follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2016, 03:16 AM   #2325
muckypuppy

Drives: MY13 SWP BRZ Cosworth 2.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Has anyone considered a 5x100 to 5x114 conversion to WRX STI wheels to run a (245/35/18) setup? The 18" WRX 15 spoke wheels are commercially available through Subaru parts stores in the states and at a fair price.

With the addition of my Harrop Supercharger I feel that my existing JDM 225/40/18 may not cut it in terms of traction. Anyone have thoughts?
I'm running the JDM wheels with 225/40R18 Michelin PS2's with my Cosworth supercharger and haven't experienced many issues with traction. Mines running around 170 rwkw at .5 bar on 98. If you are going to go with the small pulley kit that Harrop offers then I would think you would need wider tyres, but in its standard form you may be fine with a decent set of street tyres. In comparison I have a friend who is running cheap 265 semi slicks on his N/A BRZ and he's always complaining about traction issues. Theres been some guys locally who have looked at hub conversions to run 114.3 wheels but have ended up running into problems and have had to resort to spacers which are illegal here . My advice would be to wait until the Harrop is fitted and see if you run into issues. Also, if you haven't already fitted the tS uprated axles, I would recommend them strongly. I found a lot of flex with the stock ones and once I changed to the thicker ones power delivery to the ground was heaps better and stopped a lot of fishtailing on the highway on ramps under heavy acceleration. Congrats on the Harrop system by the way !

Last edited by muckypuppy; 08-09-2016 at 07:36 PM.
muckypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muckypuppy For This Useful Post:
krayzie (08-07-2016), kuczynskika (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:25 AM   #2326
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypuppy View Post
I'm running the JDM wheels with 225/40R18 Michelin PS2's with my Cosworth supercharger and haven't experienced many issues with traction. Mines running around 170 rwkw at 5psi on 98. If you are going to go with the small pulley kit that Harrop offers then I would think you would need wider tyres, but in its standard form you may be fine with a decent set of street tyres. In comparison I have a friend who is running cheap 265 semi slicks on his N/A BRZ and he's always complaining about traction issues. Theres been some guys locally who have looked at hub conversions to run 114.3 wheels but have ended up running into problems and have had to resort to spacers which are illegal here . My advice would be to wait until the Harrop is fitted and see if you run into issues. Also, if you haven't already fitted the tS uprated axles, I would recommend them strongly. I found a lot of flex with the stock ones and once I changed to the thicker ones power delivery to the ground was heaps better and stopped a lot of fishtailing on the highway on ramps under heavy acceleration. Congrats on the Harrop system by the way !

Excellent feedback. Thank you. You have the right idea when it comes to your build.

If I did the conversion I'd ultimately change the hub and change out my rotors and everything, but the conversion spacers (while not long term optimal) still seem like a decent fix.

Your point about the axles is a good one too. Any chance you know what they are rated at in terms of torque and power?

Thanks! I'm anxious to finally go FI and join the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #2327
muckypuppy

Quote:
Excellent feedback. Thank you. You have the right idea when it comes to your build.

If I did the conversion I'd ultimately change the hub and change out my rotors and everything, but the conversion spacers (while not long term optimal) still seem like a decent fix.

Your point about the axles is a good one too. Any chance you know what they are rated at in terms of torque and power?

Thanks! I'm anxious to finally go FI and join the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, I have no idea what power levels they are capable of handling, but the lack of flex does help with keeping the rear tyres on the ground under heavy load. If Cosworth ever release a pulley kit and internals than I will most likely be looking at a hub conversion as well. I think Hardrace had hub conversions available but have since been discontinued so I am not sure what other options are available in the market at the moment, so if you do go down this route I will be very interested in seeing how you go about it .
Old 08-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #2328
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For those inquiring about the BRZ STI TS gauge/instrument cluster:

The problem with the BRZ STI TS (JDM) cluster is that it ONLY reads/displays in KM/H (the speedo and the LED/LCD display).

You can swap the BRZ STI TS gauge face and needles to your old (USDM) cluster. This means you get to keep your vehicle mileage without having to go to the dealer. When you swap to your cluster - you still retain the MPH reading on the LCD/LED display.

NOTE: When you swap the faces the STI numbers/letters no longer show in white - the stock USDM cluster has red LEDs, so it eliminates the white. For me, this is perfect as I prefer a red display at night, rather than a white/red as the STI has
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axelthrasher For This Useful Post:
Ethereal05 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #2329
Ethereal05

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
For those inquiring about the BRZ STI TS gauge/instrument cluster:

The problem with the BRZ STI TS (JDM) cluster is that it ONLY reads/displays in KM/H (the speedo and the LED/LCD display).

You can swap the BRZ STI TS gauge face and needles to your old (USDM) cluster. This means you get to keep your vehicle mileage without having to go to the dealer. When you swap to your cluster - you still retain the MPH reading on the LCD/LED display.

NOTE: When you swap the faces the STI numbers/letters no longer show in white - the stock USDM cluster has red LEDs, so it eliminates the white. For me, this is perfect as I prefer a red display at night, rather than a white/red as the STI has
If only we could buy just the STI face...thanks for the heads up though!
Ethereal05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #2330
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Fujitsubo is one if the most well known and respected Japanese manufacturers of exhaust systems. It's the one and only thing they do. As such, they are also the manufacturers of many race and OE systems. They are the suppliers of the gazoo racing 86, GRMN, and super taikyu endurance cars for the 86. They are also the ones who manufacture the JDM STi axle back.
I had a Fujitsubo cat back on my RSX, sounded deep, smooth and none of that fart can sound, even after I added a catless header, it was still a sweet sound and I love it.

I bought the Fujitsubo around 2003 and today still looks like the day I bought it even after spending over 10 years in the midwest where it was daily driven in the winter and our salted roads. Now my brother bought a Greddy catback around 2010, it's showing surface rust spots and definitely does not look like what it did when I helped him install it.

I have similar expectations from my STi axle back, that in 10+ years it'll still look like it does today. Had I not gotten the STi axle back, I would've gone with Fujistubo again, thats how much I respect and love their stuff.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (08-08-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #2331
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypuppy View Post
Also, if you haven't already fitted the tS uprated axles, I would recommend them strongly. I found a lot of flex with the stock ones and once I changed to the thicker ones power delivery to the ground was heaps better and stopped a lot of fishtailing on the highway on ramps under heavy acceleration.
Was this after installing the supercharger or even with stock engine?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #2332
muckypuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Was this after installing the supercharger or even with stock engine?
They came a few weeks after the supercharger and were one of the last STi/ MY13tS catalogue parts to go on mine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muckypuppy For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (08-09-2016), SPCorBUST (08-09-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #2333
kuczynskika

Garage
Ever wish you could keep the tS look and run significantly larger tires? Well, here's how! 18x7.5 ------> 18x8.5! See more details here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-11-2016), Kenny_LongWrench (08-11-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #2334
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ever wish you could keep the tS look and run significantly larger tires? Well, here's how! 18x7.5 ------> 18x8.5! See more details here.

I was selling my set + PSS for cheap a couple months ago 😔

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #2335
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
I was selling my set + PSS for cheap a couple months ago 😔
You mean the ones off your WRX? I'm surprised you haven't discussed moving them over to your BRZ. What are your thoughts on this?

After receiving the wheels and taking measurements of the differences between the two I am anxious to see how they will look when I get them mounted next weekend.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:58 AM   #2336
nikitopo

I changed yesterday the steering bolts. Front and rear bolts are all changed now to tS specs. Car is dialed more than ever and a bit shame that didn't come like this in stock form. Draw stiffeners will be probably the next and final(?) step. I am also thinking about the suspension. It annoys me the occasional rear bottoming of the stock (2015) suspension, which seems a bit of cheap design. However, I am not sure if this justifies the high cost of the Bilstein tS suspension.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
kuczynskika (08-19-2016), Trap63 (08-19-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #2337
nikitopo

Anyone changed the front stabilizer bushings? They were used in the BRZ tS:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (11-20-2016), Trap63 (11-17-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #2338
nikitopo

A nice (English) description of two parts used in the tS car. Sometimes we are lost with the Japanese translations ...

"The Flexible Draw Stiffener (Front) fits between the cross member and body, applying moderate tension to compensate for the strain of the chassis while travelling. It also increases cornering stability, enhancing contact between road and wheels, providing a gentle sense of quick steering. Fitted together with the Flexible Tower Bar, you will be rewarded with a sturdier, yet supple driving experience."

"The Flexible Tower Bar stiffens the strut towers whilst improving lateral rigidity. This enhances steering response and cornering performance, and also commits to maintaining the front-end geometry settings of the car."

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!