follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
rL-gT

Drives: Lexus IS300 / Lexus IS250 AWD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
O hai dappy.
rL-gT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
Geard

Drives: 1988 MK3 Toyota Supra 1jzgte
DD/weekend warrior. Not much snow in bc, just rain... i just hope the back seats are more usable then my supras!
Geard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geard View Post
DD/weekend warrior. Not much snow in bc, just rain... i just hope the back seats are more usable then my supras!
LOL I don't think they will be... as an FT-86/FR-S is about the same size as a Honda S2K.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't know if this has been asked before, but, would a 2+2 insurance be cheaper as opposed to say if the FR-S/FT86 would ONLY have 2 seats?
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldolera View Post
LOL I don't think they will be... as an FT-86/FR-S is about the same size as a Honda S2K.
yes, it is similar to S2K, but it is also similar to AE86 and last gen Celica, which both have the back seats (although small). It all depends on where you place the seats.

Some graphical representation: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
I don't know if this has been asked before, but, would a 2+2 insurance be cheaper as opposed to say if the FR-S/FT86 would ONLY have 2 seats?
2 seater sports car is always expensive to insure, especially to young kids like you guys. 2+2, on the other hand, is some what cheaper. If you want to insure this car as sole driver by the time you have a license, do not be surprise to pay something equal to your car payments monthly for insurance.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #20
MiguelAE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
2 seater sports car is always expensive to insure, especially to young kids like you guys. 2+2, on the other hand, is some what cheaper. If you want to insure this car as sole driver by the time you have a license, do not be surprise to pay something equal to your car payments monthly for insurance.
True, but the car will be under my dad's name (will be 41 at the time and has great driving record) and i will simply be under the insurance as an "occasional/case of emergencies driver" plus i'll be 17 most likely 18 at the time, so, it wont be as bad as you said, but thank you, 2+2 will be somewhat cheaper!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #21
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
yes, it is similar to S2K, but it is also similar to AE86 and last gen Celica, which both have the back seats (although small). It all depends on where you place the seats.

Some graphical representation: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

Yeah, I've seen that. Also, as you said, the seats are there just for cheaper insurance. a 2+0 will cost more to insure, but I'm probably going to rip the seats out when I get the car.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
True, but the car will be under my dad's name (will be 41 at the time and has great driving record) and i will simply be under the insurance as an "occasional/case of emergencies driver" plus i'll be 17 most likely 18 at the time, so, it wont be as bad as you said, but thank you, 2+2 will be somewhat cheaper!
Well.. it would depend on your individual condition on your household. Let's see, even if the car is owned by your Dad, if the number of drivers in your household is the same or less than the number of cars, one of the car will be solely driven by you. Ex, let's say your family has two cars, driven by your parents right now. And your dad gets another one for you when FR-S comes out, and you being the third driver in this household with 3 cars, you cannot be the occasional driver anymore. The insurance company knows that you will be driving the car most of the time, and thus charge you more premium on that.

BTW, being 17 or 18 is no different from being 16. Anyone younger than 25, or has less than 3 to 5 years (I guess) of insurance history (you can have a license but not insure in any car for a period of time) will probably get dinged by the insurance premium.

So I think if it becomes that your dad really like this car and exchange his current ride with this, and so you can drive occasionally (being a 2 cars 3 drivers case), you might be able to save some insurance $$$.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #23
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldolera View Post
Yeah, I've seen that. Also, as you said, the seats are there just for cheaper insurance. a 2+0 will cost more to insure, but I'm probably going to rip the seats out when I get the car.
Actually, I would not buy this car if it is a two seater, not because of insurance reason but practicality issue. Having a rear seat is essential to my situation.

Furthermore, since I think we will get fold down seats (60/40 or 50/50), there is really no reason to pull off the rear seats, unless you want to do a track car only. You know, life is not 10 seconds at a time.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
MiguelAE86

Thanks for the info! PS: my family has 3 cars insured ATM, so it will be the 4th, so I think I can get away with what you said
Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
This car will be my DD. Drove an AE86 through a record setting winter in Ottawa a few years ago with no LSD and old shitty winters. I have never had more fun, or come closer to totaling a car... But I did have to carry a shovel to get myself out of the parking lot at work. I actually got that car stuck once in a flat iced over parking lot. I hadn't put winters on it yet and one wheel was in tiny divot it couldn't break free from. LSD + good winters is key.
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
SCIONMONTREAL

Drives: TC
A good set of winter tires should solve any issues you could have in the Winter dept, it's always a bit annying with RWD to get out of slushy situations but stability control could help coupled to traction control
SCIONMONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote