follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #25537
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My wife just leaves her's on all the time and lets the auto off turn them off so maybe lots of others do that as well.
Yup. Thats how many people do it

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 01-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #25538
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
All the ricers around town have a light bulb in the rear fog housing tied to their parking lights thinking they are as cool as wearing their pants really low without knowing what it's really meant for.

Annoying as hell under clear conditions especially during bumper to bumper traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
No rear fog lights at all on any cars, or just the FR-S?
Rear fog lights are a good thing, making cars visible from further away; preventing accidents in low visibility conditions.
Also a bad thing, many people don't know they have them, ignore the indicator light on the dash and drive around with the rear fog lights on all the time; annoying the crap out of me.

I use mine to obtain street cred. I turn them on when driving through car culture areas. It's cool because it's illegal. Marks me as a real badass anarchist.
Why does an extra light bother you guys so much? Its not like they are blinding or anything.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Ashikabi (01-16-2017), Dadhawk (01-16-2017), Ultramaroon (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #25539
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Why does an extra light bother you guys so much? Its not like they are blinding or anything.
Exactly, especially during the day you can't hardly see the illumination. Isn't it being lit all the time (thereby drawing attention to the car and improving safety) the"purpose" of it anyways?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #25540
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Because the rear fog light is at least as bright as the brake lamp and it's constantly on, staring right into the eyes of the driver right behind you.

My old Golf's rear foglight was positioned really high where normally the driver side reverse light would be. But I had an European light switch and reprogrammed electronics to match so it functioned properly and I never used it on a clear night cuz that's just retarded.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #25541
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Because the rear fog light is at least as bright as the brake lamp and it's constantly on, staring right into the eyes of the driver right behind you.

My old Golf's rear foglight was positioned really high where normally the driver side reverse light would be. But I had an European light switch and reprogrammed electronics to match so it functioned properly and I never used it on a clear night cuz that's just retarded.
Every fog light I have seen is only as birght as tail lights, not brake lights. Also, fog lights tend to be very close to the ground usually even in the rear. My old Mini was like that and the twins are too. Cant think of a car that I have seen where it is high. Now I'm gonna have to go pay attention to everything looking for one.

Technically these arent even fog lights but auxiliary lights according to thr CA vehicle code at least so there is no criteria for how/when they should be used. Just limits to placement and how many you can have

Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #25542
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Every fog light I have seen is only as birght as tail lights, not brake lights. Also, fog lights tend to be very close to the ground usually even in the rear. My old Mini was like that and the twins are too. Cant think of a car that I have seen where it is high. Now I'm gonna have to go pay attention to everything looking for one.
Not that I was looking for it but I don't think I have ever seen a rear fog light actually turned on on the road. Not sure I have ever seen a rear fog light that was turned off either for that matter.
finch1750 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #25543
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There may be some high end ones with them but I don't know what they would be. All in all I would probably get pulled over if I had this weird light glowing on the back of my car.
Why would it be illegal to have fogs on? Only OK when it is foggy? I like that law!

The Norwegian law (simplified): http://www.vegvesen.no/en/vehicles/F...car/car-lights

"It is not permitted to use a combination of fog lights and dipped headlights.Fog lights may be used as driving lights during daylight hours instead of dipped headlights.
In principle, a combination of fog lights and full-beam headlights may not be used. An exception applies to cornering at a low speeds (10–20 km/h)."

There's so many laws here about minute details of how cars should work that no one really knows what's legal or not.

Quote:
Rear fog lights are blinding at night. They are very strong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2017), Ultramaroon (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #25544
PSi
Banned

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i've seen a led rear fog light on a 370Z Nismo last week and this dude had it strobing non-stop ... it wasn't blindingly bright just flashing annoyingly
Old 01-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #25545
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Yeah, rear fog lights are brighter than brake lights here in Europe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
krayzie (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #25546
PSi
Banned

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, rear fog lights are brighter than brake lights here in Europe.
they are done properly in europe by the manufacturer

pretty much in the states people just throw a led into the housing and splice it to the tail lights..essentially it's an extra tail light/brake light but sits lower on the vehicle's rear
The Following User Says Thank You to PSi For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #25547
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
The Norwegian law (simplified): http://www.vegvesen.no/en/vehicles/F...car/car-lights

"It is not permitted to use a combination of fog lights and dipped headlights.Fog lights may be used as driving lights during daylight hours instead of dipped headlights.
In principle, a combination of fog lights and full-beam headlights may not be used. An exception applies to cornering at a low speeds (10–20 km/h)."

There's so many laws here about minute details of how cars should work that no one really knows what's legal or not.

Rear fog lights are blinding at night. They are very strong.
Im trying to find our law but the website sucks on mobile. Wierd that they seem very different then here. We also cannot have our fogs and high beams on at the same time. The cars actually disable the fogs when you turn you high beams on to ensure compliance.

The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #25548
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSi View Post
i've seen a led rear fog light on a 370Z Nismo last week and this dude had it strobing non-stop ... it wasn't blindingly bright just flashing annoyingly
That would be illegal and very annoying since I would think its a brake light. Here in CA you can have a strobing 3rd/4th brake light but they are very specific with how it can strobe and for how long

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSi View Post
they are done properly in europe by the manufacturer

pretty much in the states people just throw a led into the housing and splice it to the tail lights..essentially it's an extra tail light/brake light but sits lower on the vehicle's rear
Ones installed from factory have a switch. Not many are done from factory though

Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #25549
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
That would be illegal and very annoying since I would think its a brake light. Here in CA you can have a strobing 3rd/4th brake light but they are very specific with how it can strobe and for how long
My 4th strobes 6 times before going solid. I think I set a 10 second cool down so it won't strobe if I press my brake again within 10 secs
Old 01-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #25550
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's all about street cred around here like how the kids these days would leave their motorized spoiler sticking up at all times like it's already broken.

Back in the day the override switch was used to keep the spoiler down instead so the cops wouldn't easily notice that you are speeding in your Corrado or Carrera.
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis