follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #15
Thefear13

Drives: Firestorm FT-86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where is Japan do you live?
Thefear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:27 AM   #16
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefear13 View Post
Where is Japan do you live?
Seya-Ku, Yokohama!
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Futaba For This Useful Post:
Gringosteve (08-01-2016)
Old 08-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #17
Thefear13

Drives: Firestorm FT-86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba View Post
Seya-Ku, Yokohama!
Ah, if you lived closer to Aichi/Mie/Nara, I could of hooked you up with a bad ass shop! They did everything on my S15
Attached Images

Thefear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
After todays drive, I am so up for this you would not believe, i've recorded sections of it here, a lot of route 70 is narrow road that you really cant put your foot down on but the experience is amazing, breathtaking views, (mostly) smooth roads, banked winding turns and plenty of places to stop and take it all in.

Route 70!

I'll be adding some of the footage I snapped, I'd have got more, getting all the way along route 70 to Aikawa took about an hour, but my phone kept overheating mounted in the window recording at 1080p/60fps.
Gives you a good taste of what to expect though!

Would be really fun to do a brz/86 meet in Japan someday and take this route, maybe stop along the river pictured above for a bbq and some relaxation!

Even my wife who isn't super big into cars wants to go back and enjoy it again, loved every minute of it.

I'm really jealous of you. I was in Japan for about a month on student exchange and fell in love with the country and people. During that time my homestay mom took me to a dealership where I got to sit in a GT86 driver seat and I couldn't resist buying one once I got back in USA. Looking at your pictures makes me miss Japan even more, I felt like I left something behind when I had to leave. I traveled from Tokyo going South through Kyoto, Okayama, Hiroshima and then turning back around in Nobeoka. My final stop was Choshi in Chiba.. It has been about three weeks since I left and I still miss it a lot! Or maybe its the Asahi beer that I miss XD

So I can really connect to all of this because I miss it so much and it was there where I made up my mind that I was going to buy an 86.

DUDE 7/11s! The conbinis were a life saver sometimes!

Awesome thread, keep posting more stuff!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
Futaba

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextrueno View Post
I'm really jealous of you. I was in Japan for about a month on student exchange and fell in love with the country and people. During that time my homestay mom took me to a dealership where I got to sit in a GT86 driver seat and I couldn't resist buying one once I got back in USA. Looking at your pictures makes me miss Japan even more, I felt like I left something behind when I had to leave. I traveled from Tokyo going South through Kyoto, Okayama, Hiroshima and then turning back around in Nobeoka. My final stop was Choshi in Chiba.. It has been about three weeks since I left and I still miss it a lot! Or maybe its the Asahi beer that I miss XD

So I can really connect to all of this because I miss it so much and it was there where I made up my mind that I was going to buy an 86.

DUDE 7/11s! The conbinis were a life saver sometimes!

Awesome thread, keep posting more stuff!
Move back and get your FRS/86/BRZ sea freighted here!, wouldn't say no to running a convoy on route 70.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
Move back and get your FRS/86/BRZ sea freighted here!, wouldn't say no to running a convoy on route 70.
hahaha maybe in a few years when I am fully on my own, I still have less than a year of college before I get my BS in electrical engineering. That would be awesome, the roads in Japan are amazing so I would love to join you!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #21
lextrueno

Garage
Oh and what kind of lugs are you using? I didn't think blue lugs with red paint would look good but I like it alot! I've heard Muteki's aren't that bad but I'm not sure.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
Futaba

Garage
Quote:
Oh and what kind of lugs are you using? I didn't think blue lugs with red paint would look good but I like it alot! I've heard Muteki's aren't that bad but I'm not sure.
The lug nuts I'm using are D1 Spec Hexagon Racing nuts, I originally wanted in red, but I could only find blue, turns out it was for the best as I really like the color combo too.

Just a word of warning though, they are amongst the most commonly cloned/faked nuts you can find, and the fake ones are worthless, the anodizing comes off, you cant tighten them down to factory spec without stripping the nuts thread and they are just all round poor quality, the real deal (if you can find them) work just fine, i've had them on and off multiple times to fine tune ride height and fiddle with preload and they're holding up just fine!
Just go off the price if buying aluminium nuts really, if theyre priced more than 20% cheaper than the real manufacturers RRP without a damn good reason (used / not a full set) then theyre likely knock offs.

I bought mine new but incomplete from up garage, was 18 in the pack that meant to have 20, so I bought them anyway and threw a security locking nut on the rears, two birds with one stone so to speak.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #23
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
The lug nuts I'm using are D1 Spec Hexagon Racing nuts, I originally wanted in red, but I could only find blue, turns out it was for the best as I really like the color combo too.

Just a word of warning though, they are amongst the most commonly cloned/faked nuts you can find, and the fake ones are worthless, the anodizing comes off, you cant tighten them down to factory spec without stripping the nuts thread and they are just all round poor quality, the real deal (if you can find them) work just fine, i've had them on and off multiple times to fine tune ride height and fiddle with preload and they're holding up just fine!
Just go off the price if buying aluminium nuts really, if theyre priced more than 20% cheaper than the real manufacturers RRP without a damn good reason (used / not a full set) then theyre likely knock offs.

I bought mine new but incomplete from up garage, was 18 in the pack that meant to have 20, so I bought them anyway and threw a security locking nut on the rears, two birds with one stone so to speak.
Thanks! Alright I will have to look into them, right now I just have stock rims that I plasti-dipped white which look pretty good but I plan on getting some white enkei's at some point.

I also just realized that you are the same person that answered my question on the Valenti Tail light repair thread, Thanks for that too. Really helped me out XD
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #24
Iceman

Nice build! I envy your location for how many parts and stuff you can get for the 86's, lucky guy.

I'm guessing you're an RC enthusiast as well? My previous sentence applies as well in that matter, one of the best places to be.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #25
Futaba

Garage
Quote:
Thanks! Alright I will have to look into them, right now I just have stock rims that I plasti-dipped white which look pretty good but I plan on getting some white enkei's at some point.

I also just realized that you are the same person that answered my question on the Valenti Tail light repair thread, Thanks for that too. Really helped me out XD
No problem!, I was actually considering plasti-dipping my OEM wheels too but ended up stumbling across the Enkei's, and the price changed my mind.
It's weird because I did originally want a set of Kiwami's in white but I tried on a set and it literally put me off the idea of white on red, so i'm not quite sure what happened in between deciding that and driving home with the enkeis in the back of the car, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Nice build! I envy your location for how many parts and stuff you can get for the 86's, lucky guy.

I'm guessing you're an RC enthusiast as well? My previous sentence applies as well in that matter, one of the best places to be.
It's great for parts indeed! but at the same time it's hard to get certain parts unless you're willing to swallow the pill of high shipping cost, I really wanted a ducktail spoiler for example and I cannot find one in Japan anywhere, most sites just show TRD spoilers instead.
Same goes for the smaller stuff, like LCA's, links, rods and such.

As for the RC stuff, yeah just a bit! weird really because I used to be in to them as a kid then lost interest, fast forward 15 years and i'm stood in a Hard-Off store staring up at a shelf with a boxed, unopened and original Tamiya Super Hornet, and it all came flooding back.
Since then my little box of nostalgia has gotten a little out of hand...

The Super Hornet, Madbull and Grasshopper in the second picture aren't even the kits I bought, I can't bring myself to build them or the Lancia Delta, Alfa Romeo or anything else boxed and unused because finding them in that state is so mind blowing considering their age.

Most shocking part in all this is that I haven't spent more than $50 on any one thing, boxed or otherwise, the huge Tamiya NDF-01 nitro car at the bottom of the second picture was brand new and came with a second set of wheels, never been run in it's life, all it needed was a transmitter to use it with, cost me $35.

Japan is awesome for RC and Retro videogames.
Iceman (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #26
Iceman

Quote:
It's great for parts indeed! but at the same time it's hard to get certain parts unless you're willing to swallow the pill of high shipping cost, I really wanted a ducktail spoiler for example and I cannot find one in Japan anywhere, most sites just show TRD spoilers instead.
Same goes for the smaller stuff, like LCA's, links, rods and such.

As for the RC stuff, yeah just a bit! weird really because I used to be in to them as a kid then lost interest, fast forward 15 years and i'm stood in a Hard-Off store staring up at a shelf with a boxed, unopened and original Tamiya Super Hornet, and it all came flooding back.
Since then my little box of nostalgia has gotten a little out of hand...

The Super Hornet, Madbull and Grasshopper in the second picture aren't even the kits I bought, I can't bring myself to build them or the Lancia Delta, Alfa Romeo or anything else boxed and unused because finding them in that state is so mind blowing considering their age.

Most shocking part in all this is that I haven't spent more than $50 on any one thing, boxed or otherwise, the huge Tamiya NDF-01 nitro car at the bottom of the second picture was brand new and came with a second set of wheels, never been run in it's life, all it needed was a transmitter to use it with, cost me $35.

Japan is awesome for RC and Retro videogames.
Seems like a paradise for Vintage RC cars. I really like that stuff, but i just can't (not enough money/space). With all the money that goes into the 86 i can barely justify to myself spending on RC racing anymore.

I am very jealous right now, sir! The Super Hornet and Grasshopper bring back a lot of memories, i would love to have one of those.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 AM   #27
Futaba

Garage
Finally got around to installing my TRD wing, since the OEM spoiler had left a bunch of holes in the back anyway I decided I'd mount it properly and use the TRD bolts, swapped the plastic nuts for metal ones with a nylon washer though, 15 min later and its all installed.

Earlier in the day I was bored and messed about with some rubber spray in matte black, did the center lower half of the bumper, i know a bunch of people have done this but they always seem to just go straight in to the grille and ignore the inner edges, i figured id be a little different with my angles and went up the edges too.

Wanted the middle to be black just to test, its mainly there to avoid or at least minimize damage from stone chips, i'm really happy with the result actually!

Added some white FALKEN decals at the lower rear of the black section of the TRD sideskirts too, will get a shot of these later once my phones charged, just little small white ones, I wanted to try carrying through the color of the rims along the car, looks pretty good in my opinion.
Mr.Impreza (08-30-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #28
Futaba

Garage

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Futaba For This Useful Post:
BWilky (08-19-2015), lextrueno (08-19-2015), Mr.Impreza (08-30-2015)