follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Post less and read more.

The 240 is the like *the* most modified car around. Everything has been done. Zilvia is not like it used to be, but all the information is still there from the days of yore, and it's still relevant. There is almost no question that you can ask that hasn't been answered at least 5-10 times already.

At some point when you graduate from alibaba-spec, you can go start reading on nissanroadracing.com. The registration link is broken, but there's still a ton of great info to learn. Probably better since you can't post anything, you can only read lol.
So true lol. I've been looking at posts on Zilvia from like 06' and it is helpful for sure. and I actually dont post much, just kind of cant help but reply to everyone, its just part of me lol

edit: I'll look into local autocross but I highly doubt they let 15 year olds drive in that
__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
e1_griego
Senior Member
 
e1_griego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Many
Location: Independence, Ore.
Posts: 722
Thanks: 231
Thanked 409 Times in 246 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Most clubs will let you compete on a permit with a licensed driver in the passenger seat.

Or just wait a year.

You're going to suck at it for a year or two. Everyone does. Don't worry about it.

You'll get more help and positive attention if you avoid: plastidip, stupid wings, bright colored stock wheels, bunches of stupid stickers, etc. Don't get wrapped up in building for social media and you'll be onto something.

About half the people on this forum could probably use this same advice...
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #17
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Most clubs will let you compete on a permit with a licensed driver in the passenger seat.

Or just wait a year.

You're going to suck at it for a year or two. Everyone does. Don't worry about it.

You'll get more help and positive attention if you avoid: plastidip, stupid wings, bright colored stock wheels, bunches of stupid stickers, etc. Don't get wrapped up in building for social media and you'll be onto something.

About half the people on this forum could probably use this same advice...
Ok thats good to hear. I am going to get my permit in the next 2-3 months so it works out well. For sure i'll avoid it XD. I want most if not everything on my car to be functional. and the social media isnt an issue, I dont have a following lol
__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing
 
Takumi788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 769
Thanked 1,194 Times in 595 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
There is a 13 year old competing in NASA Time Trials/Spec Miata in the Northeast region. Not sure how he went about it but it is possible. I don't recommend starting with track days because it is very expensive and high risk. AutoX would be a much better way to get into Motorsports.

Also for the S13. Good decision. The truth is that you are too young to have to worry about payments on an FRS. Odds are you don't have a super reliable job or one that pays too well. So a car you can put money into when you can is a much better choice. Check out my build thread for my s13 build. I had a SR20DET S13 hatch, S13 convertible and a S14. I loved those cars and plan to buy another vert one day soon. Its a great starter car as long as you find one that was well taken care of. Just stick with the KA until you are sure you know what you are doing. SR20DET's are super easy to work on but do require a lot of attention.....and money.

Feel free to PM me if you have any 240sx related questions.
__________________
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
There is a 13 year old competing in NASA Time Trials/Spec Miata in the Northeast region. Not sure how he went about it but it is possible. I don't recommend starting with track days because it is very expensive and high risk. AutoX would be a much better way to get into Motorsports.

Also for the S13. Good decision. The truth is that you are too young to have to worry about payments on an FRS. Odds are you don't have a super reliable job or one that pays too well. So a car you can put money into when you can is a much better choice. Check out my build thread for my s13 build. I had a SR20DET S13 hatch, S13 convertible and a S14. I loved those cars and plan to buy another vert one day soon. Its a great starter car as long as you find one that was well taken care of. Just stick with the KA until you are sure you know what you are doing. SR20DET's are super easy to work on but do require a lot of attention.....and money.

Feel free to PM me if you have any 240sx related questions.
Thanks so much I will make sure to friend you! And ya that's exactly why i didn't go with the frs. I didn't want to end up financially "crippling" myself for the next few years bc I would be paying off a car. And ya like I said, I/H/E KA for probably a year or two before I do anything crazy.
__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #20
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well guys... Here she is. I'm beyond happy. I want you guys to guess what I paid for the car it has: new rims, new tires, a real nice sound system (im an audiophile), 161k miles. (paid $2500)









__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography

Last edited by ithinkimcrashing_; 05-14-2017 at 11:06 PM.
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:44 AM   #21
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER
 
Clipdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
I like that first pic with the sunset in the background!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing
 
Takumi788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 769
Thanked 1,194 Times in 595 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
GOOD FIND! She's clean! Living in the North East I had no idea that clean of a S13 still exist!
__________________
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #23
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
GOOD FIND! She's clean! Living in the North East I had no idea that clean of a S13 still exist!
I know right?! Was an absolute steal for the price. And when I checked out the car in person, it left my jaw on the floor, 0 rust, slight color fade on the passenger side fender but nothing horrible. I was quite humbled when the owner told me he valued a good owner for the car over getting more money for the car.
__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #24
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '24 GR86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,685
Thanks: 658
Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,584 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimcrashing_ View Post
Tell that to the guy who was building his skyline here
Jk but I have, and if we're gonna be real here, the Zilvia forums are kind of dead all I'm trying to do is share the build, nothing more nothing less.
It's not that Zilvia is dead, it's just a shit hole now. Has been for nearly the past decade. Filled with nothing but just a bunch of kids getting into d#ck measuring contests and trying to boost their own egos with half-assed "builds" and attempted internet fame.

Most of the people who started that forum or were largely active back in the good days have since moved on to do other things now. They still linger here and there, but they seem to interact more on ZT.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #25
OND
Senior Member
 
OND's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2023 BRZ
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 209
Thanks: 174
Thanked 221 Times in 90 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Congrats, that looks like a clean example. Any plans yet?

When i had my s14, I spent the whole first year replacing the sh.tty mods that the previous owner had done, so you definetely made a smarter purchase decision than i did
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
Congrats, that looks like a clean example. Any plans yet?

When i had my s14, I spent the whole first year replacing the sh.tty mods that the previous owner had done, so you definetely made a smarter purchase decision than i did
thanks! We'll as of right now since I didn't spend too much on it($2500) I want to just go with coils and hopefully do a 5 lug conversion in the near future.
__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #27
ithinkimcrashing_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: 91' 240sx
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
It's not that Zilvia is dead, it's just a shit hole now. Has been for nearly the past decade. Filled with nothing but just a bunch of kids getting into d#ck measuring contests and trying to boost their own egos with half-assed "builds" and attempted internet fame.

Most of the people who started that forum or were largely active back in the good days have since moved on to do other things now. They still linger here and there, but they seem to interact more on ZT.
Kinda why I came here, I clearly know this isn't an s chassis forum, but I would rather get actual opinions and help over someone trying to do a "drift missile" build or something
__________________
"What's Life Without Big Dreams" Instagram: @dv8_photography
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #28
e1_griego
Senior Member
 
e1_griego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Many
Location: Independence, Ore.
Posts: 722
Thanks: 231
Thanked 409 Times in 246 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Zilvia has plenty of folks left who know what they're doing.

I'd trust the opinions of the OGs who do post over the folks here :-X
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
14 Year Old Dreams... ithinkimcrashing_ Member's Car Journals 79 08-20-2016 05:57 PM
Argento dreams Buddhas Member's Car Journals 6 05-14-2016 05:14 PM
Dreams Priapus Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 15 08-04-2014 11:57 PM
BRZ/FR-S Dreams? MrBRZ Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 7 03-22-2012 08:55 AM
Dreams about the BRZ 86'd BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 20 02-25-2012 10:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.