follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #127
snowtaipan

Drives: '17 BRZ Series Yellow Edelbrock SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
That’s the thing. An intermittent code either immediately goes away if the problem is corrected, or it goes away after a drive cycle. A serious CEL usually comes on with the red warning lamp. A cleared code that doesn’t return when the car starts is a soft code, but it will return if the issue arises again or if the engine goes through the full drive cycle, but didn’t meet the standards.

His issue sounds like a soft code. I don’t know if the problem returns when he just idles it for a while or only if he gets on power or rarer, but if it doesn’t return immediately when the car starts then he should be able to capture the moment the CEL comes on when doing a log then you could assess what the conditions were exactly like at that moment.
The codes I have come on after to drive cycle. There not soft codes.
P0171/0170/117b all have 3 things in common: HP injectors, HPF fuel system, and ECM

All three DTCs are based off STFT+LTFT+(AFR lambda-some other thing) =+20%

Because the codes showing do and pi faults, and since I can see in the logs both are working, the common variable is the ECM ergo the tune
snowtaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowtaipan For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-03-2020), Irace86.2.0 (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #128
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,617 Times in 18,980 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I was advised by Zach when he was at DT that my DI seals could be going out based on my logs, so I replaced them.
Now that I reviewed your pics, I remember seeing them when you first posted. They were fine then too but I didn't want to shit on an otherwise excellent job.

A scaled-up version of a similar failure was that shuttle SRB. The time between initial breach and catastrophic failure is almost zero.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #129
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,070 Times in 778 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
i sent him a corrected tune for his edelbrock, based on a edelbrock oem tune
i'm positive it will be better but let s wait for some logs

my vague opinion, if it turns out it was the tune as i thought, is that Edelbrock is usinga maf scaling done on a older car
And the K00C calibration has no enrichment under 0.33 bar absolute, per Engine Load Compensation #1 table
So during overrun and at the sloppy 650rpm idle, the ecu collects a lot of positive fuel trims

It also doesn t help that he is constantly in low atm pressure location.. if the ecu sees less than 0,9bar as atmosferic pressure, lot of airflow and engine load calculation reduction happens..
His car is seeing lower engine load and MAP values than the usual car who runs at near 1bar of atm pressure

the dtc's are absolutely 100% from of the high trims, and not from something else.. sometimes in your logs I saw a total of +55%
Just transiently, but it is definitely enough to trigger those lean and injectors code

Last edited by tomm.brz; 05-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-03-2020), Irace86.2.0 (05-03-2020), kev0 (05-03-2020), Ultramaroon (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #130
snowtaipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
i sent him a corrected tune for his edelbrock, based on a edelbrock oem tune
i'm positive it will be better but let s wait for some logs

my vague opinion, if it turns out it was the tune as i thought, is that Edelbrock is usinga maf scaling done on a older car
And the K00C calibration has no enrichment under 0.33 bar absolute, per Engine Load Compensation #1 table
So during overrun and at the sloppy 650rpm idle, the ecu collects a lot of positive fuel trims

It also doesn t help that he is constantly in low atm pressure location.. if the ecu sees less than 0,9bar as atmosferic pressure, lot of airflow and engine load calculation reduction happens..
His car is seeing lower engine load and MAP values than the usual car who runs at near 1bar of atm pressure

the dtc's are absolutely 100% from of the high trims, and not from something else.. sometimes in your logs I saw a total of +55%
Just transiently, but it is definitely enough to trigger those lean and injectors code
So I do have a tune question; the USDM models use an atmo sensor in/near the fuel tank for some reason. I think all others are using the TMAP or something. Do you think it will cause issues?

Yeah some of my total trims were insane. Manual says the whole series of faults use the same formula [Air fuel ratio sensor short term fuel trim + air fuel ratio sensor long term fuel trim + (measured lambda - target lambda)] and based on outcome it sets the code. Just STFT+LTFT was often 50+ at idle, and I don't see any reason why.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #131
snowtaipan

Sorry, not much of a video guy, you'll see lol
Old 05-04-2020, 01:41 AM   #132
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtaipan View Post
So I do have a tune question; the USDM models use an atmo sensor in/near the fuel tank for some reason. I think all others are using the TMAP or something. Do you think it will cause issues?
No, don t worry no issues
in fact, in usdm cars it s possible to force flash Euro tunes and it works perfectly

usdm uses a sensor in the CPC system, if repurposed or deleted then it is possible to switch to the same mode as Euro cars, using the MAP
But it needs a recent racerom version, the version in your edelbrock's tune doesn t have this particular option
Actually yoy would benefit from this switch as in your logs the atm pressure is erratic, but the ecu uses anyway the manifold absolute pressure to make those compensation I told you about some posts ago so no big worry

it s really not a big deal to have a bit an erratic atmo pressure value, for turbos is more essential

Last edited by tomm.brz; 05-04-2020 at 02:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
snowtaipan (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #133
snowtaipan

So I'm seeing what looks like a second bypass valve port on the right side of the compressor. It matches up with the BPV on the left side, 2 screw holes and an unthreaded hole that goes in. Is it supposed to be there?

