follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
How much clearance does that give you? I've seen someone tear the corner by the passenger side headlight trying to lift up the bumper top to remove the stock tube.
I found the bumper cover to be really flexible and I had enough clearance lifting it up (helps to have a buddy do this for you) to remove the stock snorkel and slip that out by the passenger headlight. Then I slipped the CAI pipe in through the engine bay side by rotating it to clear the tab for the bolt, and then finally slipped in the filter by again lifting up on the bumper cover on the passenger side by the headlight, and fitted it and tightened the hose clamp down.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 01-23-2013 at 11:49 AM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks great!

Anyone know if you can use the perrin inlet tube with this Perrin True CAI??? I would assume so but it never hurts to confirm...
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
That's a big gap where the intake pipe goes through.
Is it not possible to make an oval filter that will go through there when fitted to the intake pipe, that can be rotated around into position?
It would be an easy fit, easy to get out to clean and you would sell a lot more.
The pipe is too large to fit past the radiator support header, this is the main reason you have to remove the bumper is so you can lift the header to get the pipe through. As I said, this intake is not for people looking for a quick install and removing the bumper with the proper tools only takes about 10 minutes. It took me longer because I was taking pictures and it was my first time and I was doing it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufleth View Post
Since you're in Somerville I hope you're not letting A-Plus fix that bumper scuff. They replaced a bumper on my Subaru and failed to etch it...at all. The paint just peeled right off.
Hell no, it's going back to Rick at Unique Car Care and he is going to fix it and reapply the Clear Bra in that area. That scratch was from earlier in the year back in June when I was first learning to drive stick in the car and I was attempting to parallel park. I haven't scratched the car since...it's the only blemish on my perfect paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1913 View Post
Video under load please!! Cannot decide between this or VMS intake..
Video's will have to wait, it's winter here and this isn't a winter car for me so it isn't winterized (doesn't have any snow tires.) I don't want to get salt on it so it hasn't left the garage for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Nice, man. Not a fan of the design personally, but we will have to get together soon to do temperature logging so I can add it the running intake database lol
Definitely shall, I think you will be surprised in the performance once I get it tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
That's disappointing that the Perrin CAI requires removing the bumper. I was able to install my VMS CAI by just unbolting the top of the bumper and lifting it up to slip in the filter (dry K&N) and bolt on the pipe. I figured the Perrin would be just as easy.
As I said before, removing the bumper is required due to the size of the pipe, you must remove it in order to get the pipe past the radiator support header. I have never heard of a VMS intake for the BRZ or FR-S please provide me with a link for comparison. The hole next to the radiator support is not very large, this is definitely the biggest pipe they could fit in there without cutting. The filter is also placed dead center in the bumper. I will agree the design is NOT the easiest to install, but I am pretty sure you can replace the filter by just unbolting the top of the bumper and popping the filter off. I don't know, I have not tried it yet. We'll find out soon enough with how much I drive, my BRZ already has 12,000 miles on it.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Looks great!

Anyone know if you can use the perrin inlet tube with this Perrin True CAI??? I would assume so but it never hurts to confirm...
You can, they were made as a set.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
I have never heard of a VMS intake for the BRZ or FR-S please provide me with a link for comparison.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24633

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 01-23-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Definitely shall, I think you will be surprised in the performance once I get it tuned.
Well, that depends on who's doing the tuning...
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
You can, they were made as a set.
If your paying for the retune I think you should opt for the intake tube before the tune.. no sense in not cleaning up all the restrictions at one time
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
Sony

Quote:
If your paying for the retune I think you should opt for the intake tube before the tune.. no sense in not cleaning up all the restrictions at one time
I'm one of the few people who actually likes having a sound generator, don't ask me why, I just like it. Perrin doesn't have an option to keep the SG on their intake duct so I didn't buy it, I may purchase the AVO later but I'm not in a huge rush.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
Sony

Quote:
Looks nice, however the Perrin is a constant diameter from tip to tail whereas the VMS it seems has a step up from a smaller diameter tube just before the MAF. I am no expert so I don't know what would perform better for sure but it would seem to me that the Perrin would flow smoother since it's one single smooth tube all the way up until after the MAF. I don't know, we'll see once I get a chance to actually drive the car.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
ChaChas345
Banned

Drives: Corolla
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
That's disappointing that the Perrin CAI requires removing the bumper. I was able to install my VMS CAI by just unbolting the top of the bumper and lifting it up to slip in the filter (dry K&N) and bolt on the pipe. I figured the Perrin would be just as easy.
What did you expect with a CAI? Its honestly not that hard once you get it down. And its once a year. Doesnt take brains to do it correctly. People complaining about such a thing dont get it then if you dont like it.

A little work for peace of mind knowing your intake gets cool air vs sucking in hot air in the engine with little to no gain. IMO if you want a good intake youll need to do that. Whether its an intake duct or CAI. Its honestly not that big of a deal. You get good gains with it and imagine with a silicone tube from Perrin. Gains would be even better and smoothed out vs using the stock orchodion tube

Quote:
Looks great!

its basically made to be used with it. People in another thread were complaining of a drop in whp saying it was 5 whp when it wasnt even true. Their was no gap in the dyno at that 3500 rpms like at the peak when you see 4 whp. The silicone tube IMO will smooth out the airflow and compliment your other mods. If you have their header back Perrin noted that they saw as high as 4 whp just from adding the tube to the CAI/Header back. for 300 bucks you get the CAI and 140 more for good gains versus other intakes on the market which dont even do anything at all besides give you some sound. For what the others cost you might as well just get a drop in and silicone tube than getting those intakes. Most of those intakes either lose power or gain 3 whp while Perrins CAI which is priced competitively gains 5 whp already without the silicone tube.
ChaChas345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaChas345 For This Useful Post:
crank (01-25-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Yep, and I'd recommend anyone installing any CAI to go ahead and take the bumper off if they have the time. It's much easier to install AFTER you get the bumper off, but taking it off and putting it back on is kinda tedious. I'll be taking my bumper off sooner or later for other mods, but I'd like to do it as infrequently as possible.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
You pretty much have to remove the stock bumper at least one time to get the OEM tube out. Some are just prying and bending the bumper to slide it out which works too, but it can be risky. The only downside I see to this system is having to re-oil / clean the filter. Once you start removing the bumper though, it goes quick. Just be careful with those pop screws... just picked up 4 extras from the dealer today because I messed mine up pretty bad.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #27
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I am wondering if its worth it to switch from aFe(not installed yet) to the Perrin CAI. But I want to get rid of the noise generator which means I need the silicone tube as well which together will be like 400$ Yikes!
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am wondering if its worth it to switch from aFe(not installed yet) to the Perrin CAI. But I want to get rid of the noise generator which means I need the silicone tube as well which together will be like 400$ Yikes!
$453 before tax and shipping

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 01-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.