follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: What oil
Mobil 1 113 41.70%
Castrol Syntec 38 14.02%
Valvoline Synpower 6 2.21%
Quaker state/ Q horsepower 5 1.85%
Penzoil Platinum 17 6.27%
Royal purple 28 10.33%
Eneos 5 1.85%
TRD oil (dont know if still available) 6 2.21%
Castrol "think with your dipstick jimmy" Edge 10 3.69%
..... motorcraft?....... 2 0.74%
Other. please specify 60 22.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #239
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
TOTAL all day
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #240
firebug451

Drives: 2003 Mazda Miata, 2001 VW Passat
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So what oil do the cars come with? If not synthetic, when do we change over?
firebug451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #241
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
There were a number of reports of WRX/STI blown engines using Mobil 1 normal 5W-30 synthetic on NASIOC.com. The story is that M1 5W-30 is really thin for 30 oil and shears quickly under conditions in those engines. There are other 5W-30 synthetics that M1 makes that are better (for instance the High-Mileage synthetic), but that particular 5W-30 caught a bad rep.
Yep. To be fair though, certain Mobil 1 oils are fine on STIs. Specifically, Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is BMW LL-01 rated and its 40/100 viscosities and HTHS properties are excellent. Plenty of UOAs of STIs with that oil have come back great. Also Mobil 1 5w-30 HM oil is ok too, as you brought up.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #242
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Your right. The only reason I run M1 instead of Supertech in my track car is to feel a bit less guilty about running her hard. The UOAs (Used Oil Analysis) in the BITOG data base shows almost no performance difference between M1 & ST. That is the site where the oil fiends hang, and you can learn more about oil there then you ever cared to know. I run ST in my trucks @ 7500 mile OCI (Oil Change Intervals), and go to 5000 mile OCI for track or offroad. The only thing I think may be different between the 2 oils is that M1 seems to clean out the varnish in a motor thats been run on dino better, but that's a subjective observation.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phm14 For This Useful Post:
RRnold (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #243
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug451 View Post
So what oil do the cars come with? If not synthetic, when do we change over?
I'll follow the manual for break in, and run what's in the car, then I'll find a synthetic the car "likes" after break-in. There's no substitute for getting UOAs to find out exactly what's in your oil for a given OCI and making adjustments as needed. For example, I've found increased silicates after extensive off-road use that indicated a shorter OCI would be of benefit under those conditions. No surprise there, but how and where you drive your car does affect your oil. I've used Blackstone for testing, and they were very good about discussing results and answering specific questions about reports. Once you have a few samples tested, your GTG for your oil type/viscosity/OCI. I think it's money well spent, more so than too short OCIs and/or overpriced oils. Test that expensive euro oil against Supertech in your street car, and you may not be so impressed with the cost difference. In the long run, it can save you money on oil and engine wear. Most of us are fine just following general guidelines, and there's tons of data on BITOG for specific cars. It's when your doing something "different" with the car - off-road, track, racing, running expensive lubes, etc., that UOAs have the most value.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #244
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Amsoil is a PITA to get and they make people jump through hoops. A friend of mine is a distributor for Amsoil. But they won't even deliver their own product. He has to go to their warehouse and pick it up. So he's never sold a single quart of Amsoil. Screw that.

Mobil 1 is out because Subaru engines just don't like the stuff. Not going to even risk it since there are other choices.

Penzoil Platinum has a great reputation on BobIsTheOilGuy.com. So for the BRZ, it'll likely get that with a Purolator PureONE filter (99.9% filtration).

Redline has some of the highest HTHS ratings for US oil. So the STI gets that. For now I use the PureONE filters on the STI, but I'm considering switching to Canton oil filters for their high flow and 8 micron filtration.
My dad runs runs the Pennzoil Ultra Hyper Synthetic 5W-30 in his 2011 WRX, and he did a lot of research, and swears by it, he said he gained a few mpg in mileage. Here is the website fyi, and I will run this in my FR-S for sure.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pe...synthetic-oil/

As far as interval goes, I'll do every 5K.

I used to run Amsoil in my old STi, my brother has a 400 HP STi, he runs Ams oil, I used to run Redline oil/tranny fluid in my 00Si, worked great.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, but yeah take all this oil theory with a grain of salt.

and just a sidenote if you actually looked at the website, the Pennzoil Ultra Euro is "the only motor oil exclusively recommended by Ferrari of North America" (since I guess it meets the specs of a lot of high end exotic European cars) The Japanese cars seem to love the Ultra Hyper Synthetic blend for some reason though lol
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #245
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
AMSOIL all the way!!! I have enjoyed royal purple, mobil 1, and castrol in the past but all in all I like AMSOILS the best. plus there test results are very convincing as well
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ESBjiujitsu For This Useful Post:
Joe@Amsoil (05-07-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #246
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
I don't think an engine like this will be that harsh on oil compared to, say a F/I motor like the wrx motors... However I do think a good synthetic paired with a good OCI will serve these engines well.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #247
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Stick with the factory oil/filter until the car is out of warranty, unless you plan on modding the crap out of it and not caring about the warranty anyway.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #248
Trojan_SC

Drives: '14 Monogram FR-S(RIP)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Amsoil! My FJ has all Amsoil fluids, engine oil, ATF, both diffs, x-case and It runs great. My GSX-R750 has amsoil engine oil too. I figure this FR-S will get some as well.
Trojan_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan_SC For This Useful Post:
Joe@Amsoil (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #249
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Motul or amsoil for me oem spec equivalent, trd oil filter.
Joe@Amsoil (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #250
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
Amsoil! My FJ has all Amsoil fluids, engine oil, ATF, both diffs, x-case and It runs great. My GSX-R750 has amsoil engine oil too. I figure this FR-S will get some as well.
yeah im running the same diff/trans/motor oil all amsoil in my mazdaspeed6, and I see myself doing the same with the FRS. Smooth engine, smooth shifts and thats in a 100,000 plus mile car that i have personally beat on for 60,000 of those miles and I buy my cars to drive them !
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #251
Droopy
FWES racer, R FT drifter

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Soon to be FR-S
Im going Royal Purple for all the fluids, we've ran them in our dirt track cars, preform great, Im also gonna run a WIX oil filter if i can get the right one
Droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #252
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
My dad runs runs the Pennzoil Ultra Hyper Synthetic 5W-30 in his 2011 WRX, and he did a lot of research, and swears by it, he said he gained a few mpg in mileage. Here is the website fyi, and I will run this in my FR-S for sure.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pe...synthetic-oil/

As far as interval goes, I'll do every 5K.

I used to run Amsoil in my old STi, my brother has a 400 HP STi, he runs Ams oil, I used to run Redline oil/tranny fluid in my 00Si, worked great.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, but yeah take all this oil theory with a grain of salt.

and just a sidenote if you actually looked at the website, the Pennzoil Ultra Euro is "the only motor oil exclusively recommended by Ferrari of North America" (since I guess it meets the specs of a lot of high end exotic European cars) The Japanese cars seem to love the Ultra Hyper Synthetic blend for some reason though lol
But they don't make it in 0W-20. I just recently switched to Ultra 10W-30 and it's a thicker oil than the Mobil 1 and you can feel it. Probably does a better job of protecting/cleaning the engine but I think I'll go back to Mobil 1 next time. It's $1 cheaper and seems to perform a little better in high RPMs for that viscosity.