follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
immortal_suby

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hope their insurance company destroys them for not owning up to the incident. People=shit.
Kotu100 (07-27-2015), uEih (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
JohnBgon

Drives: 2016 BRZ Lim. DGM MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I was going out of town Saturday evening with friends in their car and received a call informing me my car had been hit while parked in front of my dad's house.

The driver smashed into my car, drove across the neighbor's yard, then went on his way. The security cameras aren't high enough resolution to get the license plate.

I had just gotten done restoring the headlights with a low rpm drill/restore kit a few hours earlier.

When I get my 2016 BRZ, I am immediately installing a dash cam...

Last edited by JohnBgon; 07-28-2015 at 07:10 PM.
JohnBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnBgon For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-28-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:40 AM   #17
smotonaga

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Same thing happened to me last Tuesday, someone was backing out of their parking spot and backed into left driver side fender and bumper. I too have a Blackvue DR550 dashcam. License plate is as clear as day
Attached Images

smotonaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 AM   #18
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Same thing happened here, but I do not have a dash cam. That is the next thing I'm getting for my car, as this happened in my apartment and no one left a fucking note... -_-

Luckily most of it buffed out and it just looks like it has tiny chips, but still shitty that it happened.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 AM   #19
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Dashcam is one of the most important purchases you can make these days, with the tendency for people to assume since nobody saw nobody can accuse them, they drive away, it's also a strong protection against insurance fraud when other drivers intentionally cause accidents to claim whiplash/damages, or just walk out into the road and claim you hit them.

id say chase it up, theres no reason why your own premiums should increase as as others have said, the car was parked and you had no control over the impact.

I paid around $600 for one back when they first started coming out, a few months after installing it, i had used footage to protect against a hit and run carpark driver and later an asshole who tried to break in, failed and instead caused $2000 damage to the paintwork with a rock.

Get your insurance company to chase them up and ream them hard, anyone who prangs a parked car and doesnt have the decency to own up to it and leave their contact details deserves to have their insurance premiums skyrocket.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smotonaga View Post
Same thing happened to me last Tuesday, someone was backing out of their parking spot and backed into left driver side fender and bumper. I too have a Blackvue DR550 dashcam. License plate is as clear as day
I have a dash cam also, however, it's only active when I'm driving. What's required to have a dash cam that records when your car is parked without draining the battery?
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #21
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
I have a dash cam also, however, it's only active when I'm driving. What's required to have a dash cam that records when your car is parked without draining the battery?
power magic pro
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
Agent 86 (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
smotonaga

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Power Magic Pro and youll have to connect it to the fusebox, specifically a slot that has constant battery power so itll stay on even when parked.
smotonaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #23
cwpbrz-ji

Drives: BRZ & Forester
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Installing a dual dash cam was second (2nd) on my BRZ to-do list:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=19

… after installing the license plate relocate kit:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12518

Because of past experience I felt overly qualified to pursue this task; however, after two (2) weeks of research, I ended up walking away from it (purchase) due to consumer information overload and general gloom.

To summarize, … I knew exactly what I wanted and discovered it was not available (yet).

The first part of my decision process involved BRZ usage; i.e., how long do I usually drive it and how long do I leave it unattended for parking, where the maximum base figure was plus/minus (+/-) ninety (90) minutes and the average was plus/minus (+/-) sixty (60) minutes.

Next was deciding what I wanted / needed, which turned out to be ‘best parking mode and motion detection’.

When I could not locate what I wanted (without having to install two (2) separate cameras) … and due to frustration, … my first thought was to use two (2) GoPro Hero 4 Session(s), but realized they were probably too tempting, would possibly be stolen; potentially creating more automobile damage.

At this point it is fair to mention I have been building & flying model aircraft, etc. since I was seven (7), am a remote control enthusiast, and have a large collection of small battery cameras.

I selected the “Polaroid Cube” as a temporary BRZ cam (fix) primarily because I can record about ninety (90) minutes of video on one (1) battery charge, … four (4) Cube(s) cost about the same as one (1) GoPro, which give me a total of 6 hours recording time (i use two (2) at a time and replace them when the battery is discharged on longer trips) … and, they worked fine with my experimental model aircraft.

Here is a video of “Cube” automobile usage:

Related Information:

There are three (3) dual dash cams that ultimately caught my attention, which (imo) had the same problem: ‘software’, and believe I am able to say this due to personal experience.

I also know firmware (in the above mentioned cams) is constantly being worked on, will probably be fixed in a short period of time, and that the Cube(s) will eventually be replaced by one of them.

Parking mode with motion detection requires dash cams to be hardwired to the automobile battery through a shut-off device (so the battery will not entirely drain) and personally I am not happy with this because (imo) cars now rely (too much) on computer control (Note … recent software cracks on automobiles in the news).

In order to get around this (for me), I have decided to get a marine battery & battery case, install it in the trunk, which will serve any electronic attachments I install, or have installed, in the BRZ:

https://www.yandex.com/images/search...y%20and%20case

I already have a nice collection battery trickle chargers.

Off Topic, But Related:

I have owned some extremely nice automobiles and have had people back into me, or attempt to back into me at stop signs or stop lights; claiming ‘I hit them and was at fault’.

Fortunately, due to positive police statements, who realized this was a scam (intended by some), my insurance company was never forced to pay for these false claims; however, accumulating and presenting paperwork did take a great deal of time and having video would have made this chore (significantly) easier.

I have also experienced multiple hit & run dents and scratches (not on the BRZ) and mostly by others parking), which I could not cast blame on. I believe a dual dash cam will help rectify this problem.

If one is interested in the “Cube,” Polaroid is coming out with a “Cube+” at the end of August (2015), which has WiFi and allows use of a smart device to look at video in near real time, etc.

In turn, the original “Cube” may end up being offered at a reduced price … and if this turns out to be true, I will probably grab a few more for R/C. Personally, I have no use for WiFi in this camera, but their proposed 1080p / 60fps does interest me.

(fwiw/imo) The “Cube” “Suction Mount” leaves a lot to be desired and will soon be replaced with a slightly altered “Helmet Mount”.

The black “Bumper Case”, which one can purchase or DIY build, will help maintain stealth, if that is a concern.

In regard to newer automobiles, I am not fond of the Cube magnet, which (my guess) appears to also be used as a partial heat sink. Here are some pages on electromagnetic shielding, in case there is interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal

Here is a photo of my temporary (front) install until the dual dash cam I want appears:
Attached Images

cwpbrz-ji is offline   Reply With Quote