follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
RyleyMA61

Drives: '84 MA61 Supra, '88 Mercedes 500SEC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The invidia catback I had on my GT-R was brilliant. Sounded great, no drone, really good worksmanship. I have no idea where it came from and it wasn't important to me.
- 2012 ZN6 86 GTS - Hopefully coming in 2012...
RyleyMA61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyleyMA61 For This Useful Post:
1strwdcar (12-12-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
stratodyne

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Lightning Red
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Lol yes, I was hoping somebody would catch that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
A mole?
stratodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
A mole?
Naw man, that's 6.022 * 10^23.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-12-2012), Subie (12-12-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
stratodyne

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Lightning Red
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Dang, I was close. Was pulling that from memory. Tried not to use the interwebs. Oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Naw man, that's 6.022 * 10^23.
stratodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Its a foreign car, so the exhaust is supposed to be foreign!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
As far as drone, cabin noise, and raspyness are concerned, that has a lot to do with which style of exhaust you get, i.e. is it resonated, whats the muffler size/structure. Straight through/catless exhausts tend to be raspier and drone more. When picking out an exhaust, first look at quality, then decide what level and type of noise you want.

On my STI I had HKS and Invidia, both were great quality, both had very different styling and sound, at the end of the day its personal preference! Just my .02
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Ok maybe a pimple?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #22
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
On topic: As long as you do your homework and buy from a reputable company, it doesn't matter much it is made in China. There are really bad quality things coming from China but there are also very good high quality products coming from there. To answer your question asking why? it is because it is massed produced in the capital of the cheap world market.

Slightly off topic:

Everyone that says "you'd be surprised at the amount of things that are made in China", I am not surprised at all. I already know virtually everything is made in China this days. The bad thing is not whether its made in China or not. The main problem is that there are a LOT of low quality products coming off China. To give an example. Anyone can argue Macs are made in China and are amazing quality and I agree. The caveat is, they are made in China under strict regulations and processes from Apple, an American company. On the flip side, you get hundreds of iPad imitations made in China, and they are POS, because they are not held to any type of quality standard.

Although I wouldn't have gone to the most expensive exhaust system just because it was made in USA, I was willing to pay a bit more to get a system handcrafted here in the states, supporting jobs here at home and doing my homework to make sure it was a top of the line quality system and this is exactly what I got, an exhaust that screams quality, sounds amazing and from which I feel I got every penny worth.

This is my personal opinion and I don't judge whomever goes out and buys whatever comes from China and doesn't care one bit of quality, just looks for the lowest price possible.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
wichiewichie (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
jonbatz01

Drives: ZD8
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
On topic: As long as you do your homework and buy from a reputable company, it doesn't matter much it is made in China. There are really bad quality things coming from China but there are also very good high quality products coming from there. To answer your question asking why? it is because it is massed produced in the capital of the cheap world market.

Slightly off topic:

Everyone that says "you'd be surprised at the amount of things that are made in China", I am not surprised at all. I already know virtually everything is made in China this days. The bad thing is not whether its made in China or not. The main problem is that there are a LOT of low quality products coming off China. To give an example. Anyone can argue Macs are made in China and are amazing quality and I agree. The caveat is, they are made in China under strict regulations and processes from Apple, an American company. On the flip side, you get hundreds of iPad imitations made in China, and they are POS, because they are not held to any type of quality standard.

Although I wouldn't have gone to the most expensive exhaust system just because it was made in USA, I was willing to pay a bit more to get a system handcrafted here in the states, supporting jobs here at home and doing my homework to make sure it was a top of the line quality system and this is exactly what I got, an exhaust that screams quality, sounds amazing and from which I feel I got every penny worth.

This is my personal opinion and I don't judge whomever goes out and buys whatever comes from China and doesn't care one bit of quality, just looks for the lowest price possible.
well said.....for me its basically what gives me power is where ill go but of course i will be counting my HP/$....as far as i believe exhaust doesnt really give much output in terms of power, for me ill probably go the lightest ones >> Buddyclub Spec ii (probably made in taiwan)

As for the Invidia, i had a single exit one on my EVO X, all good nothing to complain and the quality was excellent.

On another note, i believe Ultimate Racing is from Canada? Had the Dump pipe + front pipe + high flow cat. Awesome quality and price, hoping for them to complete their R&D on the 86. Shows you dont have to charge triple the price just because you are made local.
Sportsguy83 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #24
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but out side of America, 'made in US' is usually a keep clear sign ;p
Esp with cars.. pretty much any US car sold in Aust has flopped apart from the Jeep Wrangler, and even then it's usually people who are prepared to pay the money to constantly fix it.
here are a few cars that flopped.. and broke
Taurus, PT Cruiser, Chrysler anything for that matter apart from the 300c

actually, put everything apart from the 300c :p

But yes, i would buy China over US most times, as long as the China stuff has been built properly.

but back on topic. it seems most after market companies are trying to wring every last dollar out of us.
I have been investigating getting some parts made over here, and what i have been quoted so far, for low volume, hand made products compared to the slightly more mass produced products is amazing. the markup is huge on some of this stuff in comparison.

*also, i bought my exhaust from the US, but was made in Japan..
so i am kinda supporting your industry. and none of mine
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbatz01 View Post
On another note, i believe Ultimate Racing is from Canada? Had the Dump pipe + front pipe + high flow cat. Awesome quality and price, hoping for them to complete their R&D on the 86. Shows you dont have to charge triple the price just because you are made local.
Thanks for the pointer. Looks like they are just a few miles from my office. I will be checking them out. Funny how I get the tip from an Aussie on a local Canadian shop!
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
zex (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadkiel View Post
My Invidia didn't have the fitment problems my "Made in America" Accelerated Performance catback did. Just because it may be "made in china" doesn't mean it's super awesome. You'd be surprised how many things are MiC these days.
That's why you don't buy Accelerated Performance stuff lol
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
VSGTS14
987 Motorsports

Drives: '13 WO FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
they are made in taiwan. and imported by jetworld/jetstar auto sports.

they are priced competitively. this does not mean they have cheaper parts. invidia stuff is very nice, i have been using them for a while and wouldn't buy anything else. they always fit perfect, look awesome, and sound great. it's a US company, but production is overseas for cost benefit. US born and grown products are going to cost more, because it costs them 10x more to make the stuff. look at killerbmotorsport, he makes his own products for the subaru wrx/sti, and barely makes a profit on each item sold. it took 2 years for him to finally break even after making his great header for the car, said my himself.

it's great to support the US with their products, sometimes they aren't the best. most of the time, some companies go the cheap route on parts in order to keep cost down while still building the part in the US. this is where you run into issues. i'd rather buy the quality stuff they build overseas, so it doesn't fall apart on me.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
dj petey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cost of labour in china $200/mth versus cost of labour in North America $2500/mth. That's why. Cost of raw materials and components in China are less than the Cost of raw materials in North America due to buying power and volume discounts that come with economies of scale.
dj petey is offline   Reply With Quote