follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And I think the start button + wiring is lighter than the ignition switch cylinder. Probably why supercars implement it. Also, the weight of your keychain can sag/misalign a traditional key cylinder over time; less moving parts on a button = less things that can break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
Inserting and twisting the key is more efficient than inserting the key and then pushing the button. So I vote traditional.
In the new Prius the key just needs to be somewhere around the cockpit (like inside your pocket) to be detected so the push button can work.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Funny, I was thinking about push button start just yesterday. Never had one, never cared for one. Then I drove a friend's G37 and a relative's 3rd gen Prius a few times this past year. The button grows on you if you've never tried it.

I've only ever bought used cars to save money. They never came with MP3 playback or Bluetooth (both standard in many of today's econo cars) which I want on my next car. Fumbling with my Android phone for GPS is unsafe; I'd opt for an in-dash navi. With this being my first new car purchase, I don't want to cheap out on myself this time around.

The exterior on all 3 concepts look modern. Scion should make the interior follow suit and show relevance to the times.
I'm with you there...my cousin had just gotten a 370Z and I love the interior of it, only problem with the Z is it's out of my price range. The FR-S will be the first car I buy brand new as well and if the production model comes out to look good and the price range stays relatively low towards the lower twenties it's looking like a deal. Otherwise over 25 grand I'll be looking into another vehicle.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #17
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
And I think the start button + wiring is lighter than the ignition switch cylinder. Probably why supercars implement it. Also, the weight of your keychain can sag/misalign a traditional key cylinder over time; less moving parts on a button = less things that can break.

In the new Prius the key just needs to be somewhere around the cockpit (like inside your pocket) to be detected so the push button can work.
Yeah the only time I've seen the key inserted into the ignition for the push start was a S2000, other wise Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, and even Hyundai vehicles now have it where you just need the fob in your pocket. I can see this being an option on the FR-S seeing as how the 7.0 release tC has a engine start button.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Cheap feel? Rattles and squeaks? Never driven a VW Golf/GTI? One of the nicest interiors for $20k.
Hence the "most" I wrote in parentheses. Thought I was clear on that, but I guess it was foolish of me to not expect a counter-statement. And I was only pointing out to Fortunate Few that since Scions and Subarus both are known to have vehicles with rattles and squeaks, it wouldn't be a leap of logic to expect such from the FT.
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryun84 View Post
Hence the "most" I wrote in parentheses. Thought I was clear on that, but I guess it was foolish of me to not expect a counter-statement. And I was only pointing out to Fortunate Few that since Scions and Subarus both are known to have vehicles with rattles and squeaks, it wouldn't be a leap of logic to expect such from the FT.
Nope it wasn't clear. There are plenty of great cars in the mid $20k's without sequeks. My parent's '06 Camry is super quiet as well as my wife's Subaru Legacy. So what is your point again?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
Quote:
As I said, it makes sense if you have keyless start. If you have to insert the key anyway, it's useless fluff.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had always thought the keyless start was to prevent people from stealing your car by hardwiring. Lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #22
ryun84

Quote:
Nope it wasn't clear. There are plenty of great cars in the mid $20k's without sequeks. My parent's '06 Camry is super quiet as well as my wife's Subaru Legacy. So what is your point again?
"Plenty" is not a majority. Also basing this statement on that fact that you, yourself, do not hear any noises does not mean that others share your experience. I'm not going restate the point of my post since I don't believe you genuinely care.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
As I said, it makes sense if you have keyless start. If you have to insert the key anyway, it's useless fluff.
Gotcha. I misinterpreted your "keyless start" literally and thought remote start which is truely keyless (like keyless entry). But we're talking the same thing which requires a key to be physically present, just not plugged in.

But I agree. My cousin's 3.28xi Beamer is plug-in to start. She usually has to explain how to eject the key after people drive it. I figured out how but not without yanking and wiggling things around first.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #24
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryun84 View Post
"Plenty" is not a majority. Also basing this statement on that fact that you, yourself, do not hear any noises does not mean that others share your experience. I'm not going restate the point of my post since I don't believe you genuinely care.
Never said there was a majority but there are enough with nice interiors at this price range. You get what you pay for. Not sure why you are ragging on it before it is even out. I bet you it will surprise you and your expectations.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #25
ryun84

Quote:
Never said there was a majority but there are enough with nice interiors at this price range. You get what you pay for. Not sure why you are ragging on it before it is even out. I bet you it will surprise you and your expectations.
I hope so and I'd place my money with your bet as well.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #26
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I just hopet he cluth pedal doesn't ride so high up like in a 370z I was so surprised of the clutch position compared to the s2000 or the Civic Si or the old Celica. If the clutch is about the same position as the S2000, Im happy. Also I don't mind digital dash at all, but I wouldn't mind the analog with the little blip thing that happens when you start a Lexus ISF.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #27
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I had always thought the keyless start was to prevent people from stealing your car by hardwiring. Lol
http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/01/19...start-systems/

sorry.

Basically, some engineering kids at a Swedish school made a program such that:
1. You get out of your car
2. Thief 1 follows you, has transponder that established communication with the key
3. Thief 2 receives data from thief 1 wirelessly
4. Thief 2 drives away
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #28
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Push button start is not as bad as you say enc0re. The only thing I hate is that if the battery goes dead in the key your SOL.
in the winter my dads key went dead, it has a key inside of the key to open the door and to start the car all you have to do is put the electronic keys face to face with the start button.

( the companies logo should point to the start button) Then put keys in your pocket or w/e u wana do with it and push the start button... WA LAH!
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote