follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
orthojoe

Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #239
chris912

Drives: 2013 Firestorm 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
idk if anyone has seen this because frankly i didn't look through all the posts on this thread, but i found this on youtube for those that wanted a video…

[ame="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXv7UNA7hg"]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXv7UNA7hg[/ame]
chris912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #240
DriftEm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
it looks like pedal dance is rpm sensitive, I had my tuner raise my idle rpm to 950 (got a light weight flywheel and it idles better at 950) and now pedal dance doesn't work
Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #241
200HP

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the pedal dance info

This is very helpful for those of us looking to track/autox the BRZ... thanks to all the contributors!
200HP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 200HP For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-02-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #242
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Pedal dance worked for me yesterday with no problem.. I ended improving my best time by 1 second at Ridge Motorsports Park yesterday but I am not sure if it was the pedal dance or the ST43s or maybe combination of both
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-21-2014), funwheeldrive (03-08-2017), Sleepless (08-21-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #243
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I'm wondering if this will fix my issue on hairpins in the mountains... at WOT on tight turns in 2nd gear the traction light will come on. I can feel it hoping and binding but the car bogs pretty hard when this happens and the last time i did this i thought i was going to have my buddies C6Z crawl straight up my tail pipe. I'm going to test this soon.
ATL BRZ (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #244
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey this isn't exactly the right place to ask this question but I figured since it's a brake thread and u guys were mentioning ebd here I might as well ask here.... Apparently 08+ sti Brembo brakes for this car so long as u drill new holes in the rotors. I was told that sti brakes were heavily front biased vs the stock frs brakes. Also, improving brakes isn't as simple as just spending 7k on big brakes for front and rear. In fact, sometimes it worsen performance but prolongs consistency which isn't so important on a street car or on a car that isn't heavily tracked. Would there be any benefit to upgrading to those brakes or another bbk assuming you already have the tire problem taken care of? (since tires stop the car) this car is also light to it doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort to stop it. Say the car is a dd with several track days every year (10 for example) is there any upgrades available for master cylinders? How would a bbk affect performance with ebd and abs on and with the pedal dance?

For me, there is no glide in pulse and glide :p
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #245
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was also told the sti components were heavier which adds to rotational mass. Correct me if I'm wrong.

??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #246
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
I'm wondering if this will fix my issue on hairpins in the mountains... at WOT on tight turns in 2nd gear the traction light will come on. I can feel it hoping and binding but the car bogs pretty hard when this happens and the last time i did this i thought i was going to have my buddies C6Z crawl straight up my tail pipe. I'm going to test this soon.
It sure will. So will an LSD :p
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #247
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
Hey this isn't exactly the right place to ask this question but I figured since it's a brake thread and u guys were mentioning ebd here I might as well ask here.... Apparently 08+ sti Brembo brakes for this car so long as u drill new holes in the rotors. I was told that sti brakes were heavily front biased vs the stock frs brakes. Also, improving brakes isn't as simple as just spending 7k on big brakes for front and rear. In fact, sometimes it worsen performance but prolongs consistency which isn't so important on a street car or on a car that isn't heavily tracked. Would there be any benefit to upgrading to those brakes or another bbk assuming you already have the tire problem taken care of? (since tires stop the car) this car is also light to it doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort to stop it. Say the car is a dd with several track days every year (10 for example) is there any upgrades available for master cylinders? How would a bbk affect performance with ebd and abs on and with the pedal dance?

No effect. No upgrades that are plug and play for master cylinders.

Chances are, if you gotta ask about it, you don't need a larger master.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #248
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It sure will. So will an LSD :p
The stock LSD on this thing seems pretty tight. i get some pretty loud tire chatter driving around normally.
CSG Mike (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #249
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
The stock LSD on this thing seems pretty tight. i get some pretty loud tire chatter driving around normally.
That it is, but it's still a torsen, so if you're spinning one wheel under corner exit or over rough surfaces, then you're not accelerating the way you should.

The computer, without the pedal dance, also functions as an e-diff, so it's braking the wheel that is spinning to help the torsen function, which is the blinking traction light you see. If you spin the inner wheel without the pedal dance, then the solution is the LSD. If the computer is being overly conservative (which is can be at times), then the pedal dance is the solution.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #250
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
That it is, but it's still a torsen, so if you're spinning one wheel under corner exit or over rough surfaces, then you're not accelerating the way you should.

The computer, without the pedal dance, also functions as an e-diff, so it's braking the wheel that is spinning to help the torsen function, which is the blinking traction light you see. If you spin the inner wheel without the pedal dance, then the solution is the LSD. If the computer is being overly conservative (which is can be at times), then the pedal dance is the solution.
correct me if i'm wrong

with the pedal dance (ebd disabled), when the torsen begins to be defeated (inner wheel spins), it (ebd) will not interfere and your car will enter into a state of having an"open diff"

this, however, in your opinion, is a better state than having ebd interfere

y/n
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #251
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
correct me if i'm wrong

with the pedal dance (ebd disabled), when the torsen begins to be defeated (inner wheel spins), it (ebd) will not interfere and your car will enter into a state of having an"open diff"

this, however, in your opinion, is a better state than having ebd interfere

y/n
Trail braking is more important to me, since the only time the e-diff kicks in is over high speed (120+mph) corners where it actually destabilizes the car. The E-diff, to me, is unpredictable, because the computer is interpreting my input into what it thinks i want, instead of giving me what I actually want. This may vary, as I know the diff will be open in some cases, and am giving the car input to accommodate that.

Simple answer is yes, I'd rather lose EBD and not have the e-diff, since neither are things I want. It's the same reason I find the C7 vette unpredictable with the e-diff.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #252
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Trail braking is more important to me, since the only time the e-diff kicks in is over high speed (120+mph) corners where it actually destabilizes the car

well, I do get the blinking traction light on an overly dusty and "tight" autocross.

180* hairpins will almost universally cause the light to go on

and after reading the previous few posts I've started to wonder if I too feel like the car "bogs", just a little, in those situations.

I really should try to disable it... lol , with the proximity of light posts and curbs the possibility of icemode is a little freaky to me, much scarier than just sliding off into the grass on a track.
BRZ21 (09-02-2014)