follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 11-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #17865
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,472 Times in 6,173 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Just curious ........ why?

humfrz
Because.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #17866
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Because.
Welp, that's a better reason than some I've heard ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 AM   #17867
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,678 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious ........ why?

humfrz
Cause I never have people in the back. And I like minimalism. If it ain't doing something, it shouldn't be there. Noise deadening is not a good enough reason haha
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
guybo (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:10 AM   #17868
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Cause I never have people in the back. And I like minimalism. If it ain't doing something, it shouldn't be there. Noise deadening is not a good enough reason haha
OK, It's YOUR ears

SAY WHAT! ..... I can't hear you .......

humfrz
Dadhawk (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #17869
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
This dude nailed it exactly. If it ain't got a purpose, it ain't got a ride. TY, SOCE. Yeah it is a little noisier, but I removed the Berk dual Exit and my exhaust is repetitively quiet now. That's the main reason I didn't do this a long time ago, with the Berk it would have been just way too loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds
Because.
Let me expound upon that.

Because Racecar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds
Sooo, what point exactly are you minimizing the moment of inertia about?
Weight balance in a car is about a lot more than the division of weight. the 55/45 number is easy to quote and easy to understand but it really doesn't matter for much. What's more important is HOW that weight is distributed. If there's a lot of weight far out from the longitudinal COG, the car will be slower to respond. If the weight is centered, the car will be very quick to respond. The more mass that can be moved toward the center of the car, the shorter the moment of inertia of that mass becomes and the quicker the handling of the car becomes. This is one of the big reasons that the battery in a lot of new cars is going up close to the firewall. It's a big chunk of heavy materials inside a plastic case that creates a huge moment of inertia when mounted up front of the engine bay- and that prevents the car from wanting to turn.

Grab a gallon of milk. Hold it close to your body and pivot. Hold it out at arm's length and pivot. Which way is easier to pivot?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #17870
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm thinking that the spare tire is too big to get forward of the back of the headrests ....... besides, he has a shirt in there to cushion the blow .......

humfrz
Willing to bet your life on it? How about your wife or kids if they are the passenger?
That strap ain't doing shit in a crash. Hell, it isn't even well done for the little bit of security it could provide. It has several twists in it that prevent full force from being applied, the limited points of contact are putting very little actual pressure on the wheel, the long gaps on each side are going to permit lateral shift even under light driving conditions, the single strap will just act as a pivot point to flip the wheel in the event of a crash and the ends appear to be rubbing against the raw steel edges so even if it would hold it they won't last long.
Without doing the math I would guess that at speed that spare would have an impact force of someplace around a ton. Are the head rests tested to sustain a tone of impact?
For a short term situation it may be within the realm of acceptable risk but driving around like that all the time in order to get a change in weight that would probably not even be measurable is foolish.
Like I said it is his neck (or his wife, kids, friends) at risk not mine so if he wants to drive around like that "'cuz racecar" I don't care. Other people however need to understand just how dumb a move it is.

Brayden_23 (11-20-2017), Clipdat (11-20-2017), Dadhawk (11-20-2017), humfrz (11-20-2017), johan (11-20-2017), Spuds (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #17871
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,765 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Drove for the first time as a poser!

Today I took my 2013 out for the first time sporting an OEM 2015 shark fin...

I guess that makes me a poser!
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #17872
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,981 Times in 11,395 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Willing to bet your life on it? How about your wife or kids if they are the passenger? That strap ain't doing shit in a crash.
In the FWIW department, this was my exact first thought when I saw the photo. At very minimum it needs to be strapped in the opposite direction (front to back) rather than side to side. That would at least provide some level of restraint in the likely direction of an impact and maybe keep it from joining you in the front seat.

You should put some type of abrasion protection on the metal edges where the straps cross as well. That is definitely going to be a weak spot.

