follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't know about changing heart, but anyone who truly loves driving/sports cars can't honestly say this is a shitty car.

Even Clarkson loves it!!!
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
People need to just drop the stigma of the 'Scion' brand and get their ass in the seat and go for a drive. Once that happens, most will see what this car is about. There are still the power hungry that can't live with less than 300HP. I get it, you need the oomph because you simply can't extract the power effectively from our engines. Thankfully, the aftermarket is offering a ton for power increases already as seen by SEMA.

I will say this though, it was ZN6 overload and I think a lot of folks are getting burnt out on our cars from the exposure at SEMA.

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chupacabra For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (11-12-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
I love my FR-S and the biggest group of people that talk crap about the car are the big civic fans. They seem to really have something against the car. On the other hand FR-S people are talking crap about a lot of cars that are clearly 3x more expensive and 3x better. Like an FR-S guy that was trying to talk crap about my friends Ferrari 458 and my Z06 I own an FR-S and I know my corvette is better but it also came with a much larger price tag. Thankfully he is not on this forum I feel he would just instigate problems.
Or we'd all ignore him and he'd get bored and leave That sort of thing is just human nature. Be it cars, sports, pets, fashion, you name it there will always be some insecure types who feel the need to make themselves feel better by knocking everyone else. When I see that it just makes me feel grateful that I am able to enjoy and appreciate the differences and not feel threatened by them

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
People need to just drop the stigma of the 'Scion' brand and get their ass in the seat and go for a drive. .
Maybe that may happen with the Scion brand name,...KIA kind of shocked everyone with a serious effort in Grand Am Sports car series. Now with Scion entering with a more worthy car in a higher class,...who knows. I expect in the tighter circuits the little FSR should have a pretty good showing.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (11-02-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I won't have a change of heart with Scion. As long as they keep stripping cars down to base and not offering options, they will always be crap to me. I don't care about price, base models will never go up. Options will add price, that's how it works. You pay for what you get.

Scion just doesn't deliver the goods. If the car was a Toyota, they would have. In my case anyway.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I won't have a change of heart with Scion. As long as they keep stripping cars down to base and not offering options, they will always be crap to me. I don't care about price, base models will never go up. Options will add price, that's how it works. You pay for what you get.

Scion just doesn't deliver the goods. If the car was a Toyota, they would have. In my case anyway.
Scion as a brand is pretty meh. But discounting the FR-S because you don't have 5 different trim levels, with about 100 different options?!? The FR-S is a sports car, in fact it's exactly what you need from a sports car from Japan. It's cheap, it's quick, and it's made to upgrade. This car has become an overnight sensation because of this. The fact that no other car recently released has come close to the level of aftermarket support this car has should tell you something.

I guess if you really need heated seats and a magic butt tickler in your car this isn't for you. For those of us who wanted a pure sports car that won't break the bank to own, there really is no other option.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Anyone who has owned or driven a Civic Si from the last 6-7 years, or an RSX-S shouldn't dare talk shit about the twins performance, unless they are just plain ignorant. Now people coming from muscle cars might have a point, until you mention the cost difference at which point it then becomes about which car looks and/or handles better.
I own a RSX base and I should say that the number one thing I hate about my car is the engine with a passion. Now I know the type S makes a extra little 40 hp above 6500 rpms and I'm still not impressed by that. It has been reliable and gas friendly and that's the only thing positive I can say about it. The problem for me was when I test drove the 350Z and some other cars I realized I was driving the wrong car altogether. I think the only thing I'll like more about the FRS/BRZ over my RSX is the balance handling that comes with RWD since I hate the fact that my car has about 62%-63% of its weight on the front. If that's all I get in the BRZ then I won't be a 100% impress but I'll be impress nonetheless.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I own a RSX base and I should say that the number one thing I hate about my car is the engine with a passion. Now I know the type S makes a extra little 40 hp above 6500 rpms and I'm still not impressed by that. It has been reliable and gas friendly and that's the only thing positive I can say about it. The problem for me was when I test drove the 350Z and some other cars I realized I was driving the wrong car altogether. I think the only thing I'll like more about the FRS/BRZ over my RSX is the balance handling that comes with RWD since I hate the fact that my car has about 62%-63% of its weight on the front. If that's all I get in the BRZ then I won't be a 100% impress but I'll be impress nonetheless.
That doesn't affect what I was saying. On the Civic forums people say the FR-S is slow, when in reality it is nearly identical in straight line performance(not handling) to both the 8th and 9th gen Si, and any year RSX-S.

Therefore anyone claiming the FR-S is slow while owning one of the above cars, is simply an idiot OR they are calling their own car slow. I don't know about the rest of you, but anything that does 0-60 anywhere in the 6 second range, even 6.9, feels pretty quick to me when compared to nothing else.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
a18ttc

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Top down, summer car. Try convince him.
a18ttc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a18ttc For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
truenosan

Drives: 13 Firestorm FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
I guess if you really need heated seats and a magic butt tickler in your car this isn't for you.
truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
Keith_086

Drives: Volkswagen R32
I have a 2008 Volkswagen R32. I'm test driving The FRS Saturday afternoon. So ill comment back lol
Keith_086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
iamkyle

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an FR-S on order. I'm a current owner of a base RSX, the one thing i loved about the RSX was how light it was and the feel you get while driving it. The FR-S takes the driving experience to the next level, i have test drove new gen coupe's but i just didn't enjoy the extra weight and the feel of the car.

I definitely expect people to hate on me for the car but there all just morons to me.
iamkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
Keith_086

Drives: Volkswagen R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-86 View Post
I was a skeptic when the FR-S came out, but now own one as a daily driver. I think it's an awesome platform, but needs another 100 hp from the factory. I would have bought a used Elise instead for 25k, but can't justify owning two two-seaters with a wife, child, and another on the way..
That sounds eerily like a YouTube video I saw reviewing/comparing the frs, used Elise, and Hyundai genesis coupe 2.0t...although that guy said another 40hp not 100hp... I take it you watched that video also lol?
Keith_086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
200whp is enough for daily driving... I mean the car is QUICK....but not fast...