follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #169
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
All that work just to "winterize" the car. Why not just drive a winter beater?

I am piloting a total pile right now.

But still needed to disconnect the oil cooler, even when it is not bad weather oil is still over cooled. Brakes were just a precaution don't want to rebuild them after 6 months because of salt.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #170
Dezoris

OHLINS ROAD AND TRACK COILOVER INSTALL
FACTORY TOUR AND INTERVIEW VIDEO

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsGHoTljxQ"]Coilover Install FRS - BRZ - Ohlins Tour and Interview - YouTube[/ame]

0:00 - 1:45 Chapter 1: Introduction
1:48 - 17:05 Chapter 2: Installation
17:09 - 24:06 Chapter 3: Fixing Problems & Final Ride Height
24:07 - 29:07 Chapter 4: Ohlins Tour
29:07 - 31:02 Chapter 4: Shaker Rig
44:09 - 46:25 Chapter 4: Ohlins F1 Damper and Audi LeMans
31:02 - 50:00 Chapter 4: Product Q&A

INTRO:

One thing is for certain, after all of our projects the last thing I wanted to modify in this platform was something that was not broken from the factory. The car even with an additional 85HP was more than capable on the street, autox and track with better tires (RS3).

So what made us tamper with the car further. Well the short answer is the Ohlins Road and Track Kit. Having experience with Ohlins dampers in several cars I had owned and know their motorsport history it seems like a no brainer, cost aside. However with the market place flooded with suspension kits would the Ohlins setup actually improve the vehicle?

We contacted Jeff at Ohlins to set up the project and described our goals. Withing a few weeks we scheduled the project and for the first time decided to also schedule a trip to see where our parts came from and what is involved in the development of the kit.

PARTS:

We took delivery of the kit, and as expected for the price point packaging was flawless including the build quality of the parts. These are beyond show quality parts. But the truth is any one can make coilovers look pretty today even at the $1000 price point.

What we wanted was quality, support and zero install issues.
Assembling all of the parts took less than 2 hours after triple checking the Swedish based instructions. They make sense but not exactly what you would call overtly clear. It required extra care reading the owners manual and separate setup guide to get all the info you needed.

Personally we like more simple step by step guides that are very specific. This provided plenty of info just not as easy to follow as we saw in the Perrin documentation or the documents from Essex.

Full assembly only required hand tools and no spring compressor.
The install day went nearly flawless, we used penetrating lube on all the parts hours before to make sure the the one year old rusty suspension parts came off without drama.

The Ohlins Suspension was nearly a 5lb weight reduction over the OEM setup. and Fitment was about as perfect as it could get. We actually would say install time was about 3 hours total if you did not run into any issues.

INSTALLATION

As we made our way to the back of the car and installed the shocks Turbowski noticed plenty of space when tightening down the lower shock bolt in the LCA to the shock. I blew it off but as it turns out I missed the bushing spacers at the bottom of the shock.

Now when I say the instructions have all the information, they do. But I missed this step because the only place it mentions bushing spacers is in a picture that points to them. Since I assembled shocks ahead of time during install day, I missed the spacers. Bone head move which costs me replacement control arms and another day of removing and installing.

Aside from that we had no other issues, adjusting the pre-load is just a matter of being diligent in measuring. Adjusting ride height is separate from pre-load which in our case was easy on some shocks and the others we had to unbolt to be able to spin to adjust.

PROBLEMS

We had a nasty rear end clunk, sounded like a shock. Only started after install. It was impossible to re-created unless under load and quick unloading unloading of suspension.

We called Jeff at Ohlins and they shipped a spare rear shock and top mount just in case. And we did more trouble shooting. Last step we disconnected the rear sway bar to test and it turns out we had a bad rear endlink because it was stripped out from the factory at the control arm.

After replacing the endlinks and hardware, we had a silent install and shipped back the shock and mount to Ohlins.

ADUSTABILITY

These are single adjustable dampers with clicker settings that go from 1 (Stiffest) to 20 (Softest)

The clickers are located on the bottom of the struts and access is easy from under the car. The rear adjuster knobs are at the top of the shock making adjustment easy from the trunk.

We settled on 15 clicks front and 16 rear as the felt softer and superior to OEM.

ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION THOUGHTS

The truth of adjustable suspension is that everything that took 20 minutes to do before now takes at least 5 times as long if you are going to do a corner balance and alignment. As soon as you adjust the height on one corner it effects the corner weights everywhere else. The devil is in the details. Changing height will also effect camber and toe settings, so even making small adjustments require alignments every time. This is one of those well known ignored facts by most.

We settled on a 10mm drop front and rear because anything more and we could not clear the lift or alignment racks on most industry standard setups. And for a street car we want practicality and not willing to sacrifice that for a lower drop or that cool factor so many pursue.

TRAVEL AND INTERVIEWS

The following week we traveled 800 miles to North Carolina to interview Jeff Baucom of Ohlins. We will leave the details of that for video viewing.
But needless to say, Ohlins is certainly a motorsport company first.
Their bread and butter is not street cars it is a small part of their business. So it was interesting to see how racing trickled down into these parts.

At the end of the day they are not out to sell high volumes of these kits, they have no interest in volume. They goal is quality first and foremost and that is why Ohlins suspension maintains that higher price point.

Conclusion:

The car at nearly full soft on the street including poor pavement is much smoother than stock. Ride is more compliant and larger impacts are controlled and less jarring. The stiff range of adjustment leaves overhead for most all track types including very uneven surfaces. The fact that you can swap in higher spring rates with these dampers for those who need more control allow for that higher flexibility for track day only cars. But for 95% of FRS/BRZ owners this suspension will handle almost anything you can throw at it street or track.

Unlike many import coil overs you have factory USA support and full warranty and rebuilding facilities, no BS, no drama. I can call Ohlins today and have my shocks rebuilt or re-valved in a week and back to me.

Now it just depends on whether all of that is worth that kind of money. (See Video for more on that)

INSTALL DOCUMENT
http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...MI_SUSMI20.pdf

FINAL THOUGHTS

Our build mission goal has been to add the very best parts where possible. Building a track car is easy. Building a car that can do both without sacrificing the daily driving abilities or raising red flags is much harder. (loud, low, harsh)

The Ohlins kit performs this function by delivering the ride quality that can handle both with almost no compromise for 95% of owners. This is a product developed by a company whose focus has been motorsport and not just Johnny weekend warrior. They support the very highest ends of Moto and Auto racing in the worst from F1 to MotoGP.

This kit is their attempt at taking all that engineering and using it to make a better damper for street cars, knowing 100% street cars will almost never be a race car including the FRS and BRZ.

Now the real question is what is that worth to most owners of a 25k car?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #171
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Now the real question is what is that worth to most owners of a 25k car?
It will be worth it to those that don't look at the purchase price of a car when determining what modifications to add to it. Definitely my favorite video you have done thus far. The comedic value was high.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #172
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you just take the sandwich plate and adapter off and leave the lines when removing the oil cooler? I've grown a little concerned with mine in the winter too, seems like the oil never gets hot enough.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #173
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
Did you just take the sandwich plate and adapter off and leave the lines when removing the oil cooler? I've grown a little concerned with mine in the winter too, seems like the oil never gets hot enough.

Removed the sandwich plate and adapter. And put the Aeroquip -10AN plugs in the lines and zip tied them per the picture.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #174
Dezoris

Needed a winter car. Probably one of the most practical ones you can get
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #175
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Bad ass winter car!
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leicaboss For This Useful Post:
akahenry (01-12-2014), Dezoris (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #176
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
The following week we traveled 800 miles to North Carolina...
Amazing transformation of your car. Love following it. Had no idea they had a facility in Nc, middle of nowhere but had no idea. Would be great to make the 2hr drive to get amazing coilovers from the mfg. Now there is the matter of the $3800...
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Habits For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #177
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
WTF S2K for WINTER CAR? omg. can you like donate money to me so I can mod my car?! Just kidding but that's a bad ass winter car haha
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (01-12-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #178
Dezoris

Season 2 Will Start Soon, and more fun projects will begin.

NOTE OF INTEREST:
I looked around the entire USA inventory and found a very interesting fact. People list their S2000s on autotrader and cars for high prices, and never respond to questions or phone calls. Not talking about a few people. I have a list of 17 cars that seem to be on there for the sole purpose of inflating the prices, including dealers.

Pictures S2000:

Of course had wrong filter, wrong fluids etc, trans felt like shit etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 AM   #179
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
So much nicer to change the spark plugs on an inline 4 vs. a boxer.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
swift996 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #180
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
So much nicer to change the spark plugs on an inline 4 vs. a boxer.
Yeah exactly, plenty of things so much nicer on the S2000, like built in camber, caster and toe adjustment at each wheel.

But we won't get into that.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #181
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Forgive my ignorance but I can't seem to track down whether Vortech / Perrin worked out the tuning issues you mentioned in your Supercharged driving review. You know, the whole weird timing issue and the drop in power?

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #182
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I can't seem to track down whether Vortech / Perrin worked out the tuning issues you mentioned in your Supercharged driving review. You know, the whole weird timing issue and the drop in power?
It's pretty solid, no knock, stable on the track and mostly smooth on the street. I still get some odd timing cuts depending on conditions.

There are some quirks with smoothness around 3000RPMs but without doing a physical dyno tune with tuner on site some of this won't be resolved.

Tags
ap racing, daily driver track, dezoris, ohlins, perrin, properly built 86, vortech supercharger