follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #1485
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
You can get a certified pre-owned 370Z for about the same money as an FR-S/BRZ, which carries a warranty that is just as good, maybe better than the ones the twins carry. Nothing silly about comparing these two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyankeefan View Post
It will be interesting to see if Nissan decide to go in a different direction with the new Z.
As long as they keep the basic principles: front engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seater, standard manual transmission with optional automatic. I hope they make it lighter and maybe a little more efficient, perhaps through direct injection. I wonder how the automatic fans would feel if Nissan offered a CVT in the next Z...

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1486
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I wonder how the automatic fans would feel if Nissan offered a CVT in the next Z...
Continuously violated, technically.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (09-25-2012), shadoquad (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #1487
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
LOL. I actually don't mind CVT for a non-performance car. The new Impreza and Legacy both use them, and they're not bad. You can put them in manual mode and get 6 pre-selected ratios for a more performance feel, not that I've tried the manual mode. Can't argue with 30+mpg in an all-wheel-drive car, though. That was previously unheard of in an Impreza/Legacy!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #1488
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Maxima and Altima have CVT. I have a buddy that drives his Max like a bat outta hell, and the CVT is his lone complaint with the car. Although the new 4-banger altima with CVT gets 37mpg.

I'd like to see them stay with the current tranny or the GTR's DCT, but we'll see. Doesn't matter much to me anyway, since I'm a 3-pedal addict.

shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1489
madoka

Drives: 1995 Nissan Maxima
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
I'd like to see them stay with the current tranny or the GTR's DCT, but we'll see.
The transmission in the GT-R is NOT pleasant or smooth and sounds like an old groaning clunker.
madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #1490
crazyyankeefan

Drives: 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-86 View Post
That's odd, I usually see at least one 370z everyday.. Though, I do see more 350s than 370s..
That's odd to me as well. I hardly see one on daily basis. There're definitely more 350 and 370 on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
You can get a certified pre-owned 370Z for about the same money as an FR-S/BRZ, which carries a warranty that is just as good, maybe better than the ones the twins carry. Nothing silly about comparing these two.

As long as they keep the basic principles: front engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seater, standard manual transmission with optional automatic. I hope they make it lighter and maybe a little more efficient, perhaps through direct injection. I wonder how the automatic fans would feel if Nissan offered a CVT in the next Z...
The two cars have very similar dimension. Although some people may argue they aim for different group of customers, I personally disagree on that. When people shop for an "affordable" performance sports car, it doesn't matter for a college student, a young professional, or a mid-age man, these two cars would both be on the list to consider. For instance, I'm a young professional myself, and I would definitely consider the 86 if it had come out a yr earlier when the Z was pretty much the only choice I had then.

There have been rumors that the next Z will be downsized into turbo 4-cylinder and also lighter for sure. I'm not sure about the CVT on a sports car. CVT can't handle the torque like regular auto though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
The transmission in the GT-R is NOT pleasant or smooth and sounds like an old groaning clunker.
Really? That's not what I have seen from most reviews. Most reviewers stated the GT-R transmission is very smooth and the car feels very powerful in every gear.
crazyyankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #1491
PRO Import Tuners

Drives: Multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
That's not true. On the DBA GT-Rs (2012+), the tranny is very smooth and works great even at low speeds (when it's at operating temperature). It feels good in all gears. The only sounds you really hear are when it downshifts automatically when coming to a stop, or when you change into Drive or Reverse. In those instances, you do hear a bit of clunking, but it is not that audible.
PRO Import Tuners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #1492
madoka

Drives: 1995 Nissan Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO Import Tuners View Post
That's not true. On the DBA GT-Rs (2012+), the tranny is very smooth and works great even at low speeds (when it's at operating temperature). It feels good in all gears. The only sounds you really hear are when it downshifts automatically when coming to a stop, or when you change into Drive or Reverse. In those instances, you do hear a bit of clunking, but it is not that audible.
One drive in my 2013, and you'll know you're wrong. It sounds and feels like crap. A lot of new owners say the same thing and the response is that it's part of the car's character. It's always been an issue and has not been resolved regardless of what Nissan says. Check for example what Edmunds said here:

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/gt-r/2013/road-test.html

"Speaking of the GT-R's six-speed dual-clutch transmission, it's been dinged from Day 1 for its noise and clunkiness. The engineers addressed the noise issue with a stiffer shift fork arm and a stronger fixing bearing for the flywheel housing. They also made motorsports-level differential oil standard.

If there's a difference, it's barely perceptible. There's still a decent amount of clatter from the transmission, and it can still be clunky, especially in stop-and-go traffic, in full Automatic mode."
madoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanboi, lame