follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
robotvoice

Drives: 07 STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
Its FAR more functional than the REFLECTOR that it was.
Sorry, but it's not. Because the light sits so low, it's only true function is to act as a rear fog light, not a true brake light. So in fact, you will get full use out of the light if you wire it to a switch or your front fogs and use the light in bad weather light it was intended for. The car already comes equipped with the legal and correct amount of brake lights you need to operate on a public road.

Here's some info on rear fogs for those who are curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...Rear_fog_lamps
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robotvoice For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
jskurucz
Yep!

Drives: 2015 WRX Sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotvoice View Post
Third brake lights are designed to be eye level with the driver in the car behind you and HIGHER than the main brake lights. Turning your rear fog light into another brake light is unnecessarily redundant. You might face legal problems removing your OEM 3rd brake light as well, especially if you got in a rear end collision. The rear fog only has one purpose and is designed for only that, and it is NOT to serve as another brake light. It would be the equivalent of wiring your turn signals to stay on all the time just because you think it looks "cool".
I'm confused. Isn't this light fully functional in Japan which acts as brake light? Anyways, the write-up was very good and I'm not sure why this guy has a problem with it. He's pretty much saying you aren't supposed to put a rear wing/spoiler on your car because it's purpose isn't put to use at the normal highway speeds. Lighten up, bro.

Also, many of us tinted our windows passed the legal limit. Please, send us the wikipedia page about the legal limits on tinting. Please. I need a good read.
jskurucz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jskurucz For This Useful Post:
mikepaul21 (10-19-2013)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
wwmph
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
robotvoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskurucz View Post
I'm confused. Isn't this light fully functional in Japan which acts as brake light? Anyways, the write-up was very good and I'm not sure why this guy has a problem with it. He's pretty much saying you aren't supposed to put a rear wing/spoiler on your car because it's purpose isn't put to use at the normal highway speeds. Lighten up, bro.

Also, many of us tinted our windows passed the legal limit. Please, send us the wikipedia page about the legal limits on tinting. Please. I need a good read.
No...it isn't wired as a brake light from the factory anywhere. If you see someone who has done this they modified it themselves to act as a brake light and not a rear fog light.

And you're completely missing the point. A lot of people don't know what a rear fog light even is or what it is for and because of threads like this, they will assume it IS a 4th brake light and want to wire it up incorrectly because they are following the "trend". I'm simply offering the information on what the light actually does and how they can wire it up to be FUNCTIONAL. You can take it or leave it. Also people mentioning removing their third brake light in the window is a bit alarming and for safety and legal reason should NEVER be done.

I've ran rear fog lights on several of my previous cars and it's a great safety feature to have. But if you think it's way cooler to run an extra, redundant brake light, to each his own then.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Brimford

Drives: Whiteout / MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Your wikipedia read out makes it sound like its a light operated by the driver in intense foggy situations. However from my understanding there are no lights inside of it to enable to begin with. I thought it was just a light reflector?
Brimford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
robotvoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimford View Post
Your wikipedia read out makes it sound like its a light operated by the driver in intense foggy situations. However from my understanding there are no lights inside of it to enable to begin with. I thought it was just a light reflector?
US regulations don't require cars to have rear fog lights, so the USDM version of the BRZ/FRS gets a reflector piece in its place. In Europe and other countries that require a rear fog light, the car will come equipped with an independent switch so you can activate the light during inclement weather.
Trap63 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
ZILLA
BRZ #575

Drives: 2013 BRZ #575
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotvoice View Post
Sorry, but it's not. Because the light sits so low, it's only true function is to act as a rear fog light, not a true brake light. So in fact, you will get full use out of the light if you wire it to a switch or your front fogs and use the light in bad weather light it was intended for. The car already comes equipped with the legal and correct amount of brake lights you need to operate on a public road.
For you to say a reflector is MORE funtional than a light is absurd.
BRZ #575 SWP Limited
18x8" Drag DR-31 +48 | 235/40/18 | 6000K HID Low/High | Wrapped All Red Tail Lights | Rear Fog + Brake Light Combo Mod [Video]
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZILLA For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (02-03-2016), wawro569 (10-09-2012), |-Goku-| (07-12-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
FlipFRS

Drives: Asphalt
great DIY thanks! will definitely be making mine into a foglight soon

FlipFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #23
Roadstercycle
FRS Rear Mount Turbo

Drives: 2013 FR-S Raven, Rear Turbo
So actually what we have here is a failure to communicate. It's a fog light with your headlights on and a brake light when you hit the brakes. Looks like the best of both worlds. A little safety and a little more safety +2. If anyone gets a ticket then we'll reevaluate the situation.

Great DIY. What the hell, its there, might as well do something fun with it.
Roadstercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadstercycle For This Useful Post:
DrDuquette (09-06-2013), karma003 (08-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Regardless of personal opinions on whether or not this should be done, the quality of the DIY is excellent. Well done.

Did you place any sealant between the bulb sockets and the housing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattR For This Useful Post:
DrDuquette (09-06-2013), lextrueno (08-12-2015)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
robotvoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
For you to say a reflector is MORE funtional than a light is absurd.
Wow, no...you're twisting my words around for your own benefit. Take a deep breath and try to follow along here. If you actually READ what I said, it's that because of the location of the light on the car and what it is actually intended and designed for, you will get the most functionality by putting the light on a dedicated switch or tapping into your front fogs and using it in bad weather. It's really that simple. Having a 4th brake light offers absolutely no benefits to the driver. But, if that's the look you're after then by all means, to each his own. Again, I'm simply offering information to those who don't know what the light is actually for or those who want to wire it up correctly.
MileMonger (02-08-2018)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #26
ZILLA
BRZ #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFRS View Post
great DIY thanks! will definitely be making mine into a foglight soon
Youre welcome :happy0180:
BRZ #575 SWP Limited
18x8" Drag DR-31 +48 | 235/40/18 | 6000K HID Low/High | Wrapped All Red Tail Lights | Rear Fog + Brake Light Combo Mod [Video]
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
ZILLA
BRZ #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
So actually what we have here is a failure to communicate. It's a fog light with your headlights on and a brake light when you hit the brakes. Looks like the best of both worlds. A little safety and a little more safety +2. If anyone gets a ticket then we'll reevaluate the situation.

Great DIY. What the hell, its there, might as well do something fun with it.
EXACTLY!
BRZ #575 SWP Limited
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #28
ZILLA
BRZ #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Regardless of personal opinions on whether or not this should be done, the quality of the DIY is excellent. Well done.

Did you place any sealant between the bulb sockets and the housing?
Thank you. The sockets have a domed /suction cup like rubber shape to them which seemed to do a great job sealing them up when I inserted the sockets into the holes. Hard to explain but I was comfortable leaving them as is with no sealant. That way they can come out easy too, if I have to change a bulb.
BRZ #575 SWP Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to ZILLA For This Useful Post:
MattR (07-10-2012)

Tags
custom, fog, fog light, foglight, rear fog light