follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #211
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik1987 View Post
LOL
Even though this portion of the discussion may be over -- I would like to open this back up and say that this is a major fail
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #212
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I am not trolling or trying to be rude, but I want to know how it is any different than putting a Toyota badge on. They are just pieces of plastic. Who cars? My MR2 has an Autobots logo on it and some people think it's dumb or over done and others love it. Let bygones be bygones. Personally on that black FR-S I think it does suit the car. Looks like a Lexus guy designed it. Not a Toyota or Subaru designer. But again, Who cares? Just my thought on the matter
Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #213
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryDS View Post
Even though this portion of the discussion may be over -- I would like to open this back up and say that this is a major fail
I actually think it looks kinda cool. Very fitting somehow.

To anyone who's badge-swapped an Asphalt/DGM, did you notice any color fade when you took off the badges? Mine's been daily driven and parked outside for the past 3 months. I am still considering Toyota badges, but if I've missed the window to do it, then I won't.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #214
tdoggy57

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post

To anyone who's badge-swapped an Asphalt/DGM, did you notice any color fade when you took off the badges? Mine's been daily driven and parked outside for the past 3 months. I am still considering Toyota badges, but if I've missed the window to do it, then I won't.
There was a little most noticeably after taking the FRS badge off. My detailer simply used some compound and it looked great
Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #215
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoggy57 View Post
There was a little most noticeably after taking the FRS badge off. My detailer simply used some compound and it looked great
That's good to hear. I'm not really familiar with compounds or detailing though. Do you know which specific product he used?
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #216
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Quote:

Did mine myself about 3 weeks ago. Haven't noticed any remaining outline. I used simple green as well as goo gone after removing the badge.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #217
CamryDS

Garage
There's always going to be a slight outline on your car afterwards, but that's mostly the adhesive left over. Clean it up and a few weeks you'll never know that it was there in the first place, just be careful when you pull it out the first time -- hot sunny day is your best friend in this matter.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #218
CamryDS

Garage
Quote:

I can see if you put a toyota badge because it's common sense if you want to really rebadge the car as it's original root maker. There's a certain purpose for this - almost like paying homage.

Even though Lexus is part of toyota, if you're going to re-badge the car at least have it make some sense.

I'm not hatting, but I think it's just silly. Though if the owner likes it, based on the fact that badges are pretty perm unless you take the time to remove them, they are free to do what they want. I just think it's really silly.

to each their own.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #219
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Lexus badge on scion is like a cadillac badge on a geo. dont do it. Frs or not. Just. Say. No.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #220
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Did the swap today finally, after having the badges sitting on my desk for a month.

The rear came off with literally no goop. I just polished it up with a microfiber cloth and put the new badge on.

The front was an entirely different story altogether. Required a slew of Goo Gone and furious elbow grease. to get clear. The end result looks perfect though.

One thing I did notice when I was taking off the FR-S logo, is that filing the badge off with floss was kinda pointless, I eventually just crammed the $5 tint squeegee I got from AutoZone and kinda sawed through the goop until I could gently pry the thing off. Worked like a champ. Did both of the actual Scion badges this way.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #221
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
What do you guys think about painting the Scion symbol to black? I have a red FR-S and I tinted all my windows so it would somewhat compliment it.. Idk just an idea so far..

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #222
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I did mine today, I noticed no difference in color change on the back, but on the front, the area exposed while the badge was on faded into some weird greenish shade? My car doesn't park out in the sun all that much either. But either way when the Toyota badge is on you won't notice a thing so no worries. I've had my car for a almost 10 months now.

Also, using a squeegie helped a LOT! I heated it quite a bit and couldn't get floss to cut into the badge with ease so I just slid a squeegie in and it went through effortlessly and no scratch on paint! thanks @DarrenDriven
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #223
L3P47

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Will hopefully be doing removing and painting this week.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #224
CamryDS

Garage
fishing line is 4-5 dollars for a HUGE amount -- hell if anyone is in the bay area that wants to do this and need fishing line let me know -- I got plenty left and I can give out some free.

I'd do fishing line because it's plastic, no wedging -- clear cutting across as long as you pull out and across, it should have no problems pulling the emblems out.

i snapped off the plastic pins in the front of the scion emblem, but i don't care about that -- total time for each emblem was about 10 mins max since i did it on a rainy day, but if you do it on a sunny day, should be 5 min max.

Tags
teq emblem