follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #127
prest1ge

Drives: VW, 2013 subaru brz limited swp 6mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
I'll fill everyone in while Jason is driving the car up to me

The bigger header made more power. A good amount more power. It filled in the evil torque void even more, and with header, overpipe/downpipe, and catback, the whole system made 21whp over stock and 15wtq over stock, with 11-15wtq gains in the evil torque valley.

The valley isn't 100% filled in. But... I am guessing that tuning can get it the rest of the way there.

Jason is also switching the car back to the stock midpipe (front half of the catback) because they are pretty sure that part doesn't make any real power. He has some amazing ideas on some improvements to the system (already... these guys are constantly improving their design) and as he said, all customers who ordered the catted downpipe that haven't had it shipped yet will get the new design that integrates the overpipe section into it. Free of charge for existing orders. Amazing. two upgrades in one, with a better flow design.

So for right now, the car will have the larger headers on it (they are wrapped at this time), downpipe, and axleback. I'll take it to Pacific Raceways tomorrow. After a few more days with the car, I'll hand it back over to Jason to see if the car has made any more power with ECU adjustments over time, like we saw with the axleback/downpipe combo.

I can't thank Jason and John, and all the guys at Nameless enough. Constant improvement on their designs, and they are fully backing every single development part they put on my car.

They will be working on catless parts next week, from what Jason is saying.

I'm sure Jason will chime in with the dyno graphs, better explanations, and findings tomorrow AM, like he says- but I hope this tides you guys over until then
been following your posts regarding nameless parts very closely. thanks to you and the nameless guys for keeping us so informed during the R&D stage. can you please upload a new video of what the exhaust currently sounds like?
prest1ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #128
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prest1ge View Post
been following your posts regarding nameless parts very closely. thanks to you and the nameless guys for keeping us so informed during the R&D stage. can you please upload a new video of what the exhaust currently sounds like?
You got it. Probably will take some vid tomorrow and have it posted up tomorrow night or saturday of the sound with the headers.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #129
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
P.S. Can you log Knock sum? I know that the ecu is proactive, not reactive, so it maybe attempting to learn the best tracing locations within the maps, overreacting, knocking, and pulling timing...
Well, that answered my question about the ECU.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #130
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tainen, you're going to be at PR tomorrow? What time and you mind if I swing by check things out?
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #131
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
yeah, with the BMW club, doing the car control clinic. I'll do some slow laps on the big boy track at lunch, too. Not sure what time I'll have breaks in between the different clinic activities though. I'm just re-freshing the car control clinic cert on my drivers log with this new car, so I'll be all set for HPDEs next month. Feel free to come by and at least watch! And catch me between excercises.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #132
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
And you have Hawk HP+ Brake Pads now. Kept your stockers to put em back on next week. HP+ are pretty hardcore for the street for some people, but that 'Stop in the box' exercise is going to be cake for you now!!

J
Really??? They just dust a bunch, nothing hardcore 'bout them!

I am excited for further results and product releases! Insert "shut up and take my money.jpg" here.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #133
Pseud0logik

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
the whole system made 21whp over stock and 15wtq over stock, with 11-15wtq gains in the evil torque valley.
Those are fantastic gains. Exciting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Really??? They just dust a bunch, nothing hardcore 'bout them!
The HP+ pads are pretty noisy, personally I don't like my brake pads to squeal. The HPS pads are nice and quiet though, and dust less than stock pads in my experience.
Pseud0logik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #134
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
I knew I should have ordered the downpipe lol oh well

Looking forward to graphs and videos and more testing next week
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #135
DrDuquette

Drives: 2013 Premium White, 2006 TL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Gotta admit, between Nameless really being transparent with their entire process of designing and releasing a product... even admitting what they don't know or have yet to figure out... it is really nice. Initially I was thinking I was going to be using Perrin as much as possible but your guys prices are awesome and I really like how you are pushing forward quickly without even a hint of compromising the actual design and testing of the product. 12 hp from the down pipe and cat back! I am hoping for close to 30hp with a full header, down pipe, and cat back. One question... how long till there is a cat less header? Would having just a cat in the down pipe, none in the header be better? or a cat-less down pipe with a cat in the header be better? I'm excited to see those header dyno graphs!
I would have to agree!! Excellent work from them!! Keep it up
DrDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #136
jedibow
post whore extraordinaire

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Grey FR-S 2003 Evo 8
Garage
Jason,

I had another idea last night...

With the adaptive ECU,s in the Lexus IS250 you have to disconnect the battery, reconnect the battery and let the car idle for two minutes after you change VE within the engine, this puts the ECU in self learning mode, maybe you could try this while at the dyno?

George
jedibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #137
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
So the over pipe won't work for us in RHD??

Will u do 1 version for us?
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #138
WillieRX
Mountain Road Recon

Drives: '06 Subaru WRX TR
Will yall be doing a ceramic coat option on the header(s)?
WillieRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #139
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
This thread is full of winning.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to denkigrve For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #140
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
The problem is, as we are adding the axleback, midpipe, overpipe/downpipe combo (new design that we are shipping at no extra charge to the people who have already ordered the downpipe), we're pretty certain that the car is pulling something to deal with the more harsh conditions. It's just like everything flattens off.
This has been seen on other dynos. It's been postulated, and seems very likely IMO, that the ECU in these cars is similar to the one in GM's Solstice and Sky in that it can monitor torque output in some way and will adjust accordingly to maintain stock levels. It's thought this was done to reduce warranty claims.

If this is what is happening, then it looks like bolt-on gains will be minimal until ECU tuning is brought into the equation.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag