follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #2255
Bluman

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After spending the last couple months browsing every FI system thread I could find and finally reading every single post in this one... I spent all my motorcycle money on the Edelbrock kit. I've owned almost exclusively sports cars since college but I'd never modified any of them until my TRD exhaust went on about two weeks ago. So, right now this project is more interesting than getting a bike.

I ordered the kit through JEGS in Columbus, OH and should be able to pick it up some time next week. I was going to ask if anybody thought I could fit the box in my FR-S but from what I can see of it in pictures and YouTube videos, I think I'll just take the truck. The only place I could find box dimensions was on Amazon and 34"x27"x18" likely won't fit anywhere in an FR-S.

I'll be doing the install myself. I only have limited car wrenching experience but how hard can it be? I read the instructions three times already and will have a senior master mechanic watching over my shoulder. So I should be safe from doing anything profoundly stupid. Right?

Also, first post!
Bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluman For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-08-2017), PR138 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #2256
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Really? When you go to sell the car eventually you will get more money for it reverting to stock and selling the Edelbrock kit separately.

I'm sure you won't have any problem selling it if you decide to though.
Yeah not my first rodeo in selling modified cars. A great argument you make....but in this case I have no plans to ever go back to stock. Some of my car deals have worked out great, others I lost money...but that's the cost of doing business. I have no illusions at all with my purchases and money spent.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #2257
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluman View Post
After spending the last couple months browsing every FI system thread I could find and finally reading every single post in this one... I spent all my motorcycle money on the Edelbrock kit. I've owned almost exclusively sports cars since college but I'd never modified any of them until my TRD exhaust went on about two weeks ago. So, right now this project is more interesting than getting a bike.

I ordered the kit through JEGS in Columbus, OH and should be able to pick it up some time next week. I was going to ask if anybody thought I could fit the box in my FR-S but from what I can see of it in pictures and YouTube videos, I think I'll just take the truck. The only place I could find box dimensions was on Amazon and 34"x27"x18" likely won't fit anywhere in an FR-S.

I'll be doing the install myself. I only have limited car wrenching experience but how hard can it be? I read the instructions three times already and will have a senior master mechanic watching over my shoulder. So I should be safe from doing anything profoundly stupid. Right?

Also, first post!

Congrats.

Short answer...take the truck.

And good for you on the personal install. Read all steps carefully, fully understand what your looking at, and ATTENTION TO DETAIL. That's all you need. This was my first FI install by myself, and I did the whole thing on my own with the exception of actually dropping the SC into the car. And, I had CSG only an email/call away if I needed anything. I have had mine installed for 2 days and the kit really compliments the car.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #2258
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Passing smog =/= CARB legal. There's a distinction there.
Wait, so the Edelbrock kit on the car with no other mods will fail smog?

What is the point of something being CARB legal then if it runs to dirty to smog?

Am I missing something?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #2259
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Wait, so the Edelbrock kit on the car with no other mods will fail smog?

What is the point of something being CARB legal then if it runs to dirty to smog?

Am I missing something?
I think he's saying you can pass smog even with components that are not CARB legal. Example: When I had an MR2 Spyder, it passed the CA smog test every time with the stock heatshield shrouding a TRD Japan header. (worthwhile mod since the pre-cat material in the stock header was notorious for deteriorating with pieces falling into the engine causing catastrophic engine failures at an unacceptable rate)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 AM   #2260
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshown View Post
THIS. We are still having issues with the jerkiness on our kit and the owner of the car is not happy about it. I'm so glad it's not just us so if you could send some logs to Edelbrock that would help. The kit is way too nice fit and finish to drive like it does. We don't have emissions testing and we would gladly revert back to a non CARB tune but EB wouldn't send it to me.
I already ordered and have both the Delicious and Moto-East tune on the way. Waiting for them to send the files over to me and I will be testing both, hoping one of the tunes will work miracles and make the kit drive as well as it looks.

I'll be doing an in depth full review as well as a dyno test with all 3 tunes, Delicious, Moto-East and Edelbrock CARB. Stay TUNED.
Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dan37BRZ For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-09-2017), CSG Mike (05-09-2017), gtengr (05-09-2017), paiceyfan (05-09-2017), PR138 (05-12-2017), Yoda (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #2261
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I think he's saying you can pass smog even with components that are not CARB legal. Example: When I had an MR2 Spyder, it passed the CA smog test every time with the stock heatshield shrouding a TRD Japan header. (worthwhile mod since the pre-cat material in the stock header was notorious for deteriorating with pieces falling into the engine causing catastrophic engine failures at an unacceptable rate)
the pre-cat material fell backwards into the engine?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #2262
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
the pre-cat material fell backwards into the engine?
Yes, valve overlap causes this.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #2263
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
Yes, valve overlap causes this.
Wow, and ouch!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #2264
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Alright guys so Zach from Delicious tuning sent me my Stage 1 Edelbrock S/C file today.

Went ahead and loaded it up, let the car idle for 10 minutes and took it for a test drive. My initial impressions are compared to the CARB tune from Edelbrock.

Impressions:
Right from the start the car felt IMMEDIATELY smoother on the Delicious tune, I took it around my block doing low speed 20-30mph cruising, giving it partial throttle. This same situation would have played havoc on the car with the CARB tune. (Surging, jerky acceleration)

On the Delicious tune it was smooth, butter smooth! Felt like stock, just with more power from the S/C. My first partial throttle I literally yelled, "NO WAY" in excitement. Then proceeded to giggle like a school girl. Next test, took it on the freeway on ramp, gave it part throttle @ 2.5K RPMS and let the RPMs climb. Again, smooth ramp up with no stuttering, jerky or surging feeling.

I have yet to give it full throttle, waiting to send my first log to Zach for review. Driving around town the throttle response also seemed more immediate and improved, I gave it the quick 15 pedal stab before starting the first time to help the ECU learn quicker btw.

So far, after experiencing the Delicious Stage 1 Edelbrock tune for just about half an hour, I don't see how the Edelbrock CARB tune could be released in its current form. Edelbrock definitely needs to have Delicious make a CARB tune for them.

Anyways, I am not paid for this review, I spent my $400 just like everyone else and it was money very well spent to make this kit behave like it should! Very nice Delicious. Great Job.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dan37BRZ For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-10-2017), brzaapi (05-10-2017), funwheeldrive (05-10-2017), Lonewolf (05-09-2017), paiceyfan (05-09-2017), PR138 (05-12-2017), shiumai (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #2265
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37BRZ View Post
So far, after experiencing the Delicious Stage 1 Edelbrock tune for just about half an hour, I don't see how the Edelbrock CARB tune could be released in its current form. Edelbrock definitely needs to have Delicious make a CARB tune for them.
When you log with the CARB tune, is there anything that stands out that may be the cause of the hesitation?
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #2266
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Since I finished my install this weekend, I have also been working with Zach@DT on some revisions. I started off with one of their tunes, no CARB here. As always they are quick to deliver. I think this is my 4th car now in dealing with them, maybe 3rd...I don't know I gotta quit buying cars.

But, my car ran smooth from day one. But after giving test rides to friends and performing several WOT runs I noticed that right around 7k at WOT, my CEL would blink but not stay on. I was informed that this was a misfire, but apparently not bad enough to trip a code. This didn't always happen, in fact only twice during a dozen or so test rides. I couldn't feel anything wrong, but I informed Zach. This is essentially a FnG tune, so they offer revisions to fine tune the......well, Tune.

So far he has sent back 2 more updated tunes for my car. Apparently they saw things in the logs that needed to be adjusted. (that I couldn't feel) After the car has time to adjust, It only keeps running smoother and charging hard to redline. I have said it before, but I can't recommend DT enough.

I have dealt with a local Cobb Store, not a dealer, and actual Cobb owned shop (though they just sold all 3 locations, they now only make parts). Obviously working with them(Cobb) in person is a great experience. But with a lot of my projects they are not an option, and I have to resort to e-tuning and revisions. And I have had good experiences with most e-tuners, and not so good with others. But DT is so good with the tunes and the service (thanks Zach) that its like they are a local shop to me. I have dealt with shops on both coast, in the south and up north (U.S. that is) and DT is my go to choice right now. So get your EBSC running right one way or another with a good tune, but I recommend Bill and Zach and whoever else is apart of the team at DT.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited by brzaapi; 05-10-2017 at 07:34 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
Dan37BRZ (05-10-2017), paiceyfan (05-10-2017), Yoda (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #2267
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Just wanted to say Zach from Delicious tuning is amazing, got my car done in 3 revisions and it seemed like it pulled stronger with every new file. All done in 1 day! Car runs 10/10.

Those of you who are still running the CARB tune, spend the $400 and get the Delicious Tune. It absolutely is worth every penny, seriously.

To celebrate my final revision from Delicious tuning and how awesome the car drives now, I decided to bling out my supercharger a bit.

Last edited by Dan37BRZ; 05-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dan37BRZ For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (05-10-2017), BirdTRD (05-11-2017), djenousis (05-14-2017), itsibarra (05-11-2017), johan (05-11-2017), menikmati (05-12-2017), new2subaru (05-11-2017), paiceyfan (05-10-2017), PR138 (05-12-2017), shiumai (05-12-2017), Yoda (05-10-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #2268
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Given the number of people that have had trouble with the gaskets on the bottom of the supercharger when doing the install, it looks like there is a seam where the legs come off the body. Would it be better to unbolt the legs, get them in place with the intake bolts loosely on and then lower the body to the legs with new gaskets there?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote