follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
nope. but i drive that spot almost every single day and there's nothing.

what if i told you that the police used to do photo radar here, but the city took over a few years ago, and they went OVER the photo radar budget by about $40 million and the tickets issued increases 6-7 times?

even the police said it's a cash cow
Perfect. Keeps the taxes down while still enforcing the law. Again, whether you agree or disagree about the limit it is the limit and the people they busted were speeding. The idea of speeding tickets is to get people to stop speeding all the time not just at the spot they are issued. I speed everywhere I drive and know that I run the risk of getting nailed. If it is a "trap" or just a stretch of road doesn't matter since I would indeed have been speeding. Don't speed and you won't get caught in a trap. Speed and that is the risk you accepted by your own actions.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i agree with you, and not saying it's not the fault of the drivers, but i'm just stating that it's such an obvious cash grab in about 50% of the speed trap locations.
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
i agree with you, and not saying it's not the fault of the drivers, but i'm just stating that it's such an obvious cash grab in about 50% of the speed trap locations.
Meh. They have to set them up someplace.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Perfect. Keeps the taxes down while still enforcing the law. Again, whether you agree or disagree about the limit it is the limit and the people they busted were speeding. The idea of speeding tickets is to get people to stop speeding all the time not just at the spot they are issued. I speed everywhere I drive and know that I run the risk of getting nailed. If it is a "trap" or just a stretch of road doesn't matter since I would indeed have been speeding. Don't speed and you won't get caught in a trap. Speed and that is the risk you accepted by your own actions.
Not to derail too much here but I too have also accepted the fate of the speeding tickets gods bestow upon me for my speeding. In the olden days(about 20 years ago),
I think I had a transmitter in my car that pinpointed my location to the police so they could catch me very easily.
The only problem is after getting a radar detector now for the last 15ish years, they can't catch me any more. I feel sorry for them
sometimes looking at them as I drive past with so much prior warning of their presence. It can't be fun just sitting in a parked car
pointing a electronic device at people to make money for the government. When they start moving around in traffic is the only time it gets interesting.

I got my detector early warning a couple weeks ago and was driving with another car that although driving fast like I was also drove very
carelessly(no signaling and cutting people off). I dropped down to a reasonable speed and then spotted the familiar long taillights of a
Dodge Charger police cruiser that we were coming up on. The bozo by my side just kept on driving at a high rate and even took off pretty fast from a
light literally with the cop diagonal to his front of his car. The cop let him take off and get up to about 70 in a 55 and then popped his lights on.
Meanwhile my radar detector is going crazy and I'm looking at the back of the unmarked cop car and saying to myself, "how are you going to drive like
that without protection and not even know what a cop drives?"

I think a radar detector is the largest reason why I'm in the no ticket zone since it's purchase but also being aware of your surroundings really helps and that only comes with time.
-Knowing the physical area and where the cops sit/hide is huge.
-Knowing the time they are out generally looking for speeders.
-Knowing what type of cars that particular area uses including unmarked cruisers.
-Knowing what is the limit they will allow you to go over the actual posted speed limit.
All of these are crucial to remaining ticketless but then the weirdest scenario is when you can sense them and just slow down. I can't count the times, especially recently,
that I am going way over the limit and just decide to just drop down and then like 5 seconds later I come up on a State Trooper with no warning from my detector.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
being aware of your surroundings really helps and that only comes with time.
-Knowing the physical area and where the cops sit/hide is huge.
-Knowing the time they are out generally looking for speeders.
-Knowing what type of cars that particular area uses including unmarked cruisers.
-Knowing what is the limit they will allow you to go over the actual posted speed limit.
All of these are crucial to remaining ticketless but then the weirdest scenario is when you can sense them and just slow down. I can't count the times, especially recently,
that I am going way over the limit and just decide to just drop down and then like 5 seconds later I come up on a State Trooper with no warning from my detector.

Radar detectors are illegal here so the list above is your only friend.
You aren't really "sensing" them but receiving subconscious clues that they may be there based upon experience. A quick flash of brake lights up ahead, coming up to an overpass or blind turn, or many other common indicators may appear but you just don't fully process the thought so it seems like you sensed it.
wireman957 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

There are a few towns in Florida that major highways run through where this is really bad. 55 down to 45, down to 35, then 25, back up to 35, back down to 25, gradually increases back to 55 at exit. You know, the sort of stuff where you really have to be paying attention or you could miss one.

They would leave the locals be and pull over only drivers with out of state plates for going like 1 or 2 mph over, which is almost unavoidable at some point when speed limits are changing so often. They knew vacationers and other out of staters would just pay it and move on because nobody is going to go the whole way back to Florida to fight it in court. This went on for a while until AAA decided it was so bad that they were going to pay for billboards outside the town to warn motorists. I'm sure it still goes on to a lesser extent.

There's a town like this but not quite as bad near where I live and my brother and I got pulled when he missed a sign one day. He realized and slowed down before seeing the cop coming after us but after he should have per the sign. The cop saw his license and issued a warning, probably because he saw that our address is 30 minutes away. We didn't even get the license/registration/insurance all put back away before he was off after another car. Fastest traffic stop I've ever been in. Like literally 3 minutes may be an overestimate.

Regardless though, it is still written down and people know what they are doing. People can blame it on officers giving 5 over or 10 over in a lot of places but the fact is, if you aren't following what is posted on the sign, you open yourself up to a potential ticket. What those towns in Florida are doing is still abuse but at the same time, someone could drive the whole way through going 20 mph and they wouldn't be bothered.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
someone could drive the whole way through going 20 mph and they wouldn't be bothered.
Here they would then get a ticket for obstructing traffic!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #22
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Speaking of speed changing a bunch does the speed limit technically change right at the sign or at some strange point before or after it?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #23
Tcoat

At the sign.
finch1750 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #24
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
As a Floridian I have passed the towns Yardjass is talking about several times and they have relaxed a little but if you know what's good for you, you slow to exactly the speed that sign says.
They are sitting in brand new shiny cruisers that all the speeders going 2 mph over bought them with that extra revenue. I recall before getting a radar detector, and in a defensive driver class
to purge the points on my license, an old guy like 80 saying they gave him his first ticket in his life for a couple miles over the limit. They don't play around there.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #25
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
As a Floridian I have passed the towns Yardjass is talking about several times and they have relaxed a little but if you know what's good for you, you slow to exactly the speed that sign says.
They are sitting in brand new shiny cruisers that all the speeders going 2 mph over bought them with that extra revenue. I recall before getting a radar detector, and in a defensive driver class
to purge the points on my license, an old guy like 80 saying they gave him his first ticket in his life for a couple miles over the limit. They don't play around there.
At least they dont throw you in jail for it. (Dont speed in Virginia folks)

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 02-27-2017 at 10:39 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I don't wash my hands after I pee.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #27
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
At least they dont throw you in jail for it. (Dont speed in Virginia folks)

They can't throw you in jail in Virginia for 2 mph over either.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote