follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
AsphaltLover

Drives: 2006 Scion TC, 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
picked up this set of focals via amazon and they sound fantastic.
Focal Access 165 A3 6.5-Inch 3-Way Component Speaker Kit

Had to get a set of 1" spacers from one of the other board members to fit the 6.5s in though.
AsphaltLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, I wasn't personally looking for advice. I was looking to see what other people are running and give us a central thread to kind of list off what component sets we like. Speakers are extremely subjective and what sounds good to one may not sound good to another.

FYI I AM on DIYMA under the same screen name.

I was looking at running full active like I did in my 94 NA back in the day using a set of Boston Pro's 6 1/2's with a PDX4-150.

For my personal system I'd been looking at some of the compact amps out now. To my understanding PPI and Hertz are using the same internal components if DIYMA is to be trusted. I was thinking of using a Hertz HDC5 amp and using it to drive a set of Hertz HSK 163's. I was going to run the 6 1/2" driver full active and use the crossover to run the tweeter and mid. Wasn't sure about subs yet.

I do love Dyn quite a lot. But honestly, I think they're outside my price range and I'm getting to the point of deminishing returns. If I had an infinate budget, maybe a bunch of Audison gear but I have to be realistic about things.
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Well, I wasn't personally looking for advice. I was looking to see what other people are running and give us a central thread to kind of list off what component sets we like. Speakers are extremely subjective and what sounds good to one may not sound good to another.

I was looking at running full active like I did in my 94 NA back in the day using a set of Boston Pro's 6 1/2's with a PDX4-150.

For my personal system I'd been looking at some of the compact amps out now. To my understanding PPI and Hertz are using the same internal components if DIYMA is to be trusted. I was thinking of using a Hertz HDC5 amp and using it to drive a set of Hertz HSK 163's. I was going to run the 6 1/2" driver full active and use the crossover to run the tweeter and mid. Wasn't sure about subs yet.

I do love Dyn quite a lot. But honestly, I think they're outside my price range and I'm getting to the point of deminishing returns. If I had an infinate budget, maybe a bunch of Audison gear but I have to be realistic about things.

You dont have to be realistic lol you can just save.

I have seen the ppi thing also, idk what to think they may be the same on the lower models may not be. To me it doesnt matter, if an amp works it works.

Looking forward to see your build and how it will turn out.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
stea1thbear

Drives: Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I also wanted to go 3 way active front only, no sub, if you find a feasible solution that works please post. The limiting factors seem to be getting large enough speakers in the FR-S doors while containing vibrations adequately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
stea1thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
wtout86

Drives: Whitout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
it really is like 95% budget 4% being able to get it installed correctly 5% taste, 5% speaker preference and 1% other stuff.
So your saying you got to give it 110% percent then?
wtout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wtout86 For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #20
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtout86 View Post
So your saying you got to give it 110% percent then?
Ain't nobody got time for that tho.

I do believe tho budget should be the first thing considered before even bothering to look for somthing tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stea1thbear View Post
I also wanted to go 3 way active front only, no sub, if you find a feasible solution that works please post. The limiting factors seem to be getting large enough speakers in the FR-S doors while containing vibrations adequately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
There are some speakers capable of providing a lot of midbass but the door is just a terrible enviroment to try to get a lot of output down low. I'm going to run a pair of Dayton RS180's and see how they do before adding a 10" sub in the trunk.

If i had more money i would run the Morel Virtus 603 3 way set i've seen them around 6-700 on ebay but they are around 900 from a dealer.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:

I was looking at the Hertz HDC5 also but was out of the budget. The PPI Phantom and Soundstream Nano use the same boards and i think some of the Polks do too. I actually like the look and specs of the Soundstream Nano but am going to run the RF Punch BRT amps, plenty of power in a tiny package and price tag.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Skippman

I used to run a couple of Soundstream Little Wonders back in the day and loved them. Looking at the specs I'd guess they're the same boards that are in the PPI and Hertz. Seems like a "Choose Your Own Chasis" kind of debate. I guess it really gets down to which amp has the crossover controls your looking for.

The more I think about the project the more I realize I've gotten caught up in "Out of the Box" solutions because that's what I've run in the past. Once you go full active your options open up quite a bit. I'm looking more and more at running a processor and picking the drivers ala carte based on location and frequency range.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
I used to run a couple of Soundstream Little Wonders back in the day and loved them. Looking at the specs I'd guess they're the same boards that are in the PPI and Hertz. Seems like a "Choose Your Own Chasis" kind of debate. I guess it really gets down to which amp has the crossover controls your looking for.

The more I think about the project the more I realize I've gotten caught up in "Out of the Box" solutions because that's what I've run in the past. Once you go full active your options open up quite a bit. I'm looking more and more at running a processor and picking the drivers ala carte based on location and frequency range.
Well if you run a DSP then all that matters on amps is power/ch you want and if its shiny enough for your lol.

I think these days a DSP and amp is the first thing you should do in car. I think that its what transforms the sound to the greatest extent.

*sigh* just realized why I was getting this thread confused with one on DIYMA.... they are both yours.

Last edited by cruzinbill; 02-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
im running focal 100 KRS on the dash with a Hertz mille 6.5 component sub (didnt use the Hertz tweeter, used the focal tweeter from the 100 KRS). All off of factory amps and HU. Sounds perfectly clear and I can turn the volume all the way up to full on the Fujistsu-Ten with no distortion. Also has plenty of volume and the Hertz give me enough bass, although adding a sub would add more, id prefer to just stick with what I have than add more weight.

Also did a similar set up in a customers car as described here:
http://hurleysautoaudio.blogspot.com...r-speaker.html
I'm all about doing the most with the least and this sounds perfect to me. I wish I was local to hear it. Roughly what did the upgraded speakers cost?

Also, if those 6.5" subs are efficient enough I might also consider mounting them in the quarter panels. The question I have is how are you controlling the crossover point? Via a passive crossover coil of some type?
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
I'm all about doing the most with the least and this sounds perfect to me. I wish I was local to hear it. Roughly what did the upgraded speakers cost?

Also, if those 6.5" subs are efficient enough I might also consider mounting them in the quarter panels. The question I have is how are you controlling the crossover point? Via a passive crossover coil of some type?
For mine (Focal KRS w/ Hertz ML1600) the parts retail for about 1k. I work at a car audio shop so I got a deal and got them installed free.(well I had to buy the guys who did it some pizza)

For my customers car with the Polyglass and pioneer type d speakers it was about 800-900 in parts plus labor for install.

No crossovers in the car, just connected to the factory wiring. IIRC the factory tweeter had a bass blocker on it which was run inline for the new tweeters.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flat Black VW For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-18-2015), RYU (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #27
topnotch

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In my FRS i am running the hertz esk 163l ( 3 way component ) active with two ten inch hertz energy series sub. My amps are the audison sr4 running the mids and tweets in the stock dash locations. Mids crossed at hp 400 hz up and tweeter at 7k hp. The mid bass is running off a hertz hp4 crossed between 80hz and 400hz. The Subs are crossed at 80 lp off the last two channels on the hertz amp. This system is decent. Its more of a sq set up than anything else. The speaker location in the FRS makes it hard to tune the vehicle properly. Too much rattling from door panel. Used small amout of sound deadener on the plastic door panel. It helped a little. Also used foam padding to cover the gaps in the dash speaker locations. This helped a little with keeping the front and back waves interfering with one another. I did all the install my self. Total system cost 2K plus. My deck a pioneer dvd 4400. I'm thinking about adding a sound processor to help tune the music.
topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topnotch For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #28
Skippman

Topnotch your system sounds awesome! Pics?