follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #141
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
It seems to me that lot of potential customers for air suspension stem from wishing show cars .. i wonder if there ever will be product fitting for me - like stock but which can be by simple press of button temporarily rised for going/parking over curbs without scratching underside/bumpers or temporarily going over deeper snow till getting to normal road, and then return to stock height. I imagine it as something to be used with stock or slightly lowered aftermarket shocks (to add mounting length for tiny rubber baloons within stock shock absorbers size). Imho it might be win-win for those not going for record low show ride drop, but just to enhance daily drivability, without any scare of reliability issues (if pressure completely lost - you simply get stock height back, perfectly drivable further), with known shock stiffness properties (for those that wish specific track setups), with lesser price (from such addon being just extra to existing shocks, smaller rubber air bages (and probably less capacity air tank or even without it, as normal state is deflated, and inflation needed temporarily), simpler electronics (just on for higher ground clearance, and off for normal driving, no steps between). About the only potential drawback in my eyes seems that while it should be possible to get stock shock lengths, travel will be less at that length, to leave place for mini airbags above shock absorber.
are you serious

adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adamg For This Useful Post:
churchx (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #142
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
are you serious

How much does such a system cost? Does it have a tank and supplies too?
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #143
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh, there already were such kits? First time seeing/hearing about them. Most links i googled up on air suspension turned up "normal air suspension shocks" like this thread is about. Now at least i'll know name of kit to search for. Any comments on experiences with them, or almost nobody considered such?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #144
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Air Suspension Discussion Thread - Let's Get Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
How much does such a system cost? Does it have a tank and supplies too?

The air motion kit retails at $3750
Phantom makes one as well but I don't know the price

Quote:
Oh, there already were such kits? First time seeing/hearing about them. Most links i googled up on air suspension turned up "normal air suspension shocks" like this thread is about. Now at least i'll know name of kit to search for. Any comments on experiences with them, or almost nobody considered such?

They're called cup kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #145
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
The air motion kit retails at $3750
Phantom makes one as well but I don't know the price

They're called cup kits.

Cup kits are news to me, too. I always thought if I wanted an air system I needed to get bags. I like the idea of springs more than bags, this is like both.

Just one more thing I need to save up for! Dammit.

-RyanG
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #146
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
Cup kits are news to me, too. I always thought if I wanted an air system I needed to get bags. I like the idea of springs more than bags, this is like both.

Just one more thing I need to save up for! Dammit.

-RyanG

I know how you feel haha. 😭

Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #147
Chaz@ORT

Drives: VW GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
They're called cup kits.
Air Cup's is the proper term.

Fortune Auto has a pretty sweet set as well.

http://www.fortune-auto.com/aircuplift.htm

It uses a very similar management set up as compared to a normal air bag suspension. You can run digital management, or a simple paddle valve to inflate the air cups for clearance.

Neat stuff, very Pricey though.
Chaz@ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #148
Chaz@ORT

Drives: VW GTI
Although they're designed to be strong enough to drive on, it would be immensely uncomfortable because the air cup is designed to both raise the car, and compress the spring at the same time, so it would be nearly doubling the spring rate, if not more so.

Really only practically for over coming obstacles (i.e. speed bumps, steep entrances, etc)
Chaz@ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #149
churchx

But that's exactly what i would like it for!
- i'm happy with stock suspension on road. Find it very good balance between comfort & handling. It's that short time of getting to/from road i'd like temporary changes for, bet it parking on road side over curb, or getting out uncleaned icy inner-yard road with deep grooves in ice / bottom&bumper scraping / high chance to stay flat with wheels in air. Once on the road - stock suspension setup is fine.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #150
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
- i'm happy with stock suspension on road. Find it very good balance between comfort & handling. It's that short time of getting to/from road i'd like temporary changes for, bet it parking on road side over curb, or getting out uncleaned icy inner-yard road with deep grooves in ice / bottom&bumper scraping / high chance to stay flat with wheels in air. Once on the road - stock suspension setup is fine.
why would you need to raise stock suspension. thats already like 6+ inches off the ground
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #151
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
why would you need to raise stock suspension. thats already like 6+ inches off the ground

Agreed, if you're not able to clear speed bumps you're doing something wrong.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #152
churchx

Let's say that in world wide roads and their state and also weather conditions may differ slightly from country to country. Or such case is not theoretically possible and it's always driver's wrongdoing? And did i ever mentioned speedbumps? Never had problems going over those. But i needed pulling out at least twice this winter only because of low clearance. Had to pay for painting scratched underside of front bumper. And i now "it's racecar"argument .. but it happens to be also my only daily driver one, hence i thought finding some ways to hack around few problematic bits and seek for possible solutions. Some dynamic adjustment seemed logical instead of fitting permanent spacers rising shocks height (and probably ruining that balance i'm happy with on normal roads).
Old 06-23-2015, 01:36 AM   #153
kenoshainflames

Drives: 2013 brz limited
has anyone thought about swapping the front double bellow for a sleeve bag? I'm way to close for comfort in the front
kenoshainflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #154
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
The cup kit isn't for you then. It only raises the car an inch or so. With airlift you can raise 2.5 inches if adjusted that way. I have the Airlift digital system and wanted to run stock height or higher, but the rears were too low. I contacted Airlift and one of the guys, (I forget who) sold me the bottom mounts from the Impreza shocks which were about 1.5 inches taller. I'm planning on readjusting my system to be about .25 inch above the tires deflated, and about 1 inch above stock height fully inflated, (it's like .5 in back and 1.5 in front, so 1 inch average). This way I can clear driveways/obstacles when I need to, drive at a lowered normal ride height, where it rides and corners better, and in case of a leak or blowout, the lowest ride height will still clear my tires. Bottom line, the Airlift system will do what you want to do, but you will need the taller rear mounts to do it.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote