follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
True. But it won't hurt to wait a little longer, as we will find out more about the STI. Don't want to make an early decision that will later turn into regret.
it is probably a time of year to wait either way i guess. if the next my (sti or not) comes out and its not really what you expected, you can likely get a discounted and i think that is worth the wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl4rat View Post
the only thing that makes me question weather or not to wait is "IF" the STI comes with a NA 240ishHP it would be worth the 3-4K, you'll spend that on the current model getting to those #'s

i can't lie though i do like the price of the current BRZ.. i'd hate to see the dealer mark up on a STI...
i can all but guarantee that subaru is not going to offer an extra 40 hp for 3-4k. to keep that in perspective, its more expensive to make power sans forced induction and you are talking about gains similar to the ones going from a wrx to an sti. to do that without a turbo would likely create a cost gap greater than that of the wrx model.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-22-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I couldn't ride a bike like that, the lack of a rear suspension guarantees back problems.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #17
aceangel

Drives: 13 BRZ WRB LTD 6AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Unless you really want the car now, it's always better to wait it out. Do you know if Subaru announced the '14 model year yet?
aceangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
cfl4rat

Drives: ?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceangel View Post
Unless you really want the car now, it's always better to wait it out. Do you know if Subaru announced the '14 model year yet?
On the BRZ? unsure on that one...
cfl4rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruBRZLimited View Post
I couldn't ride a bike like that, the lack of a rear suspension guarantees back problems.
Solid rear axle?

On topic, get what you want now. The only reason I would wait is if I'm satisfied with what I have now and waiting for the used market to saturate. I would have loved to save money and buy a used BRZ but I couldn't stand to drive a honda accord another 2+ years...
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
The limited BRZ feels very familiar to what my 2008 STI felt like inside. Same level of materials and little touches here and there. I think between the nice climate controls, alcantara seats and keyless entry, it's worth the jump to the limited. I actually really like the spoiler on the limited too now that I added the gurney flap.

Make the car your own man. The only screaming reason to ever buy a STI over the WRX was the transmission for many years. It became a rather mute point towards the end of this model line. I doubt the STI BRZ will have a different transmission or engine. Why wait if you are willing to wrench and personalize anyway?

Last edited by industrial; 04-21-2013 at 09:42 AM.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
Freeman (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
seanmc69

Drives: Scion FR-S Blue
Love the bike! enjoy your BRZ

seanmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
GNS

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
The limited BRZ feels very familiar to what my 2008 STI felt like inside. Same level of materials and little touches here and there. I think between the nice climate controls, alcantara seats and keyless entry, it's worth the jump to the limited. I actually really like the spoiler on the limited too now that I added the gurney flap.

Make the car your own man. The only screaming reason to ever buy a STI over the WRX was the transmission for many years. It became a rather mute point towards the end of this model line. I doubt the STI BRZ will have a different transmission or engine. Why wait if you are willing to wrench and personalize
Wait...weren't there more differences? Like the types of differentials, suspension type/setup, driver selectable DCCD (maybe a bit gimmicky if you get an AP), better brakes, STI specific seats....can't remember what else.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Gotta go with Satin White Pearl. I get two sets of compliments on the car, first being how awesome it is, the next is how awesome the color is.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
cfl4rat

well i've only seen a black one in person, to anyone out there that has seen both red & white in the flesh, is it true that the body/feature lines stand out more on the white?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNS View Post
Wait...weren't there more differences? Like the types of differentials, suspension type/setup, driver selectable DCCD (maybe a bit gimmicky if you get an AP), better brakes, STI specific seats....can't remember what else.
Lots of little differences. None were really all that meaningful except the transmission. DCCD, SI-Drive were complete gimmicks. The seats always sucked. 02' wrx seats were the best seats found on USDM Subarus until the BRZ seats. Everything else on that list could easily be swapped by an average enthusiast. The WRX became just a much better deal after 09. Almost impossible to justify the STI as it currently stands for your average car guy.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
DocCola (04-26-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
Solid rear axle?

On topic, get what you want now. The only reason I would wait is if I'm satisfied with what I have now and waiting for the used market to saturate. I would have loved to save money and buy a used BRZ but I couldn't stand to drive a honda accord another 2+ years...
yeah that is called a hardtail it has no rear suspension at all and it is very rough on the body.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
cfl4rat

Nah you'd be surprised. A properly set up hardtail is not as bad as everybody thinks. Sure it's no dresser but I prefer a hardtail over a softail any day of the week, espicially on a high HP bike
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl4rat View Post
well i've only seen a black one in person, to anyone out there that has seen both red & white in the flesh, is it true that the body/feature lines stand out more on the white?
It really depends on what angle you are looking at and if it is a cloudy day or a sunny day. I think the red stands out more on a sunny day, because you can see the light reflection more easier when the light is working it's way around the lines. It is a bit harder to notice the lines on a white because it blends in a little bit more.