follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not all retrofit projectors are created equal, you can't compare them just by looking at the lens. Personally, I like the stock over the Mini H1.

Staying on topic, 4300K will give you the most lumens (usable light) than any other colors AFAIK.
WolfsFang (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
Not all retrofit projectors are created equal, you can't compare them just by looking at the lens. Personally, I like the stock over the Mini H1.

Staying on topic, 4300K will give you the most lumens (usable light) than any other colors AFAIK.
Thanks for the input.

I was confused on what kelvin to get since from my reading 4300k has more lumens but then I was reading on how easy yellow is picked up by the eye so you would be able to make objects out better.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Yellow does make your vision sharper. However, for night driving, you also need a bit of white light to achieve distance or "light throw". If you go with just yellow, everything will be sharp but you'll lose distance. There needs to be a proper balance.

Example uses of yellow lenses: Shooting range goggles and computer glasses

So to sum it up:

3000K for fog/rain/snow (hence why most fog lights are yellow)

4300K the sweet spot; perfect mix of white and yellow for regular nighttime driving (hence why manufacturers use 4300K as the stock color)

5000K for pure white light (a bit hard on the eyes on long drives, but otherwise looks better; for show)

6000K bluish-white (meh)

8000K+ (rice)

And if you're staring at my signature below, that's just the purple cutoff of my projectors. I'm actually running 5000Ks on modded stock right now.
WolfsFang (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
5000k retro fit projectors for me and they are VASTLY better than stock. I also do a lot of driving at night, cause I live in canada where fall and winter are mostly dark....
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alrite, I just ordered some 3000k hid's to try out. Ill let you know how they function. Maybe ill try and take a video....if my go pro will work decent in the dark.
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WHITE For This Useful Post:
WolfsFang (08-09-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE View Post
Alrite, I just ordered some 3000k hid's to try out. Ill let you know how they function. Maybe ill try and take a video....if my go pro will work decent in the dark.
Thanks when you get them and install can you comment on how well the light up signs?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
Thanks when you get them and install can you comment on how well the light up signs?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Will do, ill answer any questions you or anybody else might have. And like i said ill try and get a decent video, might try and do a comparison vs. the stock bulbs too(might) if the videos turn out good.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

@WolfsFang , checking in to tell you how i like the lights. Finally got my lights in, i went with "platinumr slim kit with 3000k bulbs" from hid powerhouse. First impressions of them, THEY BRIGHT. Signs light up real nice, with less "glare" imho. They have awsome range, had no issues seeing were i was going when i was driving in the pitch black in the mountains with no street lights or moon light, and never once thought "i wish i had high beams".

Ill try to take a video tonight, sorry no comparisons between different bulbs i dont have the time this week but perhaps ill switch back at some point to show the difference.

Any quetions you got ill gladly answer as best i can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WHITE For This Useful Post:
KI_ZN6 (08-21-2013), WolfsFang (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Quote:
@WolfsFang , checking in to tell you how i like the lights. Finally got my lights in, i went with "platinumr slim kit with 3000k bulbs" from hid powerhouse. First impressions of them, THEY BRIGHT. Signs light up real nice, with less "glare" imho. They have awsome range, had no issues seeing were i was going when i was driving in the pitch black in the mountains with no street lights or moon light, and never once thought "i wish i had high beams".

Ill try to take a video tonight, sorry no comparisons between different bulbs i dont have the time this week but perhaps ill switch back at some point to show the difference.

Nice, guess my last choice is either the hid powerhouse 3000k bulbs or the MORIMOTO 3FIVE 3000k.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
@WolfsFang , checking in to tell you how i like the lights. Finally got my lights in, i went with "platinumr slim kit with 3000k bulbs" from hid powerhouse. First impressions of them, THEY BRIGHT. Signs light up real nice, with less "glare" imho.
The signs are lighting up because of your glare.

Quote:
They have awsome range, had no issues seeing were i was going when i was driving in the pitch black in the mountains with no street lights or moon light, and never once thought "i wish i had high beams".
That's because you have a lot of glare.

Quote:

Whatever floats your boat. I've been trying to tell people that throwing in a PNP kit into a halogen headlight will give them brighter headlights, sure, but in all the wrong spots.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to infinite012 For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Glad you like them :happy0180::happy0180:

Quote:

KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KI_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
WHITE (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
The signs are lighting up because of your glare.

That's because you have a lot of glare.

Whatever floats your boat. I've been trying to tell people that throwing in a PNP kit into a halogen headlight will give them brighter headlights, sure, but in all the wrong spots.
Maybe glare isnt the right word. Idk, all i know is i prefer the 3000k hid's over whiter lights, maybe im just weird.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Tried taking a video with my go pro, reviewed the footage and it was horrible....i guess hero2's suck bad in low light. Not going to even bother posting it as it gives no usable visual data.

Sorry i tried, guess all i can say is for me the 3000k's are perfect. Wish i could give you some visual aid
The Following User Says Thank You to WHITE For This Useful Post:
WolfsFang (08-23-2013)