follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
whiteout86monogram

Old 07-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #183
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just shoot me a PM. We'll take it from there. Details coming soon to those interested. This might be my last batch - it's taking a lot of time to put things together and work is also sucking up a lot of personal time. But I love seeing guys out on the trails so I know how important toting your bike is on these little cars.

I also noticed Yakima stopped offering the roof rack option for the twins...guess they found it just as sketchy as I did!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #184
powderhound

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Just shoot me a PM. We'll take it from there. Details coming soon to those interested. This might be my last batch - it's taking a lot of time to put things together and work is also sucking up a lot of personal time. But I love seeing guys out on the trails so I know how important toting your bike is on these little cars.

I also noticed Yakima stopped offering the roof rack option for the twins...guess they found it just as sketchy as I did!

I am interested- how do I pay? I'm in Calgary.
powderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #185
cdquinton

Drives: Raven FRS
Count me in

I need this. I'm not a fence sitter, Paypal is ready to go. Just tell me when you need my money and how much. PM sent.
cdquinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #186
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Well, perhaps my last batch has been ordered. Probably a little over a month before they are in the hands of happy riders but they will be happy, no doubt!

I ordered extra this time to not only satisfy the fence sitters I always get each batch, but to keep the price down amidst our recent change in currency (USD vs CAD). I'll keep everyone posted with the progress and if you missed out on a batch before, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I have any left this round to help you get back on 2 wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
starbot (07-22-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #187
rokius

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Well, perhaps my last batch has been ordered. Probably a little over a month before they are in the hands of happy riders but they will be happy, no doubt!

I ordered extra this time to not only satisfy the fence sitters I always get each batch, but to keep the price down amidst our recent change in currency (USD vs CAD). I'll keep everyone posted with the progress and if you missed out on a batch before, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I have any left this round to help you get back on 2 wheels.
Cool man. Just stopping by to make sure I'm on the list
rokius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #188
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Anyone have a recommendation for a fork mounted tray that has some width to it to limit the motion of the bike? My Thule Big Mouth has way more front to back movement relative to the car (side to side relative to the tray) than I'd like. Once I hit 70mph, the air is really pushing the bike away from the trunk lid. The stamped steel bracket that holds the uprights that support the mouth twists quite a bit without placing much force on it. My countermeasures are 1) get the bike out of the airstream by going fork mounted and 2) getting a tray with better rigidity. I had an old cheap Thule fork mounted tray from my first mountain bike over a decade ago and I remember that one was even worse than the Big Mouth when it came to side to side rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #189
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokius View Post
Cool man. Just stopping by to make sure I'm on the list
You'd need to send me a PM if you're interested Not on the list yet...
Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #190
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a fork mounted tray that has some width to it to limit the motion of the bike? My Thule Big Mouth has way more front to back movement relative to the car (side to side relative to the tray) than I'd like. Once I hit 70mph, the air is really pushing the bike away from the trunk lid. The stamped steel bracket that holds the uprights that support the mouth twists quite a bit without placing much force on it. My countermeasures are 1) get the bike out of the airstream by going fork mounted and 2) getting a tray with better rigidity. I had an old cheap Thule fork mounted tray from my first mountain bike over a decade ago and I remember that one was even worse than the Big Mouth when it came to side to side rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Thule big mouth only supports the bike by the lowest portion of the wheels with a 1" strap and a bar connected to the center of the lower frame triangle. This isn't really that secure for mounting transverse across the back of the FRS (or any car for that matter). This is why Thule and others do not recommend this form of mounting with their roof racks. From my experience, only 1UP will recommend this mounting style due to the fact they use the same design for their hitch mount as they do for their roof rack option. For reference, my old Yakima Highroller would sway as well being mostly plastic and only supporting the front wheel with a simple metal/plastic hoop...and this is when it was mounted as intended on my roof.

For the price, I don't think there is a better option out there from the 1UP. I have never had the issues you've described using my 1UP rack and my 29er is like a wind sail just from it's size alone.

Worth looking into if your shopping options. Lots of users using them here with these bars, myself included, so there's data to support it working.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #191
Quentin

Custom Tow-Hook Bike Rack

I agree the stamped steel bracket that holds the stanchions on the Big Mouth is too flimsy for this usage. Hence the inquiry.

I have a Rockymount tray arriving today. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. The 1up is on my radar, but the $200 that the tray will cost is dangerously close to what I'd spend on an Ecohitch to use with my Thule 916XT hitch mounted rack.

Sent from Tandy 400

Last edited by Quentin; 08-01-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #192
that_guy
Dances with Cones

EcoHitch looks very cool. I'm surprised it went mass (sort of) production. I always thought that sort of thing would end up grassroots and reserved to talented forum members like those here. Cool to see though!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #193
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Alright, update for those who might be sitting on the fence. In my last batch for some very patient members here, I ordered a few extra, expecting some last minute "can I get a set". While I've been able to satisfy a few of these, my machinist actually ended up having extra material and ran off a few more sets to avoid waste. This means I actually have 9 sets left. This very well could be my last run of these - it's really time consuming. While I love being able to help out members here, it's getting harder to do with my work schedule.

So, if you want one of these 9 remaining sets, send me a PM. They are probably 2-3 weeks from landing on your doorstep from today.

Thanks again to everyone for the interest and keeping this alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
starbot (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #194
Quentin

I paid for a set a few minutes ago!

Sent from Tandy 400
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
that_guy (08-07-2015)