follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #1975
bucket

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I tend to agree that you cannot go off pictures. The BRZ interior, to me, looks a little nicer than the FR-S in pictures. But I am dissapointed in lack of audio and bluetooth steering wheel controls in the twins (many people won't care at all). For a daily driver in traffic, those features are very nice to have, and I have not bought a car in the last 10+ years that did not have the steering wheel audio controls.

Would not be a deal-breaker for me, but it is something that I actually look for when I was test driving cars.
Glad to see I am not the only person in the world who wants the steering wheel audio controls. It is usually the first thing I notice missing whenever I end up in a rental car that doesn't have them...that hasn't happened in a few years though. Even the Yaris I had recently came with steering wheel controls and ipod integration. It could be a deal breaker for me in lesser cars, but probably not this one.

Also, I was pretty disappointed in the Genesis when I test drove one. It reminded me a lot of my 240sx, except my 240sx is better in every way other than modernity...I wish it had the Genesis interior and steering wheel controls (...and A/C, but that's my own fault).
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #1976
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Junky View Post
EXACTLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoTME View Post
and???
... I'm still not fully convinced nor would I own a Hyundai just yet.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #1977
HotLavaMann
First 86 member

Drives: FRS, Tacoma, Honda CB1100
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
InsideLine just published road test of 2013 GenCoupe

It's not a very positive review in that he had some interesting things to say about handling:

"Front tires seem to be offering little grip, as the car just understeers around with little help from drop-throttle action. But the numbers, in fact, show that lateral adhesion is decent. Running with ESC on was frustrating, as the spastic system would cut throttle massively, then unleash full power, then cut power...over and over."

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...0t-r-spec.html
HotLavaMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #1978
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLavaMan View Post
It's not a very positive review in that he had some interesting things to say about handling:

"Front tires seem to be offering little grip, as the car just understeers around with little help from drop-throttle action. But the numbers, in fact, show that lateral adhesion is decent. Running with ESC on was frustrating, as the spastic system would cut throttle massively, then unleash full power, then cut power...over and over."

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...0t-r-spec.html
ESC was an issue with the previous generation Genesis Coupe as well. Luckily the GenCoupe has a 3 stage sytem that allows you disable just TC, or both TC and ESC.

The acceleration times are very perplexing vs MotorTrend. There is almost a 1 second difference. That is a lot. Something seems off.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #1979
xyos

Drives: 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
I was actually debating the FR-S/BRZ vs the Genesis Coupe...I must say the interior of the Genesis is in a different league than the FR-S/BRZ, it seemed so cheap sitting inside of them...the main difference ending up being the weak power in the FRS/BRZ, I went with the 3.8 Track with the 350 HP, thing is sick as shit black on black looks amazing with front LEDs + rear spolier + loaded with nav, sunroof, leather, heated seats, + performance parts, cost me less than the base line BRZ was quoted at!
xyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #1980
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
I cross shopped and drove both. For those complaining about the handling of the Gen Coupe, the R-spec version comes with adjustable camber bolts on the front which are supposed to make a world of difference. Drop 300 lbs and let me get the R package without the Red seats and I might have gone a different direction. The Genesis Coupe came in a strong 2nd place for me while shopping

HOWEVER....now that I have the BRZ I'd never want the GC. The FT86 is special as a drivers car. The GC would have been just another 1 year wonder in my garage.

Last edited by sdiver68; 07-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #1981
mpicher
Autocross Nut

Drives: Argento 2013 Scion FR-S - MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyos View Post
I was actually debating the FR-S/BRZ vs the Genesis Coupe...I must say the interior of the Genesis is in a different league than the FR-S/BRZ, it seemed so cheap sitting inside of them...the main difference ending up being the weak power in the FRS/BRZ, I went with the 3.8 Track with the 350 HP, thing is sick as shit black on black looks amazing with front LEDs + rear spolier + loaded with nav, sunroof, leather, heated seats, + performance parts, cost me less than the base line BRZ was quoted at!
Why you trolling over here then?
mpicher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpicher For This Useful Post:
frsinpa (07-05-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #1982
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I thought 3.8 track was more than 30k? wut
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #1983
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I was all set to get the Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track until the BRZ came into view. The deciding factor was my gf likes the BRZ more than the Genesis. Plus the gas mileage on the BRZ is quite a bit higher.

Handling, power, luxury, etc are not a factor since I am coming from an E92 M3 which blows most everything out of the water. I have to sell my toy to get my gf a house... Lets hope the BRZ fills what I want which is really just a good feeling car that drives well. Once my gf finishes college and can contribute to bills I think I will get a new toy. Here is to hoping she will let me get an R8.

The BRZ is supposed to be a fun little toss around car that gets great gas mileage and looks really nice. What else could you really ask for? I doubt anybody is getting this car thinking it is a race car. Anyways how is driving in a straight line supposed to be fun unless you have much more power than either of these cars have?
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #1984
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
lol, exactly why single is the best
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #1985
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
I thought 3.8 track was more than 30k? wut
lol he is trolling so hard

I went with the 3.8 Track with the 350 HP, thing is sick as shit black on black looks amazing with front LEDs + rear spolier + loaded with nav, sunroof, leather, heated seats, + performance parts, cost me less than the base line BRZ was quoted at!

Must be a used car with some of the shitty parts ever if all that came in under the 28 the BRZ starts at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Handling, power, luxury, etc are not a factor since I am coming from an E92 M3 which blows most everything out of the water. I have to sell my toy to get my gf a house...
Marry me?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #1986
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
lol he is trolling so hard

I went with the 3.8 Track with the 350 HP, thing is sick as shit black on black looks amazing with front LEDs + rear spolier + loaded with nav, sunroof, leather, heated seats, + performance parts, cost me less than the base line BRZ was quoted at!

Must be a used car with some of the shitty parts ever if all that came in under the 28 the BRZ starts at

Marry me?
A lot of guys have been getting the new GC at a cheaper price.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #1987
MTD

Drives: Hyundai
I took delivery of my '13 3.8 about 3 weeks ago and im very happy with it. I got $1500 under MSRP too.

I still really dig the FRS/BRZ though. The Genesis is just a bigger brother.
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #1988
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD View Post
I took delivery of my '13 3.8 about 3 weeks ago and im very happy with it. I got $1500 under MSRP too.

I still really dig the FRS/BRZ though. The Genesis is just a bigger brother.
I thought I was the only one that saw it that way. That's why these two cars are my favorite cars under 40k. They both have RWD,2+2,Low slung sports car shape(sorry pony cars but your boxy/rectangle shape sucks to me), and sports seats but the biggest difference is size and weight and a boxer engine. So it makes sense that one has the edge on handling and the other has the edge on power.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
MTD (07-04-2012)