As far as the minimalist delete, @guybo did accomplish that, although I'm not sure it gives quite the benefit you think it does. Honestly just removing the spare and leaving everything else in place would most likely mathematically provide you nearly the same result given where they each sit on the arm. The seats are much closer to CG, so the removal of their weight has less impact then removing the spare, which probably has about the same amount of weight but is further out.

You've also raised your center of gravity slightly with the removal of the seats since most of their weight is below CG and placing the tire higher up, for what it's worth.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
johan (11-20-2017), notout86 (11-21-2017), Spuds (11-20-2017), Tcoat (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #17873
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
In the FWIW department, this was my exact first thought when I saw the photo. At very minimum it needs to be strapped in the opposite direction (front to back) rather than side to side. That would at least provide some level of restraint in the likely direction of an impact and maybe keep it from joining you in the front seat.

You should put some type of abrasion protection on the metal edges where the straps cross as well. That is definitely going to be a weak spot.

As far as the minimalist delete, @guybo did accomplish that, although I'm not sure it gives quite the benefit you think it does. Honestly just removing the spare and leaving everything else in place would most likely mathematically provide you nearly the same result given where they each sit on the arm. The seats are much closer to CG, so the removal of their weight has less impact then removing the spare, which probably has about the same amount of weight but is further out.

You've also raised your center of gravity slightly with the removal of the seats since most of their weight is below CG and placing the tire higher up, for what it's worth.
There are ways to do it right and reduce the risk to almost nothing. If it is a permanent change then simply installing some eye bolts close to the tire, having a strap that can actually be tightened and holds from at least three sides would do the trick. The off road crowd has been doing this forever.
Dadhawk (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #17874
humfrz

Quote:
Willing to bet your life on it? How about your wife or kids if they are the passenger? .............
Well, now, I'll defer to your judgement in this case, since you are more in tuned with crash tests and results.

However, in my case, I wouldn't worry about the tire moving forward ...... because, in a rear moving crash, the tire would move to the back of the car ......

humfrz
Tcoat (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #17875
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, now, I'll defer to your judgement in this case, since you are more in tuned with crash tests and results.

However, in my case, I wouldn't worry about the tire moving forward ...... because, in a rear moving crash, the tire would move to the back of the car ......

humfrz
3rd law of Newton?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #17876
Tcoat

Quote:

humfrz
I wish I could show the "best of" videos the techs made up. I used to just throw my laptop and crap on the seat but now anything weighing over about a pound goes in the trunk. Watching the videos alone does not come even close to representing the level of violence and the forces that come into play in the tests though. One of my favorites is a clip of a fire extinguisher that had been screwed down in the back seat fly up and pretty much decapitate a test dummy. You know how tough those things are and how much force is need to damage them?
Dadhawk (11-21-2017), humfrz (11-20-2017), johan (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #17877
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Willing to bet your life on it? How about your wife or kids if they are the passenger?
That strap ain't doing shit in a crash. Hell, it isn't even well done for the little bit of security it could provide. It has several twists in it that prevent full force from being applied, the limited points of contact are putting very little actual pressure on the wheel, the long gaps on each side are going to permit lateral shift even under light driving conditions, the single strap will just act as a pivot point to flip the wheel in the event of a crash and the ends appear to be rubbing against the raw steel edges so even if it would hold it they won't last long.
Without doing the math I would guess that at speed that spare would have an impact force of someplace around a ton. Are the head rests tested to sustain a tone of impact?
For a short term situation it may be within the realm of acceptable risk but driving around like that all the time in order to get a change in weight that would probably not even be measurable is foolish.
Like I said it is his neck (or his wife, kids, friends) at risk not mine so if he wants to drive around like that "'cuz racecar" I don't care. Other people however need to understand just how dumb a move it is.

So you're saying I should put it back in the back bolted down?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #17878
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
So you're saying I should put it back in the back bolted down?
Yep. Or see my other option.
Could just do away with it since you don't have a jack anyway.

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby