follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #2185
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You're faster than you think

I'd say step up to a W5/Club Racer/XP10 next.
Here's some footage to review/comment/critique for all the folks who can't go to the track now because it's too cold in your part of the country.

This is the first track day with the e85 tune, muffler delete, crash bolts for camber, and the WinMax W3 pads (which I glazed by the end of the day somehow). Still on stock suspension other than the camber bolts. Michelin PSS 225/45 on Enkei PF01 17x8.

Automagic transmission

I picked a few laps from each session that were close to my reference lap of 1:17.3.

I'll apologize for the quality of the audio, but not for my music selection.

First session:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Wc_9ZMUm9jw[/ame]

Second session was cut short due to an off (not me). I'll post that footage later and ask for everyone's feedback though since it was another FRS and was directly in front of me.

Third session:

[ame]http://youtu.be/FXyjJJCQ-Bo[/ame]

Fourth session:

[ame]http://youtu.be/M_-985LuNCg[/ame]

Fifth session:

[ame]http://youtu.be/JoxkbNYQOb4[/ame]

My phone missed several laps from each session, and it didn't pick up any laps from the last session.

I always look forward to constructive criticism! thanks guys!
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 AM   #2186
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post
Here's some footage to review/comment/critique for all the folks who can't go to the track now because it's too cold in your part of the country.

This is the first track day with the e85 tune, muffler delete, crash bolts for camber, and the WinMax W3 pads (which I glazed by the end of the day somehow). Still on stock suspension other than the camber bolts. Michelin PSS 225/45 on Enkei PF01 17x8.

Automagic transmission

I picked a few laps from each session that were close to my reference lap of 1:17.3.

I'll apologize for the quality of the audio, but not for my music selection.

First session:

Second session was cut short due to an off (not me). I'll post that footage later and ask for everyone's feedback though since it was another FRS and was directly in front of me.

Third session:

Fourth session:

Fifth session:

My phone missed several laps from each session, and it didn't pick up any laps from the last session.

I always look forward to constructive criticism! thanks guys!
So first thing, the natural noises around you on a race track can give you alot of information. You likely will gain a good chunk more information if you turn your radio off.

I didn't watch all of your videos but a couple of items I did notice:

Not sure what was up with following that Porsche, but at one point you start wobbling the car around like you see in F1 while under yellow. This is a bad idea, you don't need to scrub off street tires and sometimes people spin their car in the middle of a straight playing "race car driver warming up tires".

In terms of line, I think you need to get someone who has competitively raced on that track/configuration to help you with where to go. I saw alot of pinched corners, late turn ins, a line not accounting for value of the second turn on a tightly coupled pair, etc. A little instruction on where to be will probably net you quite a good reduction in lap times.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
Campo (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #2187
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I think some of that is about to go viral.
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #2188
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,411 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post

In terms of line, I think you need to get someone who has competitively raced on that track/configuration to help you with where to go. I saw alot of pinched corners, late turn ins, a line not accounting for value of the second turn on a tightly coupled pair, etc. A little instruction on where to be will probably net you quite a good reduction in lap times.
Big +1 to this.

Having an instructor in the car is a big help.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Campo (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #2189
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Here's some footage...
Are you sure you're sitting close enough to the wheel? One rule of thumb frequently used with students is to ensure that at a minimum their inside wrist rests on top of the steering wheel when their shoulder is firmly against the seatback and their arm is straight out as yours is in this shot:

The issue is control of the car when it's seriously out of shape and you're fighting to save it. The closer you are to the wheel when that happens, the easier it is to operate the darn thing, although with an airbag I don't think you want to be NASCAR close.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
Campo (11-20-2014), CSG Mike (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #2190
Campo

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
So first thing, the natural noises around you on a race track can give you alot of information. You likely will gain a good chunk more information if you turn your radio off.

I didn't watch all of your videos but a couple of items I did notice:

Not sure what was up with following that Porsche, but at one point you start wobbling the car around like you see in F1 while under yellow. This is a bad idea, you don't need to scrub off street tires and sometimes people spin their car in the middle of a straight playing "race car driver warming up tires".

Thanks ddeflyer, I left the radio on thinking it would help me drive more relaxed like everyday driving, but I think I'll leave it off in the future. Following that Porsche I must have been in the first or second lap of the session. I was trying to warm the tires a bit - is it really that pointless on street tires? At an event several months ago I had chunked the rears, and someone said I needed to get them up to temperature before getting on them too hard. Should I just do a couple warm up laps instead of doing that wobble? (this was the first time I ever tried it, and honestly felt a little silly)

There were definitely a few corners/combinations that I struggled finding a good way through. I experimented quite a bit, and that probably made me look really inconsistent - run wide one lap, pinch it the next, etc. I had an instructor the first time I was at this track several months ago for a couple sessions, and I was trying to remember what he had told me - I don't think I remembered much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
I think some of that is about to go viral.
oh dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Big +1 to this.

Having an instructor in the car is a big help.
I hope to go back and have an instructor again. I place a really high value on having someone that knows what they're doing go with me. I had one once before on this track, but don't remember a lot of what he told me at the beginning of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Are you sure you're sitting close enough to the wheel? One rule of thumb frequently used with students is to ensure that at a minimum their inside wrist rests on top of the steering wheel when their shoulder is firmly against the seatback and their arm is straight out as yours is in this shot:

The issue is control of the car when it's seriously out of shape and you're fighting to save it. The closer you are to the wheel when that happens, the easier it is to operate the darn thing, although with an airbag I don't think you want to be NASCAR close.
Thanks dradernh, yeah, I was having a hard time getting the seat-back up verticle enough when I was doing the seat-belt-pop thing.I'm not sure how else to explain that - you put the seat-back back and lean backwards, then pull the lapbelt tight, and pull quickly on the shoulder belt so it locks, then raise the seat-back up into the locked shoulder belt so it stays locked. I never really got it quite right, and you're right, I ended up without enough bend in my arms. I'm hoping to get proper seats, a loop/half cage with harness bar and harnesses eventually. I know they're not exactly necessary, but I do like a tight belt from past years of off-roading in harnesses.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #2191
ddeflyer

Quote:
Thanks ddeflyer, I left the radio on thinking it would help me drive more relaxed like everyday driving, but I think I'll leave it off in the future. Following that Porsche I must have been in the first or second lap of the session. I was trying to warm the tires a bit - is it really that pointless on street tires? At an event several months ago I had chunked the rears, and someone said I needed to get them up to temperature before getting on them too hard. Should I just do a couple warm up laps instead of doing that wobble? (this was the first time I ever tried it, and honestly felt a little silly)

There were definitely a few corners/combinations that I struggled finding a good way through. I experimented quite a bit, and that probably made me look really inconsistent - run wide one lap, pinch it the next, etc. I had an instructor the first time I was at this track several months ago for a couple sessions, and I was trying to remember what he had told me - I don't think I remembered much...

oh dear...

I hope to go back and have an instructor again. I place a really high value on having someone that knows what they're doing go with me. I had one once before on this track, but don't remember a lot of what he told me at the beginning of this year.

Thanks dradernh, yeah, I was having a hard time getting the seat-back up verticle enough when I was doing the seat-belt-pop thing.I'm not sure how else to explain that - you put the seat-back back and lean backwards, then pull the lapbelt tight, and pull quickly on the shoulder belt so it locks, then raise the seat-back up into the locked shoulder belt so it stays locked. I never really got it quite right, and you're right, I ended up without enough bend in my arms. I'm hoping to get proper seats, a loop/half cage with harness bar and harnesses eventually. I know they're not exactly necessary, but I do like a tight belt from past years of off-roading in harnesses.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it!
Though I've never used one (got seats and harnesses and rollbar), I've heard good things about CG locks to help keep you in the seat better. I think they are like $60 and, from what I've heard, are safer than tweaking your seatbelt if you do have a bad accident.

Also, being relaxed is a very good thing, but you have to also be aware of what is going on around you.

The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
Campo (11-20-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #2192
Jack Black

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks dradernh, yeah, I was having a hard time getting the seat-back up verticle enough when I was doing the seat-belt-pop thing.I'm not sure how else to explain that - you put the seat-back back and lean backwards, then pull the lapbelt tight, and pull quickly on the shoulder belt so it locks, then raise the seat-back up into the locked shoulder belt so it stays locked.
I do this using the seat fore/aft adjuster. Slide the seat back a bit, snug up the belt, snap it to lock, then slide the seat back forward while holding the belt tight. You have to be short enough to have some backwards motion available in the seat, and it takes some practice to get the right starting position, but I've used this trick for years.
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #2193
Campo

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
I do this using the seat fore/aft adjuster. Slide the seat back a bit, snug up the belt, snap it to lock, then slide the seat back forward while holding the belt tight. You have to be short enough to have some backwards motion available in the seat, and it takes some practice to get the right starting position, but I've used this trick for years.
This is a great idea, but sliding the seat is not much of an option for me.

I should probably try driving a semi instead - I'm 6'3", 260 lbs...
Old 11-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #2194
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Quote:
This is a great idea, but sliding the seat is not much of an option for me.

I should probably try driving a semi instead - I'm 6'3", 260 lbs...
Another technique is to twist the belt once near the male end, pull the belt tight so it locks, leaving just enough slack to clip it in. If you do it right, you should have to fight it just a bit to get it in
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #2195
ddeflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmailman View Post
Another technique is to twist the belt once near the male end, pull the belt tight so it locks, leaving just enough slack to clip it in. If you do it right, you should have to fight it just a bit to get it in
Please don't do this; it keeps the lap belt from preventing submarining.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #2196
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
yeah, i agree, OEM seat belts are designed for your torso to move forward to some extent to prevent your hips from sliding under the lap belt. Just jam your left foot into the floor and push back more . The takata street belt with ASM tech. is also very appealing and not a horrible price.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #2197
Jack Black

Drives: 2015 FR-S
If the locking the belt trick isn't an option, CG Lock works pretty good.
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #2198
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I see ppl using a seperate lap belt in autocross in addition to the 3 point seatbelts what are those call?
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote