follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
mugen79

Drives: Ultramarine FRS(MT), IS350(sold)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86- View Post
I like K&N, but to be honest I'm scared to go for it just because many reviews say it doesn't filter small particles. Have you used it for a long time with your previous cars?
I had K&N with my Lexus IS350 and had 50000 miles with it and had no issues
mugen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
It's only 3 complimentary oil changes and they aren't just going to void your warranty if you have an intake installed while you are getting your oil changed.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #31
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86- View Post
I like K&N, but to be honest I'm scared to go for it just because many reviews say it doesn't filter small particles. Have you used it for a long time with your previous cars?
I had K&N filters in both my 93 Mustang(193,000 miles on it) and my 99 F250 diesel(247,000 miles and still going strong). Both of them had K&N's from day 1. I wouldn't worry about them, just keep them clean and oiled correctly.
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #32
FT-86-

Drives: Sexy Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post
I had K&N filters in both my 93 Mustang(193,000 miles on it) and my 99 F250 diesel(247,000 miles and still going strong). Both of them had K&N's from day 1. I wouldn't worry about them, just keep them clean and oiled correctly.
How often do you clean/oil it?
FT-86- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
I would end up cleaning it every 15,000 miles or so. I live down a gravel road, so I would check it every oil change(5000 miles). I finally tore the Mustang's motor down at 193,000 miles, and the bearings were worn, but the cylinders looked good(probably due to the low tension oil rings).
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #34
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Im using the HKS and im lovin' it!
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #35
JoeBoxer

After using both now i can recommend Perrin and Cosworth, the Perrin has to be cleaned and re-oiled, the Cosworth is a dry filter you can probably clean it out once but is probably only good for 20k miles total.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
ChaChas345
Banned

Drives: Corolla
Why not get the WORKS drop in? It has the best dyno of all the drop ins right now available and only costs a little more. The dyno on their site is from a poster who posts on these forums. Its in the post with the muffler delete they offer that he bought also. For just a little more you get better performance then some of the intakes on the market for less then a 1/3 of the price of intakes such as Airaid which lost power and other intakes. The only intake better then this drop in is the Injen.

He said that they replaced the oem filter with that and dyno the car right after dynoing it stock. Those were the results of his car and he also said that another car got 18 whp but the car was a turbo car. If anything it will probably still out perform all the other drop ins by a couple whp if it doesnt get 10 whp. I would feel much more comfortable getting theirs since it is triple layered while all the other filters are only double. Triple layered and better performance. I would feel much more safer using that then a double filter that claims to get more air through. Since it is triple layered you can probably be safer about not having to over oiling it in case you do and end up clogging the MAF.
ChaChas345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
JoeBoxer

Skeptical about the WORKS drop in gains, until i see similar results from multiple tests i won't believe it. Another company on here claimed 20hp from an exhaust and said thats all that was done to it too.

How's that commercial go? Something about they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #38
ChaChas345
Banned

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Skeptical about the WORKS drop in gains, until i see similar results from multiple tests i won't believe it. Another company on here claimed 20hp from an exhaust and said thats all that was done to it too.

How's that commercial go? Something about they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true?
That was probably Agency Power/Vivid and we all know how bad of a company they are. They have over 10 years of horrible service/lies on all their products. No surprise they were shitted on on this forum when they tried to push their products with a bunch of bullshit dynos.

Since a poster was the one who did the dyno I would feel a lot safer then if they did the dyno them selves. Of course it will take time for us to see if thats true but in the end it cant be that hard to fuck up on a drop in filter. If you do a google search on their other drop in for other cars dyno results on other forums you will see that their claims are consistent with other peoples dynos for that drop in filter for that car.

All dynos are different though and different conditions so people shouldnt expect exactly similar results but I would atleast expect it to do better then other drop in filters that get about 3 whp. I would hope to see it atleast double the ones currently out and if it does better then at least you would be more satisfied with the purchase. I will definitely post my results when I order it. But I will be getting the Perrin un resonated cat back before I do that.
ChaChas345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #39
pr086

Drives: fast
for those of you with experience changing the filter, what is the correct way to close up the air box? mine was closed incorecctly from the factory showing a little bit of the stock filter at the top of the seem when looking at it from the front.

i opened the box to adjust the stock filter but when i close it back up it still shows some of the filter at the top. how do you get it to sit right and close all the way back up?
pr086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #40
JoeBoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr086 View Post
for those of you with experience changing the filter, what is the correct way to close up the air box? mine was closed incorecctly from the factory showing a little bit of the stock filter at the top of the seem when looking at it from the front.

i opened the box to adjust the stock filter but when i close it back up it still shows some of the filter at the top. how do you get it to sit right and close all the way back up?
I posted in your other thread an option to fix it.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #41
Razz

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Dyno's for a drop in filter are all going to be in the margin of error. I would get whichever you prefer, oiled or dry and a quality brand. I don't think any of them are so great you could tell a difference.
There is a smart man.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:
zooki (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #42
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChas345 View Post
That was probably Agency Power/Vivid and we all know how bad of a company they are. They have over 10 years of horrible service/lies on all their products. No surprise they were shitted on on this forum when they tried to push their products with a bunch of bullshit dynos.

Since a poster was the one who did the dyno I would feel a lot safer then if they did the dyno them selves. Of course it will take time for us to see if thats true but in the end it cant be that hard to fuck up on a drop in filter. If you do a google search on their other drop in for other cars dyno results on other forums you will see that their claims are consistent with other peoples dynos for that drop in filter for that car.

All dynos are different though and different conditions so people shouldnt expect exactly similar results but I would atleast expect it to do better then other drop in filters that get about 3 whp. I would hope to see it atleast double the ones currently out and if it does better then at least you would be more satisfied with the purchase. I will definitely post my results when I order it. But I will be getting the Perrin un resonated cat back before I do that.
where do i buy this drop in? Maybe i can go get it dynoed (car's got a SRT headerback but did dynos for that as well)
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote