follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 11-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #1751
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Correct. They basically "wrap" your standard 3/36 warranty from Subaru/Toyota. The 3 years starts from the day you bought your car, not when you bought/installed the Edelbrock kit and the miles are total miles on the car, not miles with the SC.
The easiest way to think of this is Edelbrock is trying to make the kit more attractive by saying, in effect, you will still have the same bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage on your car even if you buy their kit day-one of ownership. They're covering the parts that the car manufacturer would refuse to cover due to the installation of their kit.

And to be pedantic, the age of the car is not important, it's the "in service" date. Technically, you could have found a 2013 car sitting on a lot somewhere and only purchased it in 2015 (unlikely, but not impossible). The warranty period would start from the date the car was first sold/registered, not when it was made.

-Matt

Got it. That honestly makes the Edelbrock kit very desirable in my opinion. It gives more reason to boost a brand new car and not have to worry about it because they have you (mostly) covered. I'm going to call Edelbrock today and get some more details but i'm leaning towards this kit more and more. Originally i wanted a turbo because it makes higher power easier (more efficient) But the lack of warranty and the fact that i also live in CA makes the decision hard. Also the fact that edelbrock kit can make almost 300 whp with a CARB legal tune honestly just makes the entire thing easier to deal with in the long run.
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #1752
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The Carb tune is nowhere near 300 whp...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #1753
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Got it so basically it sounds like rather than taking on Subaru's warranty, Edelbrock just offers their own 3 year warranty (or 36,000 miles) Which doesnt apply if your 86 older than 3 years. If i'm not mistaken.
Correct. Edelbrock is offering to warrant your drivetrain that Subaru/Toyota will no longer warranty, provided that you meet their requirements.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #1754
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Got it. That honestly makes the Edelbrock kit very desirable in my opinion. It gives more reason to boost a brand new car and not have to worry about it because they have you (mostly) covered. I'm going to call Edelbrock today and get some more details but i'm leaning towards this kit more and more. Originally i wanted a turbo because it makes higher power easier (more efficient) But the lack of warranty and the fact that i also live in CA makes the decision hard. Also the fact that edelbrock kit can make almost 300 whp with a CARB legal tune honestly just makes the entire thing easier to deal with in the long run.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...stallers.shtml

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #1755
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
The Carb tune is nowhere near 300 whp...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
see thats the thing i cant seem to find a straight answer on the power gains. Their website says with the CARB tune you can hit 270 whp on 93, some people on youtube are claiming 300 whp on 91 (probably pre-CARB), but then people on the forums are claiming the most gains i'll see is 240 whp at the most.

I dont really know who to listen to...
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 11-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #1756
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Nie! I wouldnt make the drive down to OC just for an install though. Pretty sure The Racer's Line is an authorized installer so i'd go to Neal.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #1757
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,998 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Got it so basically it sounds like rather than taking on Subaru's warranty, Edelbrock just offers their own 3 year warranty (or 36,000 miles) Which doesnt apply if your 86 older than 3 years. If i'm not mistaken.
Correct, although the supercharger still has a 3 year warranty regardless.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #1758
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
see thats the thing i cant seem to find a straight answer on the power gains. Their website says with the CARB tune you can hit 270 whp on 93, some people on youtube are claiming 300 whp on 91 (probably pre-CARB), but then people on the forums are claiming the most gains i'll see is 240 whp at the most.

I dont really know who to listen to...
Hmm... I'm not sure where you found those numbers. The Edelbrock site claims 242RWHP with their stock tune (that dyno pull was done before CARB compliance was complete so the CARB tune may produce slightly different numbers, I believe Delicious Tuning got ~230RWHP with the CARB tune). Delicious Tuning made 252RWHP on their stage 1 tune and 327RWHP with E85 FlexFuel. These are all with the stock 3.25" pulley size. Delicious also did a dyno run with the 3.0" pulley that netted them 265RWHP (using their custom tune).

Evaluating these systems can be very difficult since there are a lot of numbers flying around and it's not always clear what was done to achieve a particular power level. Without running a smaller pulley or installing a FlexFuel kit you're not likely to see anything much beyond the ~250RWHP range. Flex fuel with a stock pulley can push you past 300RWHP. That is the safer approach if you want to keep your engine stock. Flex fuel will automatically back off the power when you go back to regular 91-93 pump gas... Once you install a smaller pulley you're running higher boost no matter what. It's not like a turbo where you can control the boost level on the fly.

Really, you shouldn't pay as much attention to peak power levels as much as area under the torque curve. That's what you really "feel" when you drive the car. Unless you're drag racing or doing top-speed runs you're not likely to be out driving around at redline all the time (which is where all these kits make peak power).

-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (11-03-2016), CSG Mike (11-04-2016), Dadhawk (11-03-2016), Xxyion (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #1759
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Hmm... I'm not sure where you found those numbers. The Edelbrock site claims 242RWHP with their stock tune (that dyno pull was done before CARB compliance was complete so the CARB tune may produce slightly different numbers, I believe Delicious Tuning got ~230RWHP with the CARB tune). Delicious Tuning made 252RWHP on their stage 1 tune and 327RWHP with E85 FlexFuel. These are all with the stock 3.25" pulley size. Delicious also did a dyno run with the 3.0" pulley that netted them 265RWHP (using their custom tune).

Evaluating these systems can be very difficult since there are a lot of numbers flying around and it's not always clear what was done to achieve a particular power level. Without running a smaller pulley or installing a FlexFuel kit you're not likely to see anything much beyond the ~250RWHP range. Flex fuel with a stock pulley can push you past 300RWHP. That is the safer approach if you want to keep your engine stock. Flex fuel will automatically back off the power when you go back to regular 91-93 pump gas... Once you install a smaller pulley you're running higher boost no matter what. It's not like a turbo where you can control the boost level on the fly.

Really, you shouldn't pay as much attention to peak power levels as much as area under the torque curve. That's what you really "feel" when you drive the car. Unless you're drag racing or doing top-speed runs you're not likely to be out driving around at redline all the time (which is where all these kits make peak power).

-Matt

Thank you so much for the response. Was getting frustrated lol. So if anything it seems like the proper tune with flex fuel will make the most power. Does that mean Delicious Tuning generally is more aggressive than Ecutek? I was thinking about running flex fuel anyways. if i were to get the Edelbrock kit i'd be better off buying it without the Ecutek license then i assume? Just go straight to Delicious Tuning?

The other option i have is to get a non CARB compliant Turbo kit which can easily make 300 whp on 91...but i'd have to remove it in 5 years because California smog checks. Or risk getting a ticket due to random smog checks (that has been a thing).

I could also get the edelbrock kit now and then just build the engine at a later date if i really want more power. I think i'd e ok with 250 whp. Especially if it's all down below the torque curve. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #1760
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you so much for the response. Was getting frustrated lol. So if anything it seems like the proper tune with flex fuel will make the most power. Does that mean Delicious Tuning generally is more aggressive than Ecutek? I was thinking about running flex fuel anyways. if i were to get the Edelbrock kit i'd be better off buying it without the Ecutek license then i assume? Just go straight to Delicious Tuning?
No, Delicious Tuning are a tuning shop that sell Ecutek tunes. The CARB tune is just a configuration that Edelbrock will supply you with to meet CARB requirements. That tune also uses Ecutek. It doesn't matter who you buy your Ecutek hardware and license from. If you can get everything you need cheaper than the price difference between the two kits, then go ahead and buy it from someone else. Edelbrock will still give you the CARB tune file no matter where you get your Ecutek hardware/license. The Delicious tune is more aggressive but that's mostly because there's only so much that can be done with a CARB compliant tune. A tune from Delicious Tuning will cost you an additional $400 (that price does not include the license or hardware).

Hopefully that all made sense and didn't add to the confusion
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #1761
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
No, Delicious Tuning are a tuning shop that sell Ecutek tunes. The CARB tune is just a configuration that Edelbrock will supply you with to meet CARB requirements. That tune also uses Ecutek. It doesn't matter who you buy your Ecutek hardware and license from. If you can get everything you need cheaper than the price difference between the two kits, then go ahead and buy it from someone else. Edelbrock will still give you the CARB tune file no matter where you get your Ecutek hardware/license. The Delicious tune is more aggressive but that's mostly because there's only so much that can be done with a CARB compliant tune. A tune from Delicious Tuning will cost you an additional $400 (that price does not include the license or hardware).

Hopefully that all made sense and didn't add to the confusion
-Matt
Got it. Sounds like i could run an Edelbrock kit with a non-CARB tune and then when i need to smog, just flash the ECU with the CARB tune? (does it work like that? lol) If it does then all the more reason to go with a company i'm already leaning heavily towards.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:49 AM   #1762
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Its good that you are doing your homework and asking questions. I would recommend you take a close look at what you really want out of your car. The common phrase "cheap, reliable, fast... you can only have 2" applies. Do you want 300hp? Probably have to go E85, catless, etc. That means you won't be CARB legal and probably won't be as reliable (although there are a few of them out there that are, but then again, they probably spent more $$$ for it)

Quote:
So if anything it seems like the proper tune with flex fuel will make the most power. Does that mean Delicious Tuning generally is more aggressive than Ecutek? I was thinking about running flex fuel anyways. if i were to get the Edelbrock kit i'd be better off buying it without the Ecutek license then i assume? Just go straight to Delicious Tuning?
You questions regarding Ecutek and DT have been answered, but I would that unless you can find Ecutek very cheap, buying it along with the SC kit is a bargain.

Quote:
The other option i have is to get a non CARB compliant Turbo kit which can easily make 300 whp on 91...but i'd have to remove it in 5 years because California smog checks. Or risk getting a ticket due to random smog checks (that has been a thing).
They don't get much love, but have you considered WORKS? only CARB legal turbo around.

Quote:
I could also get the edelbrock kit now and then just build the engine at a later date if i really want more power. I think i'd e ok with 250 whp. Especially if it's all down below the torque curve. Thanks for the response.
People like numbers, but get too stuck on them. Drive a car with an Edelbrock kit and see how you feel.

Quote:
Got it. Sounds like i could run an Edelbrock kit with a non-CARB tune and then when i need to smog, just flash the ECU with the CARB tune? (does it work like that? lol) If it does then all the more reason to go with a company i'm already leaning heavily towards.
Exactly what I'm doing, but make sure you retain your cats ie header and mid pipe.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #1763
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Its good that you are doing your homework and asking questions. I would recommend you take a close look at what you really want out of your car. The common phrase "cheap, reliable, fast... you can only have 2" applies. Do you want 300hp? Probably have to go E85, catless, etc. That means you won't be CARB legal and probably won't be as reliable (although there are a few of them out there that are, but then again, they probably spent more $$$ for it)

You questions regarding Ecutek and DT have been answered, but I would that unless you can find Ecutek very cheap, buying it along with the SC kit is a bargain.

They don't get much love, but have you considered WORKS? only CARB legal turbo around.

People like numbers, but get too stuck on them. Drive a car with an Edelbrock kit and see how you feel.

Exactly what I'm doing, but make sure you retain your cats ie header and mid pipe.

Hey man thanks so much for your responses in both this thread and our local one. I've kept all my stock parts for just the reason that if i need them i have them. Also for me i'm picking Reliable + Fast. I dont mind spending the extra money for quality and reliability...but we all like to chase that Unicorn of trifection =D. I'm going to be driving a few boosted 86's in the near future to see what i like. However i'm even willing to sacrafice a little bit of how i want it to drive for more reliability. I'm very much thinking of doing what you are doing by going Delicious Tuning with Flex Fuel until my 6 years comes up then switching my headers back and doing my CARB tune.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-04-2016), sato (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #1764
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey man thanks so much for your responses in both this thread and our local one. I've kept all my stock parts for just the reason that if i need them i have them. Also for me i'm picking Reliable + Fast. I dont mind spending the extra money for quality and reliability...but we all like to chase that Unicorn of trifection =D. I'm going to be driving a few boosted 86's in the near future to see what i like. However i'm even willing to sacrafice a little bit of how i want it to drive for more reliability. I'm very much thinking of doing what you are doing by going Delicious Tuning with Flex Fuel until my 6 years comes up then switching my headers back and doing my CARB tune.

Definitely the best choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post:
sato (11-04-2016)