Edit, not an issue
Attached Images

Last edited by snowtaipan; 05-04-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 05-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #134
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtaipan View Post
So I'm seeing what looks like a second bypass valve port on the right side of the compressor. It matches up with the BPV on the left side, 2 screw holes and an unthreaded hole that goes in. Is it supposed to be there?
I would suspect that port may be used in other applications, just not on ours. Mine has the same thing and it's 3 years old.
Time to take a chill pill man, your going to drive yourself nuts. @tomm.brz has you on the right track.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
snowtaipan (05-04-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #135
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
How's the condition of the orange manifold gaskets?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #136
snowtaipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
How's the condition of the orange manifold gaskets?
Both manifold gaskets look fine, they weren't pinched or cut, still pliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
I would suspect that port may be used in other applications, just not on ours. Mine has the same thing and it's 3 years old.
Time to take a chill pill man, your going to drive yourself nuts. @tomm.brz has you on the right track.
Exactly right, that same assembly is used on jeeps. Apparently it's plugged inside, I checked and didn't get any air through it. And I went crazy a few weeks ago lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowtaipan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-05-2020), Ultramaroon (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #137
snowtaipan

Well I'm going to run a final set of tests on the HPFS, I'll post the results, and then I'm going to reassemble everything, hopefully complete by the end of the day. I have some work that's screwing up my schedule so by the weekend I will hopefully be up with a few more test drives and logs.

Edelbrock is sending a new air filter, maybe that will be the fix but I don't see it as likely.

My plan is to verify all mu ECUTEK software is updated, reflash the Edelbrock tune, and if that still trims high swap it for tomm.brz's and see what that does.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowtaipan For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-05-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #138
snowtaipan

SITREP
So after poking around I decided that my HPFS was fine, none of the symptomology matched.

I got the new air filter from edelbrock on friday.

Today I hung everything, double checked it, and using the edelbrock tune started it up. To my shock, it continued to trim at 39.8 for LTFT. I double checked all my work, and logged a second startup. Still maxed LTFT.

I tried the tune with some alterations, the proof is in the logs.

Does anyone have a good contact at edelbrock? I'm planning to run a few more tests but I need to talk with someone to either fix their tune or refund me my money for their canned tune.

I'm also uploading all my logs in a .zip, in case anyone wants to peruse them.LOGS.zip

edelbrock tune, stationary
https://datazap.me/u/snowtaipan/2020...g=0&data=6-8-9

fixed tunedrive test
https://datazap.me/u/snowtaipan/20200509?log=1&data=2

Last edited by snowtaipan; 05-09-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: redacted FOUO information
Old 05-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #139
tomm.brz

it was just the maf scaling
if you notice now during warm idle it uses around 8-9uL of fuel and MAF reads 2.38... you have no leak, only bad tune

i just rescaled it quickly arbitrary in the lower end without even looking at actual values in logs and zeroed the Engine Load compensation table, nothing more, it takes 5 minutes to make that tune usable on restyling cars...anyway the low atmospheric pressure helped reaching the trigger limit for LTFT
Probabkly if you were at sea level, you wouldnt get the dtc and limp mode

it's still not good that tune overrall, I wouldn't waste time with it
it got a super weird old racerom that you can't even remove, and not a single ecutek advantage in used in this tune
you would do best by doing a retune from scratch, it would go so much faster and better than now

Last edited by tomm.brz; 05-09-2020 at 07:16 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-09-2020), Irace86.2.0 (05-11-2020), snowtaipan (05-09-2020), Ultramaroon (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #140
snowtaipan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
it was just the maf scaling
if you notice now during warm idle it uses around 8-9uL of fuel and MAF reads 2.38... you have no leak, only bad tune

i just rescaled it quickly arbitrary in the lower end without even looking at actual values in logs and zeroed the Engine Load compensation table, nothing more, it takes 5 minutes to make that tune usable on restyling cars...anyway the low atmospheric pressure helped reaching the trigger limit for LTFT
Probabkly if you were at sea level, you wouldnt get the dtc and limp mode

it's still not good that tune overrall, I wouldn't waste time with it
it got a super weird old racerom that you can't even remove, and not a single ecutek advantage in used in this tune
you would do best by doing a retune from scratch, it would go so much faster and better than now
Here are the two logs after the fix. Its actually trimming on the negative side a bit. I think if it got 10 minutes of work it would be almost decent
https://datazap.me/u/snowtaipan/2020...e?log=0&data=3
https://datazap.me/u/snowtaipan/20200509?log=1&data=2

I'm a bit shocked that the tune was the issue. Edelbrock has such an excellent reputation, but for their tune to throw MILs right out of the gate, and someone can patch it in 5 minutes...

I hope everyone else can weigh in, but I plan to try to get Edelbrock to fix this. I will keep everyone posted.

Until further updates, at least it can !!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to snowtaipan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-11-2020)

Tags
edelbrock, p0171, p117b, supercharger