follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #197
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '24 GR86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,685
Thanks: 658
Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,584 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I think that “performance hierarchy” stuff is just a bunch of baseless bs people were spouting off on the forums.

The fact is that if they did everything to add a turbo, it would be a mid 30k car and have to compete with an entirely different segment, which (going back to 2013) included cars like the Evo, Golf R, Focus RS, 370Z, V6 muscle cars, and so on.

More cars have come since then and are near that price range, including the CTR, Veloster N, and others; but I think the segment isn’t quite as competitive. And 25k-30k is more doable for some people than 35-40k.

So I agree on #2, but I’ll disagree with #1.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #198
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2020 Toyota Camry XSE, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,116
Thanks: 109
Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,221 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wonder if the demand for an STI has declined over the years.

I still see lots of WRX around but the big wing version? not so much.

And perhaps the cost of an STI isnt worth it over a WRX anymore.

Plus the STI has always used the EJ25 and maybe it was finally time to put that motor to rest.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #199
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '24 GR86
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,685
Thanks: 658
Thanked 3,363 Times in 1,584 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I wonder if the demand for an STI has declined over the years.

I still see lots of WRX around but the big wing version? not so much.

And perhaps the cost of an STI isnt worth it over a WRX anymore.

Plus the STI has always used the EJ25 and maybe it was finally time to put that motor to rest.
The STI was definitely worth the extra… if you planned on using it. If you’re just gonna hard park at local meets and go A to B daily, then the WRX was the better car.

But that’s just the opinion of one cuck I guess
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:36 PM   #200
PulsarBeeerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Location: Ohio
Posts: 939
Thanks: 682
Thanked 741 Times in 396 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Brand hierarchy is a real thing. They literally line up the vehicles from least to most capable.

22 GR86 1/4mi 13.9-14 ~$29000
22 GR Supra 2.0 13.3 ~44,000
22 GR Supra 3.0 1/4 12.1 ~$52,000

Also see the entire Porsche range or BRZ, WRX, and WRX STi for the last 8 years.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #201
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Location: NC
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 2,951
Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Where are you finding BRZs that go "considerably" faster than WRX?
The officially rated 0 to 60 is still .5 slower than a WRX.
It has a better power to weight ratio. I'm talking about on track performance. As to the street, unless the WRX driver is gonna do a full throttle clutch dump they'll be slower there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I think that “performance hierarchy” stuff is just a bunch of baseless bs people were spouting off on the forums.

The fact is that if they did everything to add a turbo, it would be a mid 30k car and have to compete with an entirely different segment, which (going back to 2013) included cars like the Evo, Golf R, Focus RS, 370Z, V6 muscle cars, and so on.

More cars have come since then and are near that price range, including the CTR, Veloster N, and others; but I think the segment isn’t quite as competitive. And 25k-30k is more doable for some people than 35-40k.

So I agree on #2, but I’ll disagree with #1.
I agree with you as well, that it was "made up". But it was a favored talking point on here so I brought it up.
__________________
Current: 2023 GRC Circuit Edition, 2012 C63 AMG P31
Past: (2) 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2017 GTI Sport, 2006 Porsche Cayman S, Supercharged 2013 BRZ-L, 2007 Honda S2000, 1992 Integra GS-R
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #202
Stephen W.
Senior Member
 
Stephen W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Location: Quinte West Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 1,717
Thanked 3,049 Times in 1,211 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
The STI was definitely worth the extra… if you planned on using it. If you’re just gonna hard park at local meets and go A to B daily, then the WRX was the better car.

But that’s just the opinion of one cuck I guess
After having three STi's I fully agree, well worth the price of admission. When I drive 'em the boost gauge is up in the double digits. The wife on the other hand puts it in "I" drive and toddles along like the gramma she is. The boost tattletale usually is rarely over 7 maybe 8 psi.
She is coming to terms with her new Crosstrek. I have noticed she is starting to use the "S" drive more when driving it.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #203
Irace86.2.0
Senior Member
 
Irace86.2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 7,884
Thanks: 5,668
Thanked 5,812 Times in 3,302 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I wonder if the demand for an STI has declined over the years.

I still see lots of WRX around but the big wing version? not so much.

And perhaps the cost of an STI isnt worth it over a WRX anymore.

Plus the STI has always used the EJ25 and maybe it was finally time to put that motor to rest.
It could have. Jason put out an Engineering Explained video saying to get the WRX over the STI unless you are taking it to the track or rally racing. The inferior WRX AWD is good enough for a daily and big brakes just aren’t needed unless. The STI is superior and a great value for the price, but again, only if a person uses it. The downside is the STIs motor being a low compression motor for fuel economy where a tune on the WRX gets STI power. The fact that Subaru has been out of the WRC since 2008 really shows a departure from marketing the STI as the ultimate rally car for the street. It definitely lost some of its mystique for anyone buying for what the car represents and is just looking old for those buyers who tend to know what they are buying.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2696527
__________________
My Build | K24 Turbo Swap | *K24T BRZ SOLD*
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #204
Irace86.2.0
Senior Member
 
Irace86.2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 7,884
Thanks: 5,668
Thanked 5,812 Times in 3,302 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Where are you finding BRZs that go "considerably" faster than WRX?
The officially rated 0 to 60 is still .5 slower than a WRX.
Most comparisons put the 86 and WRX head-to-head in the canyons with the lighter 86 carrying more momentum than the heavier, yet more powerful WRX. The WRX would probably be slower now with the GR86 getting that bump in power. Maybe a rolling race would be the same once the GR86 had some RPMs and the WRX didn’t have the AWD advantage off the line.
__________________
My Build | K24 Turbo Swap | *K24T BRZ SOLD*
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #205
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Location: NC
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 2,951
Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Talking

^^I don't think we needed Engineering Explained to tell us the regular WRX is better for people that don't ever plan to track their vehicle.
__________________
Current: 2023 GRC Circuit Edition, 2012 C63 AMG P31
Past: (2) 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2017 GTI Sport, 2006 Porsche Cayman S, Supercharged 2013 BRZ-L, 2007 Honda S2000, 1992 Integra GS-R
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #206
Dirty Harry
Senior Member
 
Dirty Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 649
Thanks: 599
Thanked 681 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I really hope Subaru Australia does this.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-su...-of-execution/
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #207
Kiske
Senior Member
 
Kiske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Location: USA
Posts: 2,349
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I really hope Subaru Australia does this.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-su...-of-execution/

I could see them slapping the tS moniker on it if it isn't more than an minor upgrade.
__________________
//2013 World Rally Blue BRZ Limited FBM Turbo--gone
//2018 Crystal White Pearl BRZ Ts 2.2l Harrop Supercharged
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #208
Dirty Harry
Senior Member
 
Dirty Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 649
Thanks: 599
Thanked 681 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
I could see them slapping the tS moniker on it if it isn't more than an minor upgrade.
Good news is, there’s a precedence for this where the local 2007 WRX tS had 10 more kw than the regular WRX. We’re a bit slack down here with emissions regulations, we’re only on Euro V, which may allow for a locally tuned version.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:15 AM   #209
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,907
Thanks: 1,090
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,210 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
People still consider buying a WRX?

The car sucks for everything besides being a winter beater. Driving one feels like driving a brick on wheels.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #210
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ
 
ROFL it's Waffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 446
Thanks: 276
Thanked 399 Times in 215 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 2022 WRX is ugly.

I've seen pictures of this model and the plastic fenders look stupid. I've seen this car in orange with the gray plastic fenders in person and I have a mixed opinion. This car has evolved from an iconic rally car, to a simplified turbocharged grocery queen. I don't know whether to think "cool, kinda..." or "man, I feel sorry for that guy/gal." I haven't driven this new platform, but owned a 2017. Hopefully it's more fun than it is to look at.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
rip sti, tylerlieberman is a cuck


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2023 Honda Civic Type R Spied / 11th gen Civic gymratter Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 229 12-09-2022 09:57 AM
2022 Nissan Z Coupe WolfpackS2k Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 1128 08-17-2021 06:34 PM
All-new BRZ scheduled for 2021-2022 Opie BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 49 11-05-2018 04:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.