follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

View Poll Results: Interested in a double din Android unit?
Yes, I'd be interested 248 78.73%
Maybe, depends on the capabilities of the deck. 67 21.27%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
You wrote a book but forgot a price ?
People won't be interested unless there is a listed price to compare to other products

I-Tapatalk
Whoops, updated.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I would be interested if the interface, in style, response, and intuitiveness, is indistinguishable from my phone. If the screen response is slow, or the unit can't be rooted and updated to new versions of android, or if I'm required to use their software for functions such as nav, then it's yet another half-assed HU and I have 0 interest in it.

An android HU should be an extension of my phone. I sit in the car and the phone should sync with the HU, and I should be able to access the same apps and data that I have on my phone. That means google maps, pandora, ulysse speedometer, etc. Even if the HU is it's own device and not a peripheral, I should be able to do everything I can with my phone.

Essentially, if I'd be better off mounting a tablet, then it's half-assed and I have zero interest.
Not sure what phone you have, but its AOSP 2.2. I have no idea if it can be rooted or not. I've been able to download a majority of the apps from my phone to the head unit. Most of them are not useful for a car though (Do I really need to play angry birds or words with friends in the car?). You are welcome to use your own navigation app, music app, video player, etc. You ARE stuck with using their apps for things like reverse camera, rear headrest video output, steering wheel controls. Pandora works flawlessly, as does google maps (with an internet connection).

Considering the options on the market (Kenwoods, Pioneers, Sonys), I'd hardly call that "Half-assed". The truth is, even if there were more limitations, the head unit provides a better user experience than head units that cost 2-3x the price.

Moving on, here are some videos I took:

Start up:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Vf5GBXBZc"]HU Startup - YouTube[/ame]

Homescreen navigating:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atM6cnqQpls"]HU Homescreen - YouTube[/ame]

Quick resume (car was off for 3-4 minutes):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtK0osHV9Ac"]HU Resume from off - YouTube[/ame]

Basic feature response:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXQitWGtDD4"]Basic Feature Response - YouTube[/ame]

Voice Search and web:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGqPxuuAVQ"]HU Search and Web - YouTube[/ame]

iPod/iPhone function:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWERBuQR3Rk"]Ipod function.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Navigation skim through:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOwq6m9LAg"]NAV - YouTube[/ame]

GPS tracking with nav map:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilstqt_JZDc"]HU Nav driving - YouTube[/ame]

I was going to take one of the bluetooth phone features, but I doubt my contacts want their info broadcast over youtube LOL.

Anyone have any other questions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
cobrabyte (09-18-2012), Sportsguy83 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good, I'd be interested if it came with all the necessary harnesses and dash kit adapter to plug n play with the stock wiring/dash. If not, it would really have to depend on what those group buy price breaks are. Finally, I'd prefer if the thing could be rooted, even if I'm stuck using their ROM, I'd still want root.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Interested in the price.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
2forme

Garage
Price is in the original post. It depends on how many people participate.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
I guess I should have said I am curious of the bulk pricing. They are on eBay for 599.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Not sure what phone you have, but its AOSP 2.2. I have no idea if it can be rooted or not. I've been able to download a majority of the apps from my phone to the head unit. Most of them are not useful for a car though (Do I really need to play angry birds or words with friends in the car?). You are welcome to use your own navigation app, music app, video player, etc. You ARE stuck with using their apps for things like reverse camera, rear headrest video output, steering wheel controls. Pandora works flawlessly, as does google maps (with an internet connection).

Considering the options on the market (Kenwoods, Pioneers, Sonys), I'd hardly call that "Half-assed". The truth is, even if there were more limitations, the head unit provides a better user experience than head units that cost 2-3x the price.
I seem to have gone off on a rant again.

I'm not calling this HU half-assed right off the bat. I'm just saying that there is a minimum standard for an interface that all of us use every day. And that IF this HU doesn't meet that standard, I wouldn't find it acceptable.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
$600 for a head unit running a two year old version of the Android OS? No thanks. You're better off buying a Nexus 7 for $250 and mounting it to your dash. Somebody should make a really nice looking enclosure for the N7.
feedbag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feedbag For This Useful Post:
Aznek (10-01-2012), CMOS (10-21-2012), michaelahess (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Can the existing usb/aux still be wired into the back of this unit? I DON'T want to plug shit into the HU itself, that gets ugly.

I've loved iGo for years, one of the best nav programs out there, and I've probably used all of them at one point or another. Though it does seem to start slower than even my old Samsung WinMo phone...

Are there detailed specs on this? CPU/RAM/ROM/etc?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
$600 for a head unit running a two year old version of the Android OS? No thanks. You're better off buying a Nexus 7 for $250 and mounting it to your dash. Somebody should make a really nice looking enclosure for the N7.
You're completely missing the point. This isn't necessarily to imitate mounting a tablet somehwere. It's to provide a better headunit experience. Besides, aside from google now, and a handful of ICS/Jelly Bean only apps, there's not much advantage to having the Nexus 7 mounted somewhere.

I guess I prefer a cleaner, more streamlined look.

I have a Nexus 7 myself, and don't see any advantage to having that mounted somewhere on the dash or windshield in addition to a head unit. It seems like it would be a pain to operate both at the same time just access a few apps that wouldn't even necessarily be for cars.

And how would you hook up a steering wheel control, external monitors, backup camera, and radio to the tablet??? Either way you look at it, the head unit is a better option for a car.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #25
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
Can the existing usb/aux still be wired into the back of this unit? I DON'T want to plug shit into the HU itself, that gets ugly.

I've loved iGo for years, one of the best nav programs out there, and I've probably used all of them at one point or another. Though it does seem to start slower than even my old Samsung WinMo phone...

Are there detailed specs on this? CPU/RAM/ROM/etc?
Yup, there are 2 USB leads in the back (labelled 3G and WiFi, but that doesn't matter). I have a 16GB USB stick sitting in the 3G one. You can also hook up a small USB hub if you want more.

I guess I'm used to Kenwoods and Pioneers taking forever to bootup. My X930BT took about 10 seconds longer than this. Plus it sleeps for a small amount of time. So if you stop at home, run in, and come back. It will resume to whatever you were doing as soon as you turn the car on. I posted a video of that.

I've never used iGo before, but am pleasantly surprised.

As far as specs, here is what I know:

CPU: 1GHz Cortex A8
RAM: 512MB
USB: 3 Slots
SD: 2 Slots (one is occupied by the iGo maps)... the other supports up to 64GB full size SD card.
Built in Amp: 45x4
Screen: 800x480
There is some onboard storage for apps if you don't want to use an SD card, not sure of the exact amount ... I'll check after work.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So this has Froyo and a up-to-the-job CPU...I think it's ok!
I thought about an android HU as soon as I saw the 2-din slot on the GT86.
This looks like the best candidate.
The guys who designed it really knew what they were doing, nothing seems amiss.
I like the fact that you have a physical volume wheel, which an integrated tabled wouldn't.
I also like the CD and SD slot open without moving the screen.
Actually, the CD player is not of much use, and I would have liked a bigger screen in higher definition (720p would be spot on), but hey, you can't have everything. Maybe the next model!
The red/blue leds are a nice touch.
The quick reboot function is also nice.

Good job on the videos, they really show everything in details.

How does the bluetooth work with a android phone?

How is the video playback?
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #27
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
As long as you're getting this head unit for what it is - a head unit, the version of Android on it is irrelevant. For the use case of providing head unit functionality in a vehicle, this device looks to be a fairly strong performer. If you're interested in having a current Android platform to reliably run all your modern apps on it, then you'll have less than desirable results.

Don't think of this as a $500+ Android device, think of it as a $500+ full-featured head unit that just happens to run Android.

Yeah, I keep all of my Android devices current (even beyond that since I use custom ROMs), but aside from some manufacturer TSB, I can't even remember having to worry about updating the firmware on one of my head units.

Like 2forme stated earlier, you're not going to be running all of your full-blown Android apps on this thing. There are some specific vehicle-related apps that would be great to have on here, other than that, it's basically a highly skinnable, user-familiar UI that, as a bonus, you might be able to take advantage of some of your favorite Android apps that might prove useful in a vehicle.

It's not going to replace your iPad, Nexus, or smartphone, but it will perform admirably as a vehicle headunit, integrating with your sound system, GPS, rearview cameras, external video displays, etc.

One more question for 2forme - can this thing mate to our SiriusXM unit?
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post

Good job on the videos, they really show everything in details.

How does the bluetooth work with a android phone?

How is the video playback?
Phone integration is very nice. It connects quickly and gives you access to a dial pad, contact list, call log, and music. Everything has nice fluid animations when changing through the different items.

I would have taken a video, but my Adobe Premiere skills aren't up to par so I wouldn't have been able to blur our all the actual contact information.

I'll pop in a DVD and an SD card with some movies and take a short video of it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
As long as you're getting this head unit for what it is - a head unit, the version of Android on it is irrelevant. For the use case of providing head unit functionality in a vehicle, this device looks to be a fairly strong performer. If you're interested in having a current Android platform to reliably run all your modern apps on it, then you'll have less than desirable results.

Don't think of this as a $500+ Android device, think of it as a $500+ full-featured head unit that just happens to run Android.

Yeah, I keep all of my Android devices current (even beyond that since I use custom ROMs), but aside from some manufacturer TSB, I can't even remember having to worry about updating the firmware on one of my head units.

Like 2forme stated earlier, you're not going to be running all of your full-blown Android apps on this thing. There are some specific vehicle-related apps that would be great to have on here, other than that, it's basically a highly skinnable, user-familiar UI that, as a bonus, you might be able to take advantage of some of your favorite Android apps that might prove useful in a vehicle.

It's not going to replace your iPad, Nexus, or smartphone, but it will perform admirably as a vehicle headunit, integrating with your sound system, GPS, rearview cameras, external video displays, etc.

One more question for 2forme - can this thing mate to our SiriusXM unit?
This is exactly my point! Thank you Foobar.

On the XM, I'm not sure. I'd have to check into that for you. I personally don't use XM so I wonder if there's an App and USB dongle kit that would work...

By default the unit lets you install from outside sources, or whatever the exact verbiage is. You can stick an SD card or USB stick in with apk's and install them LOL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
blu_ (10-20-2012), Gardus@Supersprint (09-14-2012), Roadstercycle (10-12-2012)