follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #141
Jlin

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pforwell View Post
I have done ~150KM on my Winter tires/rims and have yet to get a TPMS light. I'm really not sure why.

It generally comes on after about an hour of driving regardless of distance it seems...
Jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #142
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pforwell View Post
I have done ~150KM on my Winter tires/rims and have yet to get a TPMS light. I'm really not sure why.
If you park your car near where you store your summer wheels, it could be picking up the signal from those sensors, and starting fresh each day. Just an idea.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #143
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Anyone else notice a substantial change in driving character after moving to winter tires?

I have 205 55/16's on steel rims. The car feels a little floaty at freeway speeds (not very planted at all). I've owned a few RWD cars before with winter tires, and never noticed such a difference. Perhaps it's the light weight of the car? Or maybe it's just how GOOD it is on normal tires.

Should I have gotten an alignment maybe? I've checked the tires, tire pressure, and torque on the lug nuts and everything is fine.

Thoughts?
Burrcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #144
RoryTate

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There is more tread block flex with the winters, and it sounds like there will be time required for driving adjustment. In a few months you probably won't notice it as much until you put the summers back on and have to adjust again.
RoryTate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #145
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Anyone else notice a substantial change in driving character after moving to winter tires?

I have 205 55/16's on steel rims. The car feels a little floaty at freeway speeds (not very planted at all). I've owned a few RWD cars before with winter tires, and never noticed such a difference. Perhaps it's the light weight of the car? Or maybe it's just how GOOD it is on normal tires.

Should I have gotten an alignment maybe? I've checked the tires, tire pressure, and torque on the lug nuts and everything is fine.

Thoughts?
Your sport car is just going to be a car for the duration. That's why I decided on all seasons for winter, can have some semblance of sport driving and just don't use the car the few days it snow. Don't get me wrong I love snows and had them on my last car but I hated every day they were on and it was not snowing
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #146
spikey_dogg

Drives: N/A
Didn't get any help from the wheels / tires section so maybe you guys can help
Hi I need help with picking wheels for Tires

I'm planning to get 16" General Altimax tires and planning to pick up steelies from costco so I just need someone to confirm if the wheels from their site is the correct one I would need
http://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/Costco.../100018256.pdf
code: X99121N

also, will the stock lugnuts etc fit or would I need to pick it up? because I am going to the states to have it done.

cheers

spikey_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #147
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey_dogg View Post

I'm planning to get 16" General Altimax tires and planning to pick up steelies from costco so I just need someone to confirm if the wheels from their site is the correct one I would need

also, will the stock lugnuts etc fit or would I need to pick it up? because I am going to the states to have it done.

cheers

X99121N
is listed as a "universal" wheel code, so not likely to be hubcentric. For aftermarket steel wheels in 16", X66008 is confirmed as OE hubcentric and available at 1010tire.com or X40867(suggested to be, but as yet unconfirmed as hubcentric)

http://dprtroues.com/PDF/Scion.pdf

cheers

smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #148
Pforwell

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
If you park your car near where you store your summer wheels, it could be picking up the signal from those sensors, and starting fresh each day. Just an idea.

I live in an apartment building and park nowhere near my summer tires. I do appreciate the idea though.

As for the tires, I've now done close to 400KM on them and have yet to get a TPMS light. I'll be going for a 2 hour drive tonight so maybe the longer distance will trigger them. We will see I guess.
Pforwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #149
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Got my wheels from Costco Online the day after Remembrance Day. Went to Costco today (well, yesterday now) at 8 in the morning, bought 205/55/16 Michelin X-Ice Xi3's.

The guy there said they are hub-centric and they ride nice. No complaints. I mean, I'm not crazy about the colour but I was planning on getting wheel covers anyway.

Here's a shot of what they look like. Sorry, was dark by the time I got home so not the greatest picture but it at least gives you guys an idea.
Attached Images

Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enemies For This Useful Post:
thorlius (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #150
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
That wheelgap! And they look like big sideways tin cans.

Well, I guess at least now I know they'll fit mine as well. My car made it to my dealer this morning and they'll have it ready for me Wednesday afternoon next week... with those same rims, and the TRD exhaust installed.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #151
Enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I got a set of 16" Pirelli Winter Carving Edge tires on steelies. The tires are still new but they are slipping sometimes when turning and then accelerating. I notice the traction control is coming on. Is this normal? I don't have much experience with RWD cars. Or do the tires need more breaking in? or these tires bad? The shop recommended these but I kinda want to send them back.
For what it's worth, my Michelins did the same thing the day I got them. About 8 degrees and not a drop of snow on the ground. If I push the gas while turning it will give a bit of a slip. Kind of fun but probably not best for the tires at that temperature with no snow.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #152
Enemies

Oh, and the wheel gap isn't as bad as it looks. I agree, the picture in the dark makes it look bad. I'll try to remember to take a pic of them sometime this weekend.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #153
Lithandril

Drives: Asphalt fr-s 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey_dogg View Post

cheers

My advice is before you order from costco.ca is to go to a costco with a tire shop and ask them what # goes on the frs. They do have a book in store that says which # is for our cars, but they do not carry it in store
Lithandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #154
Enemies

Yeah, I didn't think of doing that for the FR-S, but I did ask for the BRZ and while the BRZ was listed in their book the data in those fields were missing.