealerships (on a sunny day, of course) and look at each color. Each color makes the shape of the car look slightly different IMO. I like DGM (asphalt on the FRS) because it's the most modern-looking color. It also has a hint of purple flake in it, which really shines out at sunrise/sunset, so it's very dynamic. Pictures on the internet help, but they just aren't the same as actually looking at the car in person.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
Frstorm (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an frs almost went whiteout sight unseen but decided to stick with firestorm and I am so glad. Make sure to see all colors
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Make a list of the colors and one by one eliminate the ones you don't see yourself choosing until the last one left is the on you're happy with. Obviously bias, these cars have a lot of good colors when usually other cars have at most one or two colors that stick out.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got whiteout only because I was afraid of paint swirls since I'm a clean freak.....
But every time I see a WRB BRZ, makes me wish I would have dropped the extra money to get the BRZ.... I'm still happy with my choice though

Whatever you do, don't regret your choice. Our cars look better than 95% of the cars on the road. 'Nuff said.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalj1 View Post
What are some strategies you guys used when nailing down the right color for yours?
I flipped a coin.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
snoflewis

Drives: civic si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
still torn between SWP and WRB with DGM and SSM being considered... what to do...what to do....
snoflewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tough call. I'll say I was hesitant with SSM, but it was the only new Limited within a large radius of me. Now I absolutely LOVE it and would buy the same color again in a heartbeat.

I have a feeling that you aren't going to pick a color you dislike, no matter which one you pick. They all look great on this car.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
They're pretty much all equally perfect. You can't go wrong.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
cant discount that GBS, its a color you really have to see in person to fully appreciate (crazy beautiful under direct or partial sunlight, looks mostly black/stealthy at night)
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
This might be a silly strand of thoughts but whenever I see SWP I always think "luxurious race car" that reminds me of the porsche cayman in white. WRB just screams Subaru and is its flagship color. DGM can pass by very unnoticed in the wild, but when you come close to it, it looks very very sexy. SSM looks like it belongs somewhere in Europe or in a huge city under the shade where it shines best.

Then again, I feel like my GBS color was made for the cali sun.

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #25
BRZ21
i kill cones.

Drives: around cones in a parking lot
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
Tough call. I'll say I was hesitant with SSM, but it was the only new Limited within a large radius of me. Now I absolutely LOVE it and would buy the same color again in a heartbeat.

I have a feeling that you aren't going to pick a color you dislike, no matter which one you pick. They all look great on this car.

100% agree. the exact same thing happened to me
Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
Seraph
0_o

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ, 1995 Black M3
Garage
Hmm so I say just pick the color that speaks to you.

However, if you want to get some reasonings behind it...

Attention level:
SWP is really popular so if you want to be "different" don't get SWP or WRB. Although SWP and WRB and red are probably the most eye catching colors. The car is just really beautiful in SWP (I'm a little biased ^_~ ) - and in the day time the car practically glows in WRB.

If you want a little less attention - I'd go for the DGM or Silver. DGM look very sleek and elegant and less easy to pick out (read - less of a cop magnet). Black is pretty sleek and a little more aggressive looking.

If you want to be really different get Galaxy blue...thus far I've only seen one of those on the roads...or Silver I've only seen a couple as well. (on the other hand, if you are thinking "how easy will it be to find 2nd hand parts If I ever need to replace something"...go for the more popular colors).

If you are thinking high or low maintenance:
The DGM and silver are probably the least likely to show dirt and scratches. Also if you are thinking of doing Expel or 3M... SWP they recommend Expel cus it is slightly less "yellow" and shows up less so ...it is more expensive than 3M film =__=

At the end of the day... did I think about all this before picking? Yeah.... In the end did any of this influence my choice? (I bounced back and forth between SWP, red, and DGM.)

No. Haha I just picked the color that I found the most arresting and couldn't stop looking at.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
There is huge misconception of photography and seeing in person. Many time, photography are filtered or corrected to show the contrast of light and dark. In person, many colors like white, light silver, and none metallic color becomes very bland since there are no contrast in the sun light. Thats where metallic color shines in real life.
Gt86 is a very curvy vehicle with very little edges. Cars like these look better with metallic color to show all the lines. Cars like impreza or evos are very boxy with sharp edges, which color white can benefit from. Also bland colors show very well at night or artificial lighting condition.
I love color white. but in my personal opinion, metallic colors like wrb, dgm, gbs, silver will look nicer on gt86. You can really appreciate the lines.
You really have to see them in person and stop looking at the pictures. Most likely you will be looking at your car during the sunny day and or in your garage.

Last edited by jkonquer; 08-28-2013 at 02:56 PM.
jkonquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
track junkie

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dark Gray Metallic is a covert, stealthy, and inconspicuous color. It is not a "look at me" attention getter. Do you want to fly under the radar or do you want to be noticed?
track junkie is offline   Reply With Quote