follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #225
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
So besides the vortech tune, what else is not included in the tuner kit? Any fuel components the complete kit has that the tuner kit doesn't? sorry if this has been answered already.
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #226
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryljr11 View Post
So besides the vortech tune, what else is not included in the tuner kit? Any fuel components the complete kit has that the tuner kit doesn't? sorry if this has been answered already.
The Tuner Kit does not include the Ecutek cable, license, or production Vortech tune. No fuel components are required with the kit, or required to be purchased separately.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
Darryljr11 (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #227
tg_1981

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I just want to thank Brian over @ Vortech for the excellent customer service and the quick turn around on shipping me out the new blower. I appreciate all you have done.
tg_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tg_1981 For This Useful Post:
Brian@Vortech (04-08-2013), Pete (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #228
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
The Tuner Kit does not include the Ecutek cable, license, or production Vortech tune. No fuel components are required with the kit, or required to be purchased separately.
Can I get the tuner kit with just the Ecutek license and Vortech tune?
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #229
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Directly from Vortech, we offer the system either as a Complete System or as a Tuner Kit. The Complete System comes with absolutely everything you'll need, including the Ecutek cable, license, 2.5 BAR MAP sensor and tune. The Tuner Kit is meant for someone sourcing their tuning elsewhere, and does not include the Ecutek cable, license, 2.5 BAR MAP sensor or tune, and requires that they be sourced separately.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
Huehuecoyotl (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #230
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Let me see if I can add here without adding confusion:

I got the complete system from Vortech, and the Vortech factory tune is perfect for the driver who will be very 'done' at the systems 9psi/240ish whp point.

I also run the Perrin tune, as I track my car, am a bit of a nut job enthusiast running around with 9,10,12 and who knows what boost level, my car is pretty heavily modded and I enjoy the variety of pulleys I can get from Perrin as a tester, and suspect he will offer more than one pulley to his customers. His 9psi tune is a bit more aggressive up top feeling even compared to the Vortech 9psi,indeed it just a wee bit maybe but makes more power, but may also use a MPG more, that or maybe it is just my right foot. This power level is a tad more serious, it can be really fun, and exceeds that factory like balance by just enough to make you want to flick your tail, a bit devilishly, in a really good naughty sorta way. Its not CARB, last I checked. Not night an day, but a few extra ponies never hurt. great to track and commute with, so that doesnt really help does it...more power biased, IMHO. It packs all the features and Perrin will custom set the parameters and maps as you like, that is a bit more what you get from a tuner kit, tuner services. he can also disable racerom gizmos and keep it stealthy. I have the 10psi pulley on my car as a tester. It works really really well. 10 is better than 9. maps for more than one fuel octane, 91 and 92 and he may be working on a 93 too, IDK. Stockish with TWO plus signs! ++

With Vortech tune, the thing feels VERY factory, its not as aggressive up top, the 3.48 pulley is both easy on the cars motor, vs smaller pulleys and feels economical balanced with power equally. This tune only works with the 3.48 supplied. It works really really well. Also the more air and boost I build, the lower my MPGs get, so for the consumer who wants to keep MPG in perspective and get boost, stop building at 9psi, I think the Vortech complete kit is just perfect as it give power, efficiency, a VERY factory feeling tune, CARB, and its a perfect end point solution. Its so perfect at the power level its at I feel bad telling folks to buy this system, I like Perrin alot, but this is perfect for someone who will be done at 9psi, and trust me there is no good reason for more power than this level. Its like Vortech found that perfect balance before things get chaotic, it doesnt quite push the clutch and yet is so peppy. great to track and commute with, so that doesnt really help does it...its more MPG biased,IMHO. I dont know if its changed, but the Vortech tune didnt have all the racerom things, some I like, some I find very annoying like blip shifts. It leaves the car more powerful yet feeling factory in an awesome way. Very stealthy, complete and VERY simple. they arent a tuner shop, so this is bets for someone who doesnt want a bunch of toys and gadgets programmed into their car like launch control, traction control from ecutek, multi map, flat foot shifting, blip shift, custom idle settings etc. makes perrin perfect for drivers who like to keep modding, because racecar, and Vortech perfect for drivers who want to be done at 9psi, and daily drive it with no further modding past that boost level planned, 9psi is alot, one map to keep it all simple, 91 and up will all work fine,way way better than stock yet feels very stockish with a plus. +

Look at this way, you can ONLY buy the Vortech Tune from Vortech as part of the complete kit

You can buy the Perrin tune from Perrin a la carte, and do so anytime. And increase your boost past 9psi at that time if you choose or not.
I mean youre spending this much, you can have both tunes for a bit more if you want, buy the Complete kit from Vortech, gets you daily tune, Carb Sticker. Get the Perrin tune, gets you power for 'off road use'(ehm californians) and gives you a tune with all the toys. buying both gives you the most choices and joy.

Says the guy with 2 BRZs...

Last edited by Huehuecoyotl; 04-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huehuecoyotl For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (04-09-2013), juliog (04-08-2013), mad_sb (04-19-2013), Pablitomarrero (04-08-2013), Sonolin (04-09-2013), TRD_07 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #231
ohday

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpilun View Post
Awesome. Can you guys offer a MAF extension harness? I'm sure if you sold them separately, many of us would pay the extra money to have it. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
We are looking into the possibility, yes.

I'm very interested in this as well. I know it's probably much to early to say, but do you know when a decision would be made as to whether the MAF extension harness will be made?

Can you educate me on the CARB certification? As I understand CARB is a California agency. How does CARB certification affect or play a role in other states? Is the complete kit currently street legal in all states other than California? If not, will it become street legal once certification is given?

Thanks!
ohday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #232
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohday View Post
I'm very interested in this as well. I know it's probably much to early to say, but do you know when a decision would be made as to whether the MAF extension harness will be made?

Can you educate me on the CARB certification? As I understand CARB is a California agency. How does CARB certification affect or play a role in other states? Is the complete kit currently street legal in all states other than California? If not, will it become street legal once certification is given?

Thanks!
So the short story on CARB (California Air Resource Board) is that it is a California agency but a surprisingly growing number of other states are choosing to use (adopt) CARB standards and approvals as their standards and approval reference.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #233
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Gem, could you do us a favor and do an OBD2 scan for emissions "readyness" The reason I ask this, is because CARB certification is great for avoiding tickets in CA, but getting an actual inspection sticker is something else to worry about. I'm sure people don't want to have to remove the kit and reflash to stock every year just to get a sticker. I'm hoping the tune allows you to bring the car straight to the shop, have them hook up the reader, and pass emissions.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #234
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
never done this before, what am flag or entry am I looking for? MA is a carb state?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #235
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
never done this before, what am flag or entry am I looking for? MA is a carb state?
Well most OBD2 scanners have a DTC/Readyness scan which will tell you if all the sensors for emissions are working correctly and in a passable ("complete") state. If you have an Android phone, Torque also does this as well.

After 50-100 miles on an ECU reset, all of these sensors should be in a passable state. If they aren't, then the tune has disabled or fudged one of the readings, making it impossible to get an emissions sticker without flashing back to stock.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #236
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
I can check but really this sounds like a better official answer could be had from @Brian@Vortech or @PERRIN_Jeff
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #237
2forme

Garage
Perhaps, but let us know your results anyway
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (04-09-2013), Huehuecoyotl (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #238
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Garage
will do..