follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #253
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got my injector tools

2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #254
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
3d scan?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #255
romin

Drives: BRZ, STI, 535, Tiffin Allegro
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
To recap:

My engine started popping in February.
I brought it to Subaru dealer #1 and they refused to look into the issue.
They said the noise was due to my mods.

I then brought it to Subaru dealer #2 with a video of my cold start popping sound, photos of other bad injectors, and even had the seals preorder so everything was ready to go. They also said there wasn't a problem and told me if I left the car there for a couple weeks maybe they would start it a few times and see if they could reproduce the sound. When I pushed the service adviser more he said it was likely due to my mods and probably wouldn't be covered under warranty. After one more follow up call that ended with the service advisor hanging up on me, I decided to fix the issue via a my own mechanic.

My mechanic pulled the engine apart and found exactly what we expected:

My cylinder #1 injector was so pitted that we couldn't even push a new seal on it using the "special tools". Every attempt resulted in a damaged seal. We ended up putting new seals on injectors #2, #3, and #4 but chose to completely replace injector #1.

From this we learned a few things:

These seals are very hard to replace without damaging them even when using the "special tools".
If you order a new injector they come with factory installed seals.
I therefore believe many of the technicians are damaging the new seals during warranty replacement which later results in another failure.
The "we're ordering you new special improved injectors" trick is just to avoid the manual seal replacement. They can just unwrap and plug them in.
I didn't see any difference in the seal on the ordered injector and the seals provided via Subaru parts.
romin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to romin For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-13-2013), Clipdat (06-13-2013), CSG Mike (06-13-2013), FastLane1000 (06-12-2013), Jeff86 (06-13-2013), Lonewolf (06-13-2013), WillRacer1jz (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #256
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
3d scan?
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Got my injector tools

Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #257
speed6 killah

Drives: mazdaspeed 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This really sucks look like you guys are going through the same problem mazdaspeed platform went through.
For my experience we nail it down to what was causing the problem.
Also have any of you guys try a different seal from a manufacture that have a similar design injector seal like VW,MAZDA,GM,FORD?
speed6 killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #258
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
I don't believe "it is figured out" can honestly be said yet. A culprit has been identified, yes, but the failing part in question I don't believe is a particularly good design. Seal failure for a variety of reasons is entirely possible.
agree. not until it's acknowledged by toyota/subaru and there is a fix which is proven to be working (yep, thinking about the hpfp crickets issue)
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #259
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
It looks like the trend among many of these Subaru dealers is to blame mods without looking into the cause of so many of these issues. Whereas the Scion dealers seem to be handling it a little more professionally and diligently.

Well, if Subaru wants to play that game...it looks like one needs to go back to stock (unless you have a reasonable dealer) when you go get these injector seal/popping noises/other crap looked at under warranty...

Boo Subaru, boo for you....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #260
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx3 View Post
What's interesting about this issue, is the fact that many seals apparently did survive when people doubled the output by going FI (which is only possible with more pressure and with it temperature in the combustion chamber).

Maybe it's simply a manufacturing clearance/fitting issue (the tolerances given to the manufacturer(s) of the seals are not tight enough or the dimensions from seal to seal vary too much in the manufacturing process).
Some seals simply have a looser fitting and those seals are now showing problems, since they can transmit less heat and can move more easily.
I really hope it isn't a head machining tolerance issue. If it is, the cost to Toyota/Subaru to replace cylinder heads would be huge and they would doubtfully ever acknowledge or deal with the issue proactively. Rather they would just keep changing o-rings till the warranty runs out.

I am hoping that the FI guys aren't seeing immediate issues because they are already very cooling/temperature conscience, meaning most have an oil cooler which could be helping the coil packs survive.

But the silence from Toyota and Subaru on the issue domestically is still down right depressing, like it isn't even on their radar and this issue is so much more serious than the little idle/cel issue from last year.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #261
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
It looks like the trend among many of these Subaru dealers is to blame mods without looking into the cause of so many of these issues. Whereas the Scion dealers seem to be handling it a little more professionally and diligently.

Well, if Subaru wants to play that game...it looks like one needs to go back to stock (unless you have a reasonable dealer) when you go get these injector seal/popping noises/other crap looked at under warranty...

I've said this in like 50 threads, but if you want warranty coverage on an issue which is not covered by a specific TSB/recall, Subaru isn't going to cover it for a modded vehicle. 99% of Subaru dealers have zero tolerance for modifications whether they have directly caused a failure or not. They have been through tons of warranty issues with the WRX/STi due to user abuse/mods/etc. they put everything through a very fine toothed comb.

As for the injector seal failure, I hope things get worked out and it is just an ECU tuning issue, but that seems a little fishy to me. There have been issues before however with lean conditions during high-rpm lift, so hopefully changing the mapping in those situations will work.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #262
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
It is figured out. What's wrong with you people? Desperate for something to chat shit about?
The forum THINKS it's figured out. Until it is acknowledged and confirmed, it's still just speculation.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #263
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

It's not a dealer issue. It's a Subaru of America/Tech line issue. The dealers cannot perform warranty work without SoA/tech line's approval/authorization. Otherwise, the dealer is doing the work for free.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #264
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I got my ecu updated too but I believe it has nothing to do with the transient timing but for coolant reading levels or something. My dealer replaced all four injectors and gaskets etc. took a bit of a fight but they did it PM me if you want more info.
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RAWR BRZ For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #265
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It's not a dealer issue. It's a Subaru of America/Tech line issue. The dealers cannot perform warranty work without SoA/tech line's approval/authorization. Otherwise, the dealer is doing the work for free.
Boo for the SOA Tech Line!
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #266
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWR BRZ View Post
I got my ecu updated too but I believe it has nothing to do with the transient timing but for coolant reading levels or something. My dealer replaced all four injectors and gaskets etc. took a bit of a fight but they did it PM me if you want more info.
I really wish our original records were there