follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #169
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, as Tcoat and several others know, it can make a big difference between charging (chambering a round) and pulling the trigger and ....... just pulling the trigger .......

humfrz
Exactly!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #170
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

In 40 years of driving, at an average of 50K a year, I have driven over 2 million miles and have never had an accident, not even a fender bender........
Well now, @Tcoat ...... that is very good ....... but, but, ..... how many accidents did you cause .......??

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Anthony (12-19-2015), Tcoat (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #171
Tcoat

Quote:
Well now, @Tcoat ...... that is very good ....... but, but, ..... how many accidents did you cause .......??

humfrz
None I know of but if I did:

Anthony (12-19-2015), humfrz (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #172
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll add one of mine, to @Tcoat 's experiences.

Germany, 1966, on a snow packed autobahn (I had chains on), at night, almost stopped, car coming up behind me going waaaay to fast.

I cut the wheel, hammered down, got out of the way just in time ....... big Mercedes slams into a car that was in front of me…….. get the drift …….

humfrz

I don't think I have ever seen the words: autobahn and chains on in the same sentence.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #173
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
I don't think I have ever seen the words: autobahn and chains on in the same sentence.
Welp, yes, that is a rare combination ....

With my VW beetle, along with the first mrs humfrz and another couple were making a long weekend trip to Innsbruck, Austria from Mannheim, Germany and on the way back, I had to chain up to get over the pass south of Mittenwald.

Since, the autobahn was snow packed, when we hit it and I didn't have snow tires (let alone studs), I decided we would just dig our way out of the Alps until we reached dry pavement.

Yep, at 35 mph, with my buddy's wife constantly bitching about how cold she was, made for a LONG late afternoon and night; roared into Mannheim about 0300, washed my face, had a beer, put on my uniform and went on duty.

AND ...... THEN, I had duty officer that night ........

Well, you asked .........

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Braces (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #174
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,950 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

With my VW beetle, along with the first mrs humfrz and another couple were making a long weekend trip to Innsbruck, Austria from Mannheim, Germany and on the way back, I had to chain up to get over the pass south of Mittenwald.

Since, the autobahn was snow packed, when we hit it and I didn't have snow tires (let alone studs), I decided we would just dig our way out of the Alps until we reached dry pavement.

Yep, at 35 mph, with my buddy's wife constantly bitching about how cold she was, made for a LONG late afternoon and night; roared into Mannheim about 0300, washed my face, had a beer, put on my uniform and went on duty.

humfrz
Moral of the story... Humfrz is OG
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-19-2015), Tcoat (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #175
Tcoat

Quote:

humfrz
Well now Hum, it would appear I missed you by about 10 years. Would not be so unusual if I was American. Spent a couple of months there cross training and that was so rare back then that they made me an honourary member of the unit.
Attached Images

humfrz (12-19-2015), lionbacker54 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #176
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ahem... Regarding downshift vs neutral/ uphill start and after reading pages of different techniques used to achieve the goal of taking you and your car back home in one piece, can I just say that there is no right or wrong way to do it, each situation is different, you as the driver usually asses your surroundings and makes decisions based on that. Using downshifts have their benifits ( more control, the ability to accelerate in an emergency, keeping your brakes in good condition, slowing down quickly and what not) I did a lot of driving yesterday and part of it was in traffic and I was basically doing a mix of what everyone's been saying, depending on how fast the traffic was moving and what the situation was. Maybe some members here have driven a stick shift for the first time which is not strange at all since some of you are relatively young and it's all about auto and tiptronic these days, but when you drive a stick shift you need to forget a lot of what you learned driving auto gear. Manual/ Auto both have their pro's and cons and you need to adapt to whatever your choice of tranny is. If for example you're stuck in traffic (stationary) and you're checking the forums because you're bored use your handbrake because if you're using the normal brake your foot may unconsciously slip off the brake causing your car to roll backwards or forwards ever so slightly ( depending on the incline of the surface, who can tell if it's 100% flat or not anyway ) and Bump the car in front or behind you, if the traffic is continuously moving keep it in gear and use foot brake and it goes on and on and on. It all depends on your style of driving, where you are, type of surface, daytime/ nighttime / condition of tires/brakes/ how many occupants in the car/ transmission etc etc etc.

Most important thing is to be aware of your surroundings and avoid any nasty incidents using the pro's of your gt86 to your advantage ( fast, nimble, good torque, small etc) while keeping in mind the cons ( can't think of much, except maybe poor visibility due to it being so low and in case of an accident God forbid it's not a hulk of metal like a lot of 4 wheel drives out there ).

So drive safe, use an earphone, keep the car in good mechanical condition,keep your eyes on the road and always be on "inbred alert" by checking your mirrors constantly. At high speed don't assume that the car you are overtaking has seen you and won't change lanes unexpectedly without indicating, don't assume that everyone on the road will do what makes sense, they could be on the phone, not checking mirrors, or a lady driver (no offense to the ladies here, I'm sure you could teach me a lot of new lessons) related to driving that is🤔... Ok I'm drifting away from the subject...
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eighty 6 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-19-2015), Tcoat (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #177
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
Ahem... Regarding downshift vs neutral/ uphill start and after reading pages of different techniques used to achieve the goal of taking you and your car back home in one piece, can I just say that there is no right or wrong way to do it, each situation is different, you as the driver usually asses your surroundings and makes decisions based on that. Using downshifts have their benifits ( more control, the ability to accelerate in an emergency, keeping your brakes in good condition, slowing down quickly and what not) I did a lot of driving yesterday and part of it was in traffic and I was basically doing a mix of what everyone's been saying, depending on how fast the traffic was moving and what the situation was. Maybe some members here have driven a stick shift for the first time which is not strange at all since some of you are relatively young and it's all about auto and tiptronic these days, but when you drive a stick shift you need to forget a lot of what you learned driving auto gear. Manual/ Auto both have their pro's and cons and you need to adapt to whatever your choice of tranny is. If for example you're stuck in traffic (stationary) and you're checking the forums because you're bored use your handbrake because if you're using the normal brake your foot may unconsciously slip off the brake causing your car to roll backwards or forwards ever so slightly ( depending on the incline of the surface, who can tell if it's 100% flat or not anyway ) and Bump the car in front or behind you, if the traffic is continuously moving keep it in gear and use foot brake and it goes on and on and on. It all depends on your style of driving, where you are, type of surface, daytime/ nighttime / condition of tires/brakes/ how many occupants in the car/ transmission etc etc etc.

Most important thing is to be aware of your surroundings and avoid any nasty incidents using the pro's of your gt86 to your advantage ( fast, nimble, good torque, small etc) while keeping in mind the cons ( can't think of much, except maybe poor visibility due to it being so low and in case of an accident God forbid it's not a hulk of metal like a lot of 4 wheel drives out there ).

So drive safe, use an earphone, keep the car in good mechanical condition,keep your eyes on the road and always be on "inbred alert" by checking your mirrors constantly. At high speed don't assume that the car you are overtaking has seen you and won't change lanes unexpectedly without indicating, don't assume that everyone on the road will do what makes sense, they could be on the phone, not checking mirrors, or a lady driver (no offense to the ladies here, I'm sure you could teach me a lot of new lessons) related to driving that is🤔... Ok I'm drifting away from the subject...
This^^^^ With exception of playing with your phone even if stuck in traffic. Phone should not be used at anytime when on the road. Just as you are focused on making that perfect post the traffic ahead of you pulls away and the guy in the Escalade behind you runs smack into you because you sat there and he was also on the phone and didn't notice you weren't moving. If on the street your full attention is required even when stopped for prolonged times.

Not weird that on a sports car forum ever body wants to learn about heel and toeing and other cuz' race car maneuvers but on the streets defensive driving skills are primary and those fancy moves are secondary.
Eighty 6 (12-19-2015), humfrz (12-19-2015), PureShield (12-29-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #178
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
Ok I'm drifting away from the subject...
The mark of a true 86er... Drifting away from curves, original thread content, etc. etc.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (12-20-2015), Tcoat (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #179
humfrz

Quote:
Well now Hum, it would appear I missed you by about 10 years. Would not be so unusual if I was American. Spent a couple of months there cross training and that was so rare back then that they made me an honourary member of the unit.

humfrz
Tcoat (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #180
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D Design View Post
The lady behind me in a new Camry decides it's time to "go", and hits me in the bumper.
It's always a fucking Camry.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (12-20-2015), Tcoat (12-19-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #181
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
The mark of a true 86er... Drifting away from curves, original thread content, etc. etc.
Well we can only say "yes you should", "no you shouldn't" so many times before the topic is done anyway.
daiheadjai (12-22-2015), Eighty 6 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #182
humfrz

Quote:
PS - while we are off topic, @Tcoat .... The 28th Transportation Battalion was headquartered at Coleman Barracks when it was inactivated in 2010.

I was stationed at Coleman Barracks (1966-1968) with the 2nd Bn 13th Infantry, 8th Infantry Division.

When you were tasked with the 28th, was it at Coleman Barracks ...... ??

If so, do you recognize any of these old girl friends of mine .... ??

(well, by the time you got there, they were older)

Sorry folks, we were on a military flashback ....... OK, back to out regular programming ......
Attached Images

Eighty 6 (12-20-2015)

Tags
kr-s is colorblind