follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #15
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty666 View Post
why not have the shop switch out your mufflers for something like flow master quiet flow
I like the Tsudo sound but just slightly too much drone. Also seems like more work and money to swap mufflers.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 AM   #16
eighty666
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
id like to do this with my aftermarket exhaust

then i could switch between loud and quiet. might have a cool tone with 2 different mufflers on it also.

exhaust dump open..... it flows through both mufflers. (left & right)
exhaust dump closed... it flows through the quiet muffler. (right only)

i got the exhaust dump. now im just trying to find the quietest muffler out there (that will fit in place of the aftermarket one). so far ive only found walker mufflers. anyone know of the most stealth mufflers out there? it would be a huge plus if it made the car quieter than stock but that probably wont be possible with out space for a big muffler. but im only looking for quiet mufflers that are 2.75 or 3in inlet/outlet and they have to be quiet! not looking for a performance muffler i dont care about the performance of the muffler. it just needs to be as stealth as possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by eighty666; 05-20-2014 at 05:21 AM.
eighty666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Just wanted to update my resonator adventure. I cut off my old Tsudo one and put on the new shiny fatter Vibrant 17930 one. To be absolutely honest it didn't make much difference. Maybe the Ultra Quiet One would have but I'm starting to realize the noise in the cabin is more of a mixture of road noise and engine noise than the exhaust. Might go with deadening footwells and see if that helps.

edit: It made a little bit of difference after having few others hear it but not a massive one.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads

Last edited by l0aded; 05-22-2014 at 03:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
calibrz
Turbo 86

Drives: GT86
can you just put the stock exhaust back?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #19
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrz View Post
can you just put the stock exhaust back?
I really didn't like the stock sound. I remembered it to be slightly whiney with very little down low.

After giving the resonator more time I think it does make a difference actually. I can listen to music at a lower volume on freeways I have noticed but it's definitely not a night and day thing. Also my idle feels almost too quiet now, almost ninja like. All said and done I'm decently happy with it and it sounds about the same* but definitely loss a little on the low end.

Last edited by l0aded; 05-22-2014 at 02:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-21-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #20
bryan767

Drives: 13' AVO Whiteout
Garage
Reviving this.

The fight to lower drone and dB.

I purchased the Vibrant Ultra quiet 1141, and I am having it welded in tomorrow morning.

I have a AVO turbo, 2.75 non resonated /no cat front pipe connected to a 2.75 Greddy evo3.
It sounds beautiful but boy does it drone, too much for my liking at least. After having the inlet/outlet expanded to 2.75 from 2.5 on the 1141, I am hoping that putting this somewhere in the front pipe will help me achieve a slightly quieter ride inside and out.

I watched multiple before after videos and found that conclusively the ultra quiet does seem to actually work. So this and sound deadening the trunk should be a winning combination.

I'll post a before/after video once it's complete.

EDIT: At a local performance shop getting the resonator welded in. Unfortunately the only place for it, is right where the front pipe and catback meet. So since I can't stand the sound but love the look, I'm getting them to move the flanges and put the resonator right on this spot. Hopefully all goes well.

EDIT 2: Well the resonator kicks ass! They were able to put it where the front and midpipe connect. Dropped the interior drone by a considerable amount. (No longer get an instant headache when letting off the gas going down hill). The exhaust still rumbles on my turbo UEL header and 2.75 catless non resonated exhaust, but it's a bit lower pitch, I would guess 3-5dB lower, which doesn't sound like much but it DID work for lowering drone and outside loudness. It still *does* drone slightly, which is why I'm still considering adding either a straight through muffler or another resonator.

Be warned there isn't much space to weld anything extra in, anything else would need be a spun (narrow/bottle) design, under 5" for the front or 10" long toward the rear..

I did find this muffler which might do the trick to get me near my comfort level of my Evo3. Its a 6" long, 4" round magnaflow racing muffler, straight through design that is made to lower dB. Probably going to add it before the Evo3's 20" long resonator.
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14156

Will finish the video somewhat soon

Last edited by bryan767; 08-16-2015 at 03:32 PM.
bryan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bryan767 For This Useful Post:
Lav (04-13-2022), snidd111 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #21
snidd111

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan767 View Post
Reviving this.

The fight to lower drone and dB.

I purchased the Vibrant Ultra quiet 1141, and I am having it welded in tomorrow morning.

I have a AVO turbo, 2.75 non resonated /no cat front pipe connected to a 2.75 Greddy evo3.
It sounds beautiful but boy does it drone, too much for my liking at least. After having the inlet/outlet expanded to 2.75 from 2.5 on the 1141, I am hoping that putting this somewhere in the front pipe will help me achieve a slightly quieter ride inside and out.

I watched multiple before after videos and found that conclusively the ultra quiet does seem to actually work. So this and sound deadening the trunk should be a winning combination.

I'll post a before/after video once it's complete.

EDIT: At a local performance shop getting the resonator welded in. Unfortunately the only place for it, is right where the front pipe and catback meet. So since I can't stand the sound but love the look, I'm getting them to move the flanges and put the resonator right on this spot. Hopefully all goes well.

EDIT 2: Well the resonator kicks ass! They were able to put it where the front and midpipe connect. Dropped the interior drone by a considerable amount. (No longer get an instant headache when letting off the gas going down hill). The exhaust still rumbles on my turbo UEL header and 2.75 catless non resonated exhaust, but it's a bit lower pitch, I would guess 3-5dB lower, which doesn't sound like much but it DID work for lowering drone and outside loudness. It still *does* drone slightly, which is why I'm still considering adding either a straight through muffler or another resonator.

Be warned there isn't much space to weld anything extra in, anything else would need be a spun (narrow/bottle) design, under 5" for the front or 10" long toward the rear..

I did find this muffler which might do the trick to get me near my comfort level of my Evo3. Its a 6" long, 4" round magnaflow racing muffler, straight through design that is made to lower dB. Probably going to add it before the Evo3's 20" long resonator.
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14156

Will finish the video somewhat soon
I have the ultra quiet too and was going to weld it in this weekend. Really glad someone posted their experience with our car and some pics of fitment.
I have catted JDL EL headers and Nameless axle back with 5" mufflers and cat but the drone is still awful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
snidd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
bryan767

Garage
Not a problem, it 100% worked with reducing drone. But it's still present at 70mph, so I'm adding a magnaflow race muffler right before the evo3 bottle resonator

Last edited by bryan767; 08-23-2015 at 05:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bryan767 For This Useful Post:
snidd111 (08-20-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #23
snidd111

So I wanted to give some details here. Bryan above had some new pipe put in. If you have a stock midpipe, the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator does not "just fit"! It can fit, but takes some work.

What we had to do was cut out the stock bottle resonator and the section of pipe leading up to the flange in the front. We then connected the stock resonator to the flange. The pipe on the rear end of the midpipe behind the stock resonator is also not 2.5". In order to accomodate this, we cut the size adapter portion off the stock resonator since the Vibrant would butt right up to the full sized portion of pipe. We then used the adapter on the other side of the Vibrant resonator to match up to the smaller pipe by the differential.

In order for the Vibrant resonator to fit there, it had to go at a slight angle. That way it would give the drive shaft clearance while not hanging too low below the car.

Bryan mentioned that he shifted the front flange forward and put his Vibrant resonator below the shifter. If you can get it between the tires, that will avoid messing with your overall ground clearance (especially for anyone lowered). But! To do this you will definitely need some spare stainless steel pipe.

Cutting out the bottle resonator:

Cleaning up the pipe diameter adapter that was cut off the bottle resonator:

Putting the adapter on the Vibrant resonator and butting the Vibrant up to the stock bottle resonator:

Getting the resonator to butt up to the front flange which has a compound angle to make it a pain in the ass...

Final result:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snidd111 For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (04-20-2016), DAEMANO (09-21-2015), kingkenny (08-26-2015), olsonpg (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #24
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I love this. I'm catless all the way through and ive been looking for a way to reduce the noise- I didnt know this was a possibility. Now i know!
olsonpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #25
snidd111

I should also mention that cold starts are definitely quieter but the drone when cruising is significantly quieter for sure. It also changed the general note from a bunch of angry gremlins to more of a fine tuned machine.

Happy to answer questions on fitment and what it took if anyone has any.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to snidd111 For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (05-16-2016)
Old 09-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
bryan767

Garage
I have the ultra quiet + 6inch race muffler by magnaflow on my evo3. The drone is soo much more tolerable now then before.
Just going to dynomat the trunk for good measure.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #27
shifter907
Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ Ltd 6MT
I just ordered one of these to make an axleback utilizing the OEM muffler heat shield in the rear and exiting on the pass. side. (sort of the same concept as FT86 Speedfactory's axleback)
Old 09-22-2015, 01:27 AM   #28
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Wow glad to see this thread take off and so many people are following in the aftermarket resonator route. Been a long time since I installed mine and my opinion has not changed. Definitely helps for a better freeway ride and daily driving in general.

Now if I can only get some better sound insulation in the front where the engine is.