follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #15
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yes cool came from a certain culture and then worked it's way into common use. So did the new words. You excuse the old ones because you agree with the culture that developed them not so much just because of the word.
I get what you're saying, but disagree. "Cool" and "hot" have taken on allegorical meanings, whereas "extreme," "running," and "rock" have been diluted to the point where their original meanings are now meaningless. "Cool," as you stated and we all know, means to lower a temperature when used as a verb, or having relatively less heat (be it color, caloric temperature, or energy of any kind) when used as an adjective. "Hot," similarly, means the inverse. Modern usage of those words is still respectful of and refers to their original meanings. I just can't see lip gloss as "extreme" unless maybe it's made out of cut glass and laced with PCP, nor can I accept someone "rocking" a fanny pack unless they're trying to lull it to sleep. It just makes no sense, and distills the original meanings of the words to the point where the words are just sounds.

Sort of like the way folks use most profanity these days... "SH*T" can mean ANYTHING... "F'nin'" is just a noise... means nothing. Ain't that sh*t f'nin' cool? HOT! Like, you feel me?

Such sad.

Like I said, I'm mostly making observations, having fun, and not losin' sleep over any of this. My youngest son (26) and I have had a few conversations about this issue. He doesn't my understand my objection to what he views as the "evolution" of language. Evolution, at least to my understanding, has some connotations of positive progress and benefits; hence, the existence of the term "devulotion" to describe the movement in the opposite direction.

If this is an example of the evolution of the language...

"This is my goal. I have a 2014 Frs. Yep I'm a Toyota Fan. My buddy got a porche 718 s boxer Turbo. 2.5 L 350 HP 309 tq. And Boxer 4 cil. Road and Track talk shit that it sounds like a STI. "Yes Subaru WRX and STI owners be mad" it has s a 12.4 to 12.9. standing Quarter mile and track wise is great too. Got to find that stat.

Got to beat it.. just to prove a point. JSRC can do this with ACE Headers and... well good tires... full blown Turbo is not an option cause live in Cali. Watch the vid folks!! And see what the mean."

.... well... I guess I'm not real interested in joining the evolution.

Again.. just having fun. Just excrement-posting for our mutual amusement, mostly.

Best to all,

Barry
new2subaru (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #16
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-22-2017), MuseChaser (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #17
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
The word that gets me is the new use of the word "sick".

Every time I see it used anymore, I have to do a brain cell conversion.....

I think TPTB intentionally messed with the language via pop culture to screw the newer generation. I mean just check out all the kids these days walking around with their pants down. Another step towards idiocracy.

It's quite obvious man from 100 years ago would have a hard time understanding our current lingo and vice versa. That's why it's quite challenging to design things like warning signage for nuclear waste dumps, just to make sure whoever 100 years from now wouldn't dig it up and use it for tea or something.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I think TPTB intentionally messed with the language via pop culture to screw the newer generation. Another step towards idiocracy.

It's quite obvious man from 100 years ago would have a hard time understanding our current lingo and vice versa. That's why it's quite challenging to design things like warning signage for nuclear waste dumps, just to make sure whoever 100 years from now wouldn't dig it up and use it for tea or something.
100 years .....? ...... hell, 74 years will slip right in ...........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
krayzie (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #19
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I get what you're saying, but disagree. "Cool" and "hot" have taken on allegorical meanings, whereas "extreme," "running," and "rock" have been diluted to the point where their original meanings are now meaningless.
When I point at a rock and say "That's a rock", people still know what I mean ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I get what you're saying, but disagree. "Cool" and "hot" have taken on allegorical meanings, whereas "extreme," "running," and "rock" have been diluted to the point where their original meanings are now meaningless. "Cool," as you stated and we all know, means to lower a temperature when used as a verb, or having relatively less heat (be it color, caloric temperature, or energy of any kind) when used as an adjective. "Hot," similarly, means the inverse. Modern usage of those words is still respectful of and refers to their original meanings. I just can't see lip gloss as "extreme" unless maybe it's made out of cut glass and laced with PCP, nor can I accept someone "rocking" a fanny pack unless they're trying to lull it to sleep. It just makes no sense, and distills the original meanings of the words to the point where the words are just sounds.

Sort of like the way folks use most profanity these days... "SH*T" can mean ANYTHING... "F'nin'" is just a noise... means nothing. Ain't that sh*t f'nin' cool? HOT! Like, you feel me?

Such sad.

