follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #127
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
It was funny when Vettel got booed by the crowd in the post race interview with David Coulthard.
They were booing the Green Peace activists trying to deploy banners in front of the podium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Another boring win for Vettel. Another example that he's only good when he doesn't have to deal with cars around. He's a great time attacker and has been gifted Newey's godly engineering, but he only really does well in clean air. Alonso on the other hand drove the balls off his Ferrari and took himself from 9th to 2nd. In Hungary, Vettel couldn't make a pass to save his damn life.
Hungary is notoriously boring, everyone knows it is impossible to overtake (much like Valencia or Monaco) whereas Spa is one of the last tracks where you can see overtakes without DRS (i.e. Vettel's pass on Ham or Alonso's incredible pass on Ham, again).

Also, you might remember epic races such as Abu Dhabi in '12, where Vettel started from the pitlane to finish 3rd.
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #128
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
And the Ferraris can't qualy for squat, but Alonso sticks its nose deep in there during the race...
Not to mention 7 points difference between 2010 and 2012 combined and Alonso would be a 4-time champion with Vettel sitting on one. Sebastian is a great driver but he is NOT a good racer. He struggles in traffic, struggles with passing, and only has great success when he doesn't have to deal with anyone else. The only time he successfully navigated up the field was Abu Dhabi 2012, but only because he started from the pits, allowing himself to tweak his aero for passing (all other cars unchanged from quali), and had safety cars to help him by bunching up the field. Alonso fights for every position he gets.

7 points, and he'd be four time winner, while Vettel holds on to his fluke engineering single win in '11.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #129
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
They were booing the Green Peace activists trying to deploy banners in front of the podium.

Hungary is notoriously boring, everyone knows it is impossible to overtake (much like Valencia or Monaco) whereas Spa is one of the last tracks where you can see overtakes without DRS (i.e. Vettel's pass on Ham or Alonso's incredible pass on Ham, again).

Also, you might remember epic races such as Abu Dhabi in '12, where Vettel started from the pitlane to finish 3rd.
Hamilton lifted and gifted Vettel an easier pass. Granted he likely would have been passed anyway, learning that info makes it sound much less impressive.

Other cars had no problem passing. Just Vettel. He couldn't even get by Button after a dozen laps, while the rest of the field walked past him.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #130
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
7 points, and he'd be four time winner, while Vettel holds on to his fluke engineering single win in '11.
You do realise that if Alonso got those titles, it'd most likely be with an equivalent tiny margin? The points are the points, whoever has more gets the title there is no arguing.

Massa got robbed of his title by Ham only because Toyota screwed up Glock's strategy in Brazil in '08. Does he deserve this title he didn't get too or is it just fashionable to bash on Vettel's supposed inability to overtake?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #131
cfusionpm

Garage
Vettel wins because of his car. I'm sure if Alonso had Newey's genius engineering behind him, he'd walk away with an easy championship too. But instead he's been fighting for contention with an inferior car and bad luck. Had Grojean not taken him out in Spa and Kimi in Suzuka, that's another potential 50 points for someone who lost by 3. Not to mention Schumacher and others putting up no fight against Vettel in Brazil.

Seb is a good driver no doubt, but his strengths are taking a faster car through clean air. Not fighting for positions though traffic in a slower one.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #132
Guillaume

Had Vettel's alternators not failed him in Valencia and Monza, those hypothetical 50 points for Alonso wouldn't have been much help. They both had their fair share of bad luck last year.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #133
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I believe that Freddy, Kimi & Hamilton are the best when attacking.

No doubt Seb's a great driver, but I don't believe he could wheel a Ferrari like Freddy can to get the same results...

My .02...
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTB/ZR-1 For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (08-26-2013), rice_classic (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #134
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
Had Vettel's alternators not failed him in Valencia and Monza, those hypothetical 50 points for Alonso wouldn't have been much help. They both had their fair share of bad luck last year.
Those are internal problems, the fault of RBR and their mechanics. A little different from a Lotus coming from nowhere flying over your nose or another Lotus smacking you on the rear. I guess I have a little more sympathy for something totally out of Ferrari's control. RBR has no one to blame but themselves for mechanical problems.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #135
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Spa = :yawn:
Old 08-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #136
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
Anyone hear the noise of the new V6 turbos for next year?...If not there is an article on Autoblog which gives a preview. It's not the best preview but I didn't like it. I really don't understand the need to switch the current set-up...I am all about eco-friendliness but come on it's the freakin' pinnacle of motorsports! There should be certain things that shouldn't be sacrificed for a little better MPG...what do you guys think?
Agree. Indycar lost something with their switch to a V-6 that sounds like a pickup truck motor even though they're faster than ever with other changes.

There's nothing like the exhaust note of an 8, 10 or 12 cylinder F1 engine on the limit. I can understand displacement limits but give the chassis and engine builders free reign to package whatever they choose.

But, despite the deep pocket Toyota debacle, it's about cost containment = standardization. As Hobbs said last weekend, F1 management absorbs over half the revenue generated so the B teams need to make do with buying crate motors to survive and they're actually doing pretty well at it.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #137
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I was disappointed that Kimi's front brakes failed and had to retire from the race. Every1's getting sick of looking at Vettel's face at the pole.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZetaVI For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-06-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #138
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVI View Post
I was disappointed that Kimi's front brakes failed and had to retire from the race. Every1's getting sick of looking at Vettel's face at the pole.
So disappointing especially since his LF was pouring out dust at Bus Stop Lap 1. It was only a matter of time until he retired, putting his shot at the Championship in jeopardy.

Yeah, Vettel takes his shots and say what we will, his ability to open a gap beyond DRS activation on the opening laps on cold tires demands respect.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #139
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
So disappointing especially since his LF was pouring out dust at Bus Stop Lap 1. It was only a matter of time until he retired, putting his shot at the Championship in jeopardy.

Yeah, Vettel takes his shots and say what we will, his ability to open a gap beyond DRS activation on the opening laps on cold tires demands respect.
I give Adrian Newey more credit than Vettel. If you have a car as amazing on aero and as kind on the tires as his RB9, it's hard NOT to go fast. I mean the guy was running practically NO rear wing and still held better apex speeds than anyone else running twice as much wing....

And sucks for Kimi... I like him a lot. In fact I like all three of the "others" a lot (Alo/Ham/Rai). Problem is they keep taking points away from EACH OTHER while Vettel walks away with the rest. :/

Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #140
SilverCard

Drives: 2002 EP3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice to see a thread about Formula 1!
SilverCard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis