|
||||||
| Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#15 |
|
4G63 & Rotary
|
If you're going to build a new rig...don't build an old rig and don't ignore new features! No Core2Duo's, and if you can help it, hold off on AM3 AMD chips. New Zambezi chips are right around the corner. USB 3.0 and SATA6 are the latest greatest, don't ignore them.
Another aspect I was overlooking was your intentions for the new machine. Are you going to be playing any graphics intensive games or strictly a work machine? If it's just a work machine you might not want a consumer video game card. Check out the nVidia Quadro and AMD Firepro professional GPU's. If you'll be primarily working with software like... Autocad 2011, 3d Studio Max 2011, ZBrush, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Cinema 4d, Luxology Modo 501, Google Sketchup Pro 8, Maya 2011, Mudbox 2011, Revit Architecture 2011, Archicad 14... then you'll probably want a professional card. You'll pay a LITTLE more, but the hardware is optimized for software like CAD. What's the difference? Pro cards, when playing a game, have drivers that tended to accelerate games slower than the consumer drivers, BUT the pro drivers tended to accelerate CAD apps much faster than consumer drivers. So you get more out of your hardware for the money you spend. Just food for thought. GTX460's on NewEgg are >$150 ($130 w/MIR). You can get an HD 6850 for that price and it's a superior, newer card. You could get an HD 6790 for $110 and that's not too far beneath the 460/6850. ------------- CPU+Memory Combo: $258 Core i5-2500K --- Combo Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 --- Combo Gigabyte P61 s1155 --- $70 Corsair BS CX500w PSU --- $60 -$20 MIR XFX HD 6790 --- $130 -$20 MIR Samsung F3 1TB --- $60 Samsung CD/DVD --- $20 Total: $558 Last edited by 82mm 4g63; 09-09-2011 at 10:02 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
MODERATOR-SAMA
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,685
Thanks: 345
Thanked 1,562 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
|
i dont do any PC gaming, much of my processing needs are to run programs like Maya and 3Dmax, Vray, AutoCad, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Music Studio for my arrangements.
Although i would like to try my hand at starcraft II and Diablo III, modern warefare 3, battlefield 3. I dont really intend to use it for games. I want to build a new rig, that much is certain and id rather not use products that are 1.5-2 years old if it can be helped. I dont mind waiting for better prices to appear or better products to hit the market, but it really puts my 3D, VIDEO, IMAGING, and MUSIC projects on hold which are just sitting in a 1TB portable hard drive collecting dust. and id love to bring out more high quality FT86 work and BRZ work ASAP without relying on my friends and other artists. So scratch the AMD/MOBO deal? Go with intel i5/i7? Also how important is liquid cooling for some of these workhorse processors? Or could just a big fan or multiple fans and a good heatsink work even for mild overclocking?
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#17 |
|
Site Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
|
Most lower end liquid cooling systems are worse than good air cooling solutions. I run a i7 950 @ 3.6ghz, with HT on and all cores pegged at 100% (which it's basically at 24/7 for world community grid computing) it runs 60-64c depending on how much dust is in the heatsink fins :P
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback DD: 2005 Acura TSX Tow: 2022 F-450 Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles |
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Location: United States of America
Posts: 5,279
Thanks: 285
Thanked 1,075 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Aftermarket cooling is useless if you don't overclock. As an extreme noise elimination method it's plausible though...
82mm, I think you're overlooking his budget...he said 300 bucks lol. At that price point he's basically stuck with AMD, and lower end graphics. Quadro is the biggest ripoff ever, the cards are almost identical to the consumer grade ones, fyi. It's just a tiny software difference. The point is not to get a computer that is best for rendering, the goal is to have something within budget and more modern than his completely obsolete machine. |
|
|
|
|
|
#19 | |||
|
4G63 & Rotary
|
Quote:
Quote:
He's willing to break the $400 budget to get a proper rig. Using 2 year old components, IMO, is not a proper rig. Besides, $560-600 bucks isn't that bad for a really impressive rig and significantly below that $900-1000 point of no return. Buying old components is what I recommend for old people who use Facebook and check email as it'll last them half a decade, not someone doing using cutting edge software. Quote:
|
|||
|
|
|
|
|
#20 | |
|
Praise Helix!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,859
Thanks: 428
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
|
Quote:
I agree with sticking to the i5 though, 2500k. Easily overclockable to 4.0ghz+ on the stock Intel HSF. If you can't swing a nice video card now, and since anything will be an upgrade, the lower end 6xxx series as mentioned above will work fine until you get into games since you mentioned a few, depending on your resolution. I'm honestly not sure how much of a difference it makes since I haven't tested, but I know Photoshop now benefits from GPU processing as well. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#21 | |
|
4G63 & Rotary
|
Quote:
Yeah it's not a shabby simple setup, but if I'm going to go through any extra hassle of installing a water cooling system, I'm definitely not getting one that get's significantly out performed by high end air alternatives. Noctua 14's take 30 seconds to install and are superior for overclocking. To me, it's like turbocharging an NA car...with a tiny T28 turbo. If you're going to do it, do it right. Just my opinion though. :happy0180: |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#22 | |
|
Supra Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 440
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
2500K w/ stock HSF, running at 4.0GHz, and the max temp I've had (playing games) is 67*C. I don't like going any hotter than 70*C as I like to leave a bit of headroom, as well as for reliability reasons.... May upgrade to HSF later to overclock it a bit further though ![]() The 2500k is DEFINITELY a good deal if you know how to overclock
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#23 |
|
The Fail Boat
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 3,027
Thanks: 4,720
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
|
After reading WingsofWar's excellent post on engine build, I decided to share my 2 cents to help. xD
Since it sounds like u gonna built one uself, I'm just gonna list some basics that everyone might know. :X CPU: Cheap amd combo is definitely gonna save u some bucks. However Intel do preform better when it comes to running Maya, 3Dmax and Photoshop CS5 etc. RAM: go find a good deal on newegg :P 8G is good (just make sure u have a copy of 64bit windows) Motherboard: Try not to save too much on motherboard, Good mother board = easy to upgrade in the next 3 years +/-. HDD : If u have the $, a small 60G SSD as boot drive + a big HDD as data drive is the way to go, u will never see pop ups in Orgrimmar/Stormwind and it cuts you load time for wow from 90s to like 20s even with all the addons. This is one single component that vastly improves everything I do on my pc. Videocard: Depends on u like nvidia or ati, personally I love the color off an ati card and they also tend to use a lot less power but nvidia have physicX on their side & always runs things smoother right off bat. (Don't buy any card that ended with 50 or lower, other then some exceptional overclocked ones) Power: get a middle range one, a cheapy Power = nono and tend to burn itself up right after a year or when warranty expires. >.> Trust me on this one... being there many times. I also suggest u check out cyperpowerpc (www.cyperpowerpc.com), I can only undercut their price by around 100 when I built pcs to their spec (which is basically the price of windows) unless I catch on to some super deal around black friday or really sit out on my computer parts and get them from online deals over a period of 2-3 months. |
|
|
|
|
|
#24 |
|
MODERATOR-SAMA
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,685
Thanks: 345
Thanked 1,562 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
|
^ ooo thats right, black friday is coming up! might be a good chance to get better products and still be within a good budget. Thanks
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#25 | ||
|
Praise Helix!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,859
Thanks: 428
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
|
Quote:
![]() The above is just one result that I found that compared both solutions. I wouldn't call 2 or 3 degrees C very significant when you're well under max temp. I spent about 50 bucks on my 620, so shelling out another 25-30 for that little difference the D14 gives doesn't make sense to me or anyone on a budget, really. I'd say it's more like turbocharging a NA car and spending 6 grand instead of 4 grand so you can have 520 horsepower instead of 500. However, as you said to each their own, and I completely understand why some people min max. I won't lie, if I had the cash to drop I'd experiment with phase change. It's really no hassle at all to install though. I ran a Koolance loop several years ago, and yeah, I remember running lines, bleeding the system, and then leak testing for a day. This Antec unit was just a matter of mounting the rad/fan as you would any other fan, putting the back plate on the motherboard, and then setting the heatsink on the cpu and twisting it to lock. It was honestly far easier than installing my old Zalman 9700 on my old box, or the Xigmatek Dark Knight on my wife's computer. Quote:
edit: on what chaos said above, it's extremely important not to get a cheap PSU. You don't need a 300 dollar 1kw beast, but something tried and tested to be reliable. Not only because they don't last, but because advertised specs don't hold up. My wife's old machine had a cheap PSU in it that just let go one day. Unfortunately, it took the mobo, HDDs, optical drive, and VGA card with it. Thankfully all of the companies RMA'd the parts. And yeah, black friday is wonderful for computer sales.
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#26 | |
|
4G63 & Rotary
|
I agree, 2-3 degrees isn't that significant, but... IDK I guess I'm just weird. If I'm going to step up to liquid cooling, I want it to out perform the old air cooling. The main thing about the little CPU cooling kits like that Kuhler620 is you can't expand them down the road to GPU or memory cooling. If it let you expand down the road, maybe piece by piece as you gathered the funds, then I might be more open to it.
Quote:
You want a Corsair PSU, they're the perennial PSU Of The Year award winners. Corsair Builders Series are great bang for buck. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#27 |
|
4G63 & Rotary
|
CyberPowerPC is where my brother bought his computer from about a year ago, not a bad deal. But even if you buy a copy of Windows 7, you can still build a PC for atleast $100 savings.
Every edition of Windows 7 available in the US is 32 and 64 bit compatible and you can pick a copy up for $100 bucks. If you don't mind reusing your computer case and you buy a copy of W7 you can build the i5,8gbddr3-1600,1tb,hd6790 rig for $660 after $40 MIR. The same rig is $860+tax+s&h. (You can get a cheap case from $15-50.) |
|
|
|
|
|
#28 |
|
Praise Helix!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,859
Thanks: 428
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
|
As an alternative, are you or do you have any friends that are in college or still have a .edu email address? I got my copy of Win7 from The Ultimate Steal, which is a special student program that Microsoft sponsors. 30 bucks.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...UB_4up_Windows |
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Beginner STX Build Whiteout FRS Build Thread | Hachi86Roku | Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting | 21 | 03-31-2020 07:52 PM |
| Superpenguin's "Not Another Build Thread!" Build Thread | superpenguin | Member's Car Journals | 7 | 06-17-2015 04:00 PM |
| SWP's 13' BRZ Build Thread | SWP BRZ | Member's Car Journals | 2 | 01-16-2015 01:23 PM |
| Jac's BRZ build thread | Jac | Member's Car Journals | 0 | 04-30-2014 07:09 PM |
| EOJ (Not much of a Build) Thread | jonbatz01 | Member's Car Journals | 41 | 07-31-2013 07:34 PM |