follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
...tomorrow I'm going to try.

I have the part numbers and prices for the 10-Series LED/HID lamp assemblies. What's the worst that can happen?
What are the prices that you know of?
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
What are the prices that you know of?
$537 each....

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
again...

I read this a lot but what I haven't read is the result of someone actually trying to do this. I mean NO ONE on this forum has attempted it.

Has Scion actually put this in writing?
Yes, to dealers. I work at one and have already tried to order the headlights. My parts manager had to call in an order and provide a valid vin & proof of ownership. Obviously kicked back pretty quickly. The part numbers are valid and actually show up for pricing and availability, but Toyota won't release them automatically like a traditional part.

Hell, when the yellow TC2 release series first came out, I wanted a set of the black wheels it came with for my Camry SE. Same deal... had to show proof of ownership.

They keep the release series parts exclusive. Otherwise, what's the point of the limited editions?
fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fledonfoot For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-23-2015), FiRStsc10n (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've seen people use and not use a VIN number and get release series parts so it can be done.

This guy purchased the tC RS 7.0 grille without a VIN number.

Quote: I just called them and they ordered it...no VIN needed...Since I was the first to order and get an RS7.0 grill for a plain Jane tC.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
says who?..

I read this a lot but what I haven't read is the result of someone actually trying to do this.
says everywhere that you "read this a lot" just as I read. but as you stated I do not know if anyone successfully was able to go around this "rule"...so I will go with what is known today, until I know something different in the future. I'm not saying impossible, just answering your "says who?" question.

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fledonfoot View Post
Yes, to dealers. I work at one and have already tried to order the headlights. My parts manager had to call in an order and provide a valid vin & proof of ownership. Obviously kicked back pretty quickly. The part numbers are valid and actually show up for pricing and availability, but Toyota won't release them automatically like a traditional part.

Hell, when the yellow TC2 release series first came out, I wanted a set of the black wheels it came with for my Camry SE. Same deal... had to show proof of ownership.

They keep the release series parts exclusive. Otherwise, what's the point of the limited editions?
It would seem to be a futile effort then but regardless I'm going to try. This is the way the car should have been available to it should be expected we're going to try and address it.

Anyways I have a few ideas on how to do this...

...there's more then one way the skin a cat

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh and there's a guy on my facebook group and on Club Scion tC selling the shift knobs.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2nv View Post
says everywhere that you "read this a lot" just as I read. but as you stated I do not know if anyone successfully was able to go around this "rule"...so I will go with what is known today, until I know something different in the future. I'm not saying impossible, just answering your "says who?" question.
Fair enought. As it appears with later posts there's some hit and miss with these series parts. I'll try my hand at it tommrow

supra2nv (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
Oh and there's a guy on my facebook group and on Club Scion tC selling the shift knobs.
I bet a LOT of of this relies who calls Scion and who answers on the other side of the phone

Old 07-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah and no...

...after figuring on whatever the cost and the downtime of a decent paint job is worth, I think the benefits of modding what you have outweigh the downsides.

With enough BRZ Limited and Scion "10 Series" FR-S cars getting totaled and/or being turned into track only purpose build race cars these parts will become cheaply available. No Doubt, fearless souls will brave this HVAC/keyless ignition swap.
What? NO.

People who are maing track whores aren't buying 10 series and limited's.

If you want those features you're much, MUCH better off just buying a BRZ Premium/Limited/10series.

Just to do HID's properly will cost you damn near the difference between a BRZ and FR-S. Once you realize you can get ~1500 off a premium while the Scion dealer BS's you about the pure price and it's really hard for me to figure how they're even selling the FR-S.

I paid ~2500 more for a BRZ limited than I would have for a FR-S. There is no way I could have added the thing I wanted (lights, keyless start, nicer interior) to an FR-S for less and it wouldn't be OEM. Trying to be cheap always cost you more in the long run. Just save up some extra money for your down payment.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Fair enought. As it appears with later posts there's some hit and miss with these series parts. I'll try my hand at it tommrow
good luck bro, we wont know till we know...I personally see no biggy and I don't understand why Toyota has to play soup **** like in Seinfeld lol. let the market demand decide and throw out the rules...sheesh.

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Posts like these drive me nuts but I'll answer from my perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
What? NO. People who are making track whores aren't buying 10 series and limited's.
Within the next week or so I'm installing a set of BRZ limited seats into my FR-S which are coming from a track car conversion so :P

Quote:
Just to do HID's properly will cost you damn near the difference between a BRZ and FR-S.
Very true, unfortunately...

(another reason why the possibility of getting these GT86 LED/HID lights domestically are enticing. I have a German connection for all the parts if my attempts should fail)

Quote:
Once you realize you can get ~1500 off a premium while the Scion dealer BS's you about the pure price and it's really hard for me to figure how they're even selling the FR-S.
A lot of that depends on the market and timing. A year ago when I was shopping for the car every Chicagoland dealer was charging up to $5000 "market adjustment" premiums for BRZ's. In Aug 2012 an FR-S was $5000 - $8000 cheaper to buy around where I live.

Quote:
I paid ~2500 more for a BRZ limited than I would have for a FR-S. There is no way I could have added the thing I wanted (lights, keyless start, nicer interior) to an FR-S for less and it wouldn't be OEM.
Honestly the seats, the lights (especially if I can get these 10 Series units), and the rest of the interior upgrades add about $3000 to the cost to a car which will sooner or later have another $7000 of powertrain, cooling system and brake modifications.

This is not about money. It's about those of us who purchased the humble FR-S and then later deciding we want it to be more; more comfortable, more functional, more powerful, more unique...

I don't mean to pick a fight with you personally but the bulk of the FR-S community is tired of these bullshit, self-righteous, "you should have bought a BRZ limited" responses within this type of thread.

Quote:
Just save up some extra money for your down payment.
BTW; I bought my FR-S with a cashiers check and own it outright

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 07-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2nv View Post
good luck bro, we wont know till we know...I personally see no biggy and I don't understand why Toyota has to play soup **** like in Seinfeld lol. let the market demand decide and throw out the rules...sheesh.
It's money in their pockets if they just sell us the parts

I think that Scion is going to slowly go up market with the FR-S to keep the sales up. In a few years everything we're spending all of this time and effort splicing into our cars will be standard equipment (Especially when the convertible version arrives).

BTW - I just wanted to take this moment to say there simply aren't words to describe EPIC nature of your build. Personally I think you"re crazy for not buying a Cayman S and at the same time, I'm thankful for your TRD build

supra2nv (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Ok I'm throwing my hand in the ring:
Cheapest BRZ I could get within 500 miles was 32k. Plus I was like I want the pearl blue they flat out told me good luck with that you take what we have or go some place else. Not to mention have you seen the fronts of the BRZ? That's an ugly front end.
I bought my FRS for slightly above 28k to my specs which suburu wouldn't do, had to wait two weeks but got the color I wanted and it had 11 miles on it when I picked it up. Plus why would you want push button start? I love turning the key and not have to worry about another electric piece not working and have me be stranded. Dual climate control when it's so small who cares? Now I can spend the 4k upgraded important parts like giving it a cooler intake, put the trd exhaust on which I love even though its overpriced. Oh and another thing I have the shark antenna which is another thing BRZ can't have without sacrificing stuff they paid for. And another thing BRZ has ugly spoilers compared to frs.
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 series, conversion, dashboard, frs