Like I said, I'm mostly making observations, having fun, and not losin' sleep over any of this. My youngest son (26) and I have had a few conversations about this issue. He doesn't my understand my objection to what he views as the "evolution" of language. Evolution, at least to my understanding, has some connotations of positive progress and benefits; hence, the existence of the term "devulotion" to describe the movement in the opposite direction.

If this is an example of the evolution of the language...

"This is my goal. I have a 2014 Frs. Yep I'm a Toyota Fan. My buddy got a porche 718 s boxer Turbo. 2.5 L 350 HP 309 tq. And Boxer 4 cil. Road and Track talk shit that it sounds like a STI. "Yes Subaru WRX and STI owners be mad" it has s a 12.4 to 12.9. standing Quarter mile and track wise is great too. Got to find that stat.

Got to beat it.. just to prove a point. JSRC can do this with ACE Headers and... well good tires... full blown Turbo is not an option cause live in Cali. Watch the vid folks!! And see what the mean."

.... well... I guess I'm not real interested in joining the evolution.

Again.. just having fun. Just excrement-posting for our mutual amusement, mostly.

Best to all,

Barry
You are still applying your personal cultural acceptability to the use of words. I have used the term "rocking" something for over 40 years and see not a thing wrong with it even though you have now used it twice as an example of some horrid distortion of the language. In fact just a couple of days ago I said "I would rock that car" in a thread on this very forum. How is it acceptable to you that terms that came to use through jazz are fine but those that came from other sub cultures are all wrong? It is probably more related to your own participation in the Jazz sub culture than anything else.

Slang usually starts with a small group and works it way out so people may use the words without even realizing where they came from.

As I have said here before I have seen a huge change in auto slang over the years. Does anybody under 50 know what I mean when I say mags? To say your car was FI meant a totally different thing back in the early 80s. Once upon a time to have a blown engine was a cool thing unless you blew your engine because it was blown. These terms were all perfectly normal once but mean nothing or something radically different.

Yes grammar, spelling and phrasing on the Internet can get wonky. There can be several reasons for that though and all are not bad. People take short cuts, ESL and many other factors come into play. Hell I have gone back and read some things I have wrote and tried to remember if I was drunk when I wrote them. Even the worst grammar criticisms on here screw up as well on occasion. This is a mixed forum not an advanced English lit class and as long as I can figure out what they mean then all is good.

You keep pointing out that this discussion is just entertainment on your part but seem to think that somehow the others participating have some vested interest. I assure you that I for one am in no way passionate about this an am also just killing time in a quasi intellectual discussion.
Captain Snooze (04-23-2017), MuseChaser (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:21 AM   #21
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Does anybody under 50 know what I mean when I say mags?
Powerlaces alright!!

Oh you mean this...

This thread reminds me of semiotics classes back in school.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Powerlaces alright!!

Oh you mean this...

More like this:
krayzie (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #23
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,589 Times in 18,966 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
When I point at a rock and say "That's a rock", people still know what I mean ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 04-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #24
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
More like this
Actually BBS with a blue center cap means magnesium.

In Japan that would be an SSR / Watanabe rim.

Dam that reminds me of how we didn't even have an FI car till the late 80's cuz we poor. That dam 5 min wait on the warm up lamp and choke with our old carb Honda and Volvo lmao!

Back in a time where the "i" on a badge at the back meant fuel injection.

Last edited by krayzie; 04-23-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:

That was sort of where I was headed. Any wheel that didn't require a hub cap was called a mg once upon a time. Very few mags were actually made of magnesium. Most were just chrome plated steel.
krayzie (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #26
humfrz

Quote:
Dam that reminds me of how we didn't even have an FI car till the late 80's cuz we poor. That dam 5 min wait on the warm up lamp and choke lmao! Back in a time where the "i" on a Honda trim meant fuel injection.
Yep, back starting in the late 50's, and on for several years "FI" was commonly referred to a "fuel injected". Now it usually means "forced induction", although turbochargers were available on some early 1960's cars......

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
krayzie (04-23-2017), Tcoat (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #27
humfrz

Quote:
That was sort of where I was headed. Any wheel that didn't require a hub cap was called a mg once upon a time. Very few mags were actually made of magnesium. Most were just chrome plated steel.
Heck, I wouldn't know, I couldn't afford either one .....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:

Dam that reminds me of how we didn't even have an FI car till the late 80's cuz we poor. That dam 5 min wait on the warm up lamp and choke with our old carb Honda and Volvo lmao!

Back in a time where the "i" on a badge at the back meant fuel injection.
Warm up lamp? You rich bastard. Many of my cars you didn't have to wait for the choke to open. You just thought "that is long enough" and pushed the knob back in.
humfrz (04-23-2017), krayzie (04-23-2017)