follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #1709
Christina_Marie

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update 10/17 : sorry about the late update ! I was on vacation until 10/15 and been swamped at work since I've been back.

Car went in last on 9/23 for ECU replacement, got her back on 10/5, earlier then expected. A little fishy because my service rep didn't call me to advise the ECU came in "early" - the only reason I knew is because I kept in constant contact with her on the ETA for when the ECU should have been arriving originally. Also I got her back on the 15th day, exactly when Lemon Law in MA would have kicked in, hmmmm ....

Anyways, they test drove the car about 60 miles or so, no CEL/idle dip at all. Great timing because I got to actually enjoy the car for my full vacation. Drove her pretty hard, in all types of conditions and all types of roads during my vaca time - highway, mountain, you name it. Absolutely no CEL/engine shaking/idle dipping, pretty rock solid. I've put another 600+ miles since I received the car back. I am hoping this is the permanent fix and in another couple hundred miles im NOT bringing it back to the dealership.

As far as compensation, my service rep was supposed to call on Monday to see how things were, and she was also supposed to have a Toyota/Scion corporate rep call regarding compensation - however no call yet. My day off is Friday, if I still haven't heard from either then, I will call myself and see whats up. I grilled my service rep (politely, of course) regarding the CEL problem when I went to pick my car up. I asked pretty bluntly if Toyota/Scion had any idea what IS actually causing the issue, her response : "Seeing that you are well rounded with how the car works, and you know an extreme amount about the problem/car itself, I won't lie to you - Toyota is not exactly sure of what is causing the CEL/idle problem at this time". I then asked where the ECU fix came from then or if this is just a "process of elimination" with part replacement at this time, which she basically agreed is, what this is - but they are "pretty confident that the ECU fix, will fix the issue going forward". Hmmm .. I know from reading all 78 pages of this growing thread that this is not the case for some, I am hoping otherwise. Again this was back on 10/5 when I got the car back, so I'm sure more headway is being made on the issue since then ...

Hope anyone with the problem remaining is fixed soon !! :happy0180:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina_Marie View Post
add me to the list as well :

christina_marie, FR-S (Asphalt AT), 7073xx, western MA area - normal break in, never went above 4K and didn't drive her hard until after 1000 miles.

first incident - 8/20 (day of purchase) with 40 miles on her - CEL popped, no SL, no engine shake or anything else noticeable, brought it immediately back, all they did was clear the code and I was good to go for a week.

second incident : 8/27 (830 miles) - CEL/SL/extreme engine shake, RPM hunting, code pulled P0019. Was in servicing for 3 or 4 "business days" and given a loaner. They swapped the OCV sensor, cleared the problem for awhile until the following ...

third incident : currently in for service as of 9/23 with 2200 miles on her - CEL/SL/(CEL was actually blinking this time)/engine shake/RPM hunting - service manager stated new ECU being ordered, 2-3 week wait as most everyone else is hearing. my service rep already talked to a toyota/scion corporate rep who approved compensation of some sort once the problem is "fixed", which I'm happy about at least. I will be well within lemon law rights in MA by the time the ECU even comes in, so that will be worst case scenario if need be. Just miss driving her as everyone else is feeling ! I will post updates as soon as I hear anything ..
Christina_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christina_Marie For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-17-2012), eurospeed (10-17-2012), Marrk (10-18-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #1710
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not sure if this was smart but scion told me to take my car and that the fuel pump should be here tomorrow or fri...What bothers me is that they are doing a step by step process...they are going to change the hpfp which is not going to fix the problem..then they are going to tell me that they have to order the ecu and then if that doesnt work i have to come back again and do the cam stuff..this is going to be hassel i feel it!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #1711
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
At my dealership the crickets are back after less than 1000 miles... This thing is starting to smell like a lemon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #1712
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
I don't know if I should be added to the list or not. I have been having the idle issue for a while now, and only recently had the rpms drop down to 4k. After that happened the engine just died while I was driving down the road. The car is in the shop now and I'm waiting to hear something. Shop seems obsessed with the TSB for the crickets right now, and are wanting to ignore the idle drop and the fact that the engine just died.

Apollo_1092, FR-S, 4650 miles, 7007XX, In Shop, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Add me. at about 8000 kms it started having an up and down idle, very much present when braking to a stop. No CEL

FR-S 6MT

Currently the list only includes owners with a CEL and the related idle issue. Please keep us posted if you get a CEL and I will gladly add you. Also, the dealer will likely not work on your vehicle unless you have a CEL. Thanks.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eurospeed For This Useful Post:
Apollo_1092 (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #1713
Apollo_1092
Flyboy

Drives: Series 10 FR-S MT (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post
Currently the list only includes owners with a CEL and the related idle issue. Please keep us posted if you get a CEL and I will gladly add you. Also, the dealer will likely not work on your vehicle unless you have a CEL. Thanks.
You got it. The only reason I wasn't sure is because when the engine died every warning light turned on. But I will keep you posted. They are going to fix the fuel pump chirping issue first and then go from there (per Toyota Tech instructions). Thanks for clarifying. Appreciate it.

Whiteout FR-S: Totaled due to hail damage
Nobis Non Licet Mediocribus
Apollo_1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #1714
eurospeed

Folks, as some may have noticed, the number of new cases is certainly not slowing. In fact, the numbers seem to be picking up even though sales have slowed dramatically. Also, please keep posting new media outlets as they pick up the news and I will add it to the main page.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eurospeed For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (10-17-2012), Alienate (10-18-2012), Apollo_1092 (10-17-2012), ftc~brz (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #1715
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Folks, as some may have noticed, the number of new cases is certainly not slowing. In fact, the numbers seem to be picking up even though sales have slowed dramatically. Also, please keep posting new media outlets as they pick up the news and I will add it to the main page.
Sales have slowed? Where can I follow sales statistics? And BTW thanks for maintaining the info on the main page!
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #1716
eurospeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
Sales have slowed? Where can I follow sales statistics? And BTW thanks for maintaining the info on the main page!
Here you go: (I'll keep this updated on the first page)

Quote:
Some fun facts on sales volume:

Total FR-S sales from launch including September 2012 = 7465
Total BRZ sales from launch including September 2012 = 2718

FR-S September sales = 1133
BRZ September sales = 508

FR-S August sales = 1913
BRZ August sales = 623

FR-S July sales = 1649
FR-S June sales = 2684
The Following User Says Thank You to eurospeed For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #1717
IceCreamMan
Decepticon

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Asphalt 6MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can update with my VIN if you want, I'm #140 on the list.

7004XX
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #1718
einzlr

Drives: several
Quote:
Here you go: (I'll keep this updated on the first page)
Thanks!

And interesting. It sure isn't for lack of demand. Still lots of wait lists and markup$$.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1719
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
I possibly have a new issue since the ECU update. Well I think it's new, I'm not sure the car did this before. By the way, my FR-S has an AT. Anyhow, upon normal acceleration from a stop or usually from first gear, the throttle drops for a second and then engages again. It's like I quickly let my foot off and on the gas. Maybe it's an engine bog, but I'm not sure because it happens pretty quick. It does not always do this, maybe ten to twenty percent of the time. Or maybe the transmission is jumping in and out of second gear too quickly? Whatever it is, it sure doesn't seem right and I'll add it to the list of weird symptoms this car has when you drive it.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1720
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
I have received no CEL but i have noticed my idle dip down to 400rpm about 5 times since ownership (7000+km)

I contacted my dealer in ottawa canada about getting the reflash and they said "sure, no problem, the reflash is being released in canada in about two weeks". This was 4 days ago.

Ill update when i get the reflash.
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #1721
eurospeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
I possibly have a new issue since the ECU update. Well I think it's new, I'm not sure the car did this before. By the way, my FR-S has an AT. Anyhow, upon normal acceleration from a stop or usually from first gear, the throttle drops for a second and then engages again. It's like I quickly let my foot off and on the gas. Maybe it's an engine bog, but I'm not sure because it happens pretty quick. It does not always do this, maybe ten to twenty percent of the time. Or maybe the transmission is jumping in and out of second gear too quickly? Whatever it is, it sure doesn't seem right and I'll add it to the list of weird symptoms this car has when you drive it.

Rob
It's definitely not your imagination and is an issue Toyota is not acknowledging. Here is a thread that was started last month:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16997
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #1722
Tricky1980

Drives: 2013 Raven Fr-s
Quote:
It's definitely not your imagination and is an issue Toyota is not acknowledging. Here is a thread that was started last month:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16997
unfortunately i was told today that since no NEW CEL that im imagining it and its not happenign even though i had a video on my cell phone showing it dropped before it went up..... *sigh*
Tricky1980 is offline   Reply With Quote