follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Totally worth it! I love the dual climate and smart key on my FR-S
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
A lot of people say that the car is a bit too small to warrant dual climate control, but as someone who always keeps the AC on the coldest setting, my passengers have loved having the ability to keep warm.
Looking at the dual climate control numbers makes me remember how uncomfortable I'm going to be once I get home. :\
Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
chickdigger802

Drives: 1997 Geo Prizm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hmmm looking at monthly payments for 36 months... will probably cost $100 more a month then like a base fr-s.

hmmmm... I guess i could eat out a bit less.
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Pneub

Drives: Dark Grey BRZ
Worth every penny. HID lights without having to change anything out. The alcantra seats are fantastic and don't get hot in the summer. The keyless entry becomes such a nice feature that it'll just be part of your life. Those right there make it worth the cost. Then you have the better dash, the push button start, the fog lights, dual zone climate control.

I wish it came with a better receiver. I swapped my wing for a wingless trunk. Also I wanted dark grey and it only came in limited on the Subaru. So worth ever penny.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
chickdigger802

Drives: 1997 Geo Prizm
So... what are HID and why do I want them? Those are the ones that give off the blue glow right?

besides the leather heated seats, anything else different between limited vs the similar priced 10 series fr-s? (well and those glowy bits).
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Dissenting opinion here, I hate onboard satellite navigation and touch screens in cars, didn't even consider the BRZ when I found out that was standard.

It's worth it if you can look at ALL those options and say "I would appreciate or at worst not mind those things in my car", it's probably the best deal out there in terms of upgrades from a base model (FRS to any BRZ at MSRP), but that doesn't mean anything if you like simple climate controls or having a traditional ignition or cloth over the other stuff.

Edit: HID's are the bluish lights that have become popular over the past 5 or so years. They're generally brighter than their traditional counterparts, more efficient and longer lasting (your mileage may vary).

I personally despise them due to a significant amount of night driving I've done but that doesn't really matter.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Dissenting opinion here, I hate onboard satellite navigation and touch screens in cars, didn't even consider the BRZ when I found out that was standard.

It's worth it if you can look at ALL those options and say "I would appreciate or at worst not mind those things in my car", it's probably the best deal out there in terms of upgrades from a base model (FRS to any BRZ at MSRP), but that doesn't mean anything if you like simple climate controls or having a traditional ignition or cloth over the other stuff.

Edit: HID's are the bluish lights that have become popular over the past 5 or so years. They're generally brighter than their traditional counterparts, more efficient and longer lasting (your mileage may vary).

I personally despise them due to a significant amount of night driving I've done but that doesn't really matter.
The lights were a deal breaker for me. I'm not getting a car in this decade that doesn't have them. Yes, there's more eye strain at night, but the illuminated portion is so much wider and brighter that I don't think you can argue against it. It's blueish if you fuck with the color temp...the OEMs are quite white.

Can't get a BRZ with NAV...so it's a moot point to compare between trims IMO, only when talking about the FR-S. In any case, it's easy enough to replace and plenty of folks do aftermarket head units anyway.

All ignition is electronic now anyway; you have a key to make the connection while I press a button...they function no differently on the inside, I promise.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Don't forget about the heated mirrors too!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
SWPinATL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think the previous posts sum it up well but just to throw my 2 cents out there. The limited was the only trim I was considering. Primarily because of the alcantara/ leather seats.

While I didnt think it would be, I think the most impactful option on the limited is the smart key and push button start. I dont remember the last time I took my keys out of my pocket for amything other than getting in the house now!

I much prefer the interior on the limited as well. The center stack with the push button/dual zone controls/touch screen looks great. Overall, the interior on the limited, in my opinion, has the most complete package. I never even considered an frs after I saw the interior. I just did not like it.

I was not planning on building a racecar out of the thing but had something more along the lines of a touring sports car. Comfortable to daily, highly capable for sport. For that, the limited delivers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
dotdotdotPaul

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Keyless entry FTW. I now have three cars where I never have to take a key out of my pocket, and that's life-changing. Heated seats have been helpful on stressful days. And I like the Recaros (although I personally like the ones in my Evo better).

Only downside to the pushbutton start is that my first instinct when stalled is to reach for the key on the steering column (in the Evo, even though it's keyless, the ignition is still a key-like switch there). I find myself stabbing the airconditioning knob instead of the ignition button half the time.

Oh, and the Smartlink rearview means I can open the garage door without the opener, and that means I don't even need to pull out my housekeys when I get home...

...Paul

Last edited by dotdotdotPaul; 08-13-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Smartlink rearview note.
dotdotdotPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
He yelled at you POSSIBLY because what you said was not necessary (even though he asked you for 'keys'). Don't you have a push button trunk release to the left of the steering wheel? It's about 1" X 1 1/4" in size. At least that is what I have in my Premium BRZ. You should have responded to the border officer in a more intelligent manner and just quietly pressed the button. They can usually detect indifference and when in doubt they react. You wasted your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
this is pretty much how i feel about it. well worth it but the keyless system did get me in trouble going through the us/canadian border this past weekend.

Border dude got pissed when he asked me to hand over the keys (he was going to inspect the contents of my trunk) and i told him the car won't turn off if i just hand him the keys he fucking lost his mind and yelled at me for a couple minutes before sending me in for secondary inspection.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The lights were a deal breaker for me. I'm not getting a car in this decade that doesn't have them. Yes, there's more eye strain at night, but the illuminated portion is so much wider and brighter that I don't think you can argue against it. It's blueish if you fuck with the color temp...the OEMs are quite white.

Can't get a BRZ with NAV...so it's a moot point to compare between trims IMO, only when talking about the FR-S. In any case, it's easy enough to replace and plenty of folks do aftermarket head units anyway.

All ignition is electronic now anyway; you have a key to make the connection while I press a button...they function no differently on the inside, I promise.
I'd love to argue about lights, but I'll just say that the halogens in the FRS are almost too bright for my night time driving (read California backroads with zero light and plenty of deer). The OP did mention the FRS so it is valid to compare in this thread, I assume you mean you can't get a BRZ without "NAV", if we start talking about aftermarket head units then he might as well use the $2k he'd save by buying an FRS to get the head unit he really wants and selling the stock one to a disgruntled BeSpoke buyer. And based on your last post I'm tempted to drop my keys in a glass of water and see if it'll still start the car, they've gotten wet already but I wasn't worried, either way I never argued what was mechanically happening in the locking cylinder only user preference.

Some authors still use MS-DOS to write their novels after all.
:happy0180:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Have you tried using the headlight leveling feature to diminish brightness for nighttime driving? I don't know if you have that feature in the FRS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I'd love to argue about lights, but I'll just say that the halogens in the FRS are almost too bright for my night time driving (read California backroads with zero light and plenty of deer). The OP did mention the FRS so it is valid to compare in this thread, I assume you mean you can't get a BRZ without "NAV", if we start talking about aftermarket head units then he might as well use the $2k he'd save by buying an FRS to get the head unit he really wants and selling the stock one to a disgruntled BeSpoke buyer. And based on your last post I'm tempted to drop my keys in a glass of water and see if it'll still start the car, they've gotten wet already but I wasn't worried, either way I never argued what was mechanically happening in the locking cylinder only user preference.

Some authors still use MS-DOS to write their novels after all.
:happy0180:
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hell to the mothaf*cking yeah it's worth it! Break it down to how much addition it would be if you're financing, you'll most likely end up spending more on stupid stuff